• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New 1911

nuclabuyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2010
Nucla, Co
So I am thinking of getting a new 1911. I have always wanted a Kimber and I also want it to be a 4". So from what I can tell I am looking at the Kimber Pro line. I have narrowed it down to a Eclipse Pro and a Pro Covert II. Is there a preferance? I like the eclipse because of the steel frame idea, but then the Covert is so damn sexy. Any one care to give me pro's and con's of these two. I dont carry a weapon in this town,so it would be more for 3 gun and some pistol games, that is about all it would be used for
thanks

Re: New 1911

Just make sure it doesn't have that schwartz safety and you will be fine. I like many other makers over Kimber, but if you are set on them have at it.

Josh

I'd swing for the eclipse. I see no need for an aluminum frame on a commander.

Does Kimber use ramped barrels on any of their 45's ?

I recommend avoiding all series II Kimbers unless there 600 bucks or less, get a Springfield

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NBly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd swing for the eclipse. I see no need for an aluminum frame on a commander.

Does Kimber use ramped barrels on any of their 45's ? </div></div>

WTF are you talking about?
S&W uses either forged stainless or scandium on their frames.
It is Kimber that uses aluminum frames on LW 1911s.
If you know enough to recommend the guy buy a Kimber then you should know, through experience, what you are talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i junked ALL my Kimber's years ago........... </div></div>

Have not junked all of mine. I still own a very early production 5" and a Yonkers stamped alloy framed compact. I bought one Eclipse II. What a bust!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i junked ALL my Kimber's years ago........... </div></div>

Have not junked all of mine. I still own a very early production 5" and a Yonkers stamped alloy framed compact. I bought one Eclipse II. What a bust!!
</div></div>

yeah...............the early classic were good, but i went thru all the brain damage with subsequent offerings.....i'm old enough to not believe all the marketing shrill that abounds....

If you are set on a Kimber, so be it. If so, stay away from any Kimber II / Schwartz safety system, unless reliability & dependability is low on your list.

There is some excellent reading on 10-8performance.com in the "Articles" drop-downs.

Kevin

My father owns a Gold Match but it was a very early model that is very accurate and dependable. However over the years ive been told and read that kimbers QC gone down hill, not anything like what was first offered when they came on the scene. I know when they first came out they were hand built with Chip Mccormick parts and were really good guns.

However right now its very hard to look past the TRP operator from Springfield Armory. That would be my first on the list 1911 right now for the money

Well, after all the people above telling me to avoid them maybe I will look at some thing else. I spent alot of time looking at them so now what do you recommend? I have heard dan wesson 1911 are better then kimber. What about Para? I cant spend alot more then the 1400 for a pistol. I was looking at the Nighthawk customs but I cant swing that at the moment, also I am not sure that I want to swing that kind of money for a 1911. So forget the kimber and let me know what you think I should start looking at?

thanks
nathan

I would first make a list of what you want .
you mentioned just for GUN games etc..
I'd start with a series 70
Then a price point
what type of sights
does it have quality parts
and the list goes on
you can start with a $800 gun and before you know it have ALLOT
of coin in it
a used springfield trp , or lesbaer on gun broker is a very good start. good luck (1911s are like potato chips)

STI Trojan would be worth your look, if you really want a competition gun. It's 5" though (6" available too)

I had a taurus 1911 that I traded for money for the kimber. It was a good gun. Looking for wedge sights, 4" barrel, dont want anything with the words tactical in it. I am wanting something like the pro covert but with out the trouble everyone is talking about with the Kimbers.

I was looking at the STI's and I can not stand the HUGE stamp they put on the side. They maybe great guns and I am sure they are, but that is a complete turn off for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nuclabuyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a taurus 1911 that I traded for money for the kimber. It was a good gun. Looking for wedge sights, 4" barrel, dont want anything with the words tactical in it. I am wanting something like the pro covert but with out the trouble everyone is talking about with the Kimbers. </div></div>

If you want this for competition, why do you want a 4" gun? Or are you simply looking for something that will also carry?

Dan Wesson VBOB. 4"
Dan Wesson Valor, or Springer TRP for a 5"
If you are to only have 1 1911, I would go for a 5", but if you are set on a commander, I would go with the vbob.

If you're price range is $1400 and below, look towards the Springfield TRP. Springfield offers a lot of options/custom features for a very good price. Get a full size 5" pistol, you don't need a 4" gun if you're mainly looking at doing competition/fun shooting. If you decide to use the full size pistol for carry you will also be fine. 1911's are very slim and I carry a commander or full size everyday for my concealment pistol.
Look in the used section on here, try and find a nice model that is used. It will save you a lot of money buying it used. I carry Les Baer and absolutely love them. I get amazing accuracy out of them and good reliability. You have to set a price range and look around for a deal. Try this forum as well for 1911 specific info:

http://forum.m1911.org/forums.php

Mainly I like the look of the 4", I had a 5" and I was wanting something a little smaller. I dont know what it is about people stamping a bunch of shit all over the side of the slide, but that is such a turnoff. I was looking at an STI Trojan and it has the Trojan taking up the whole 1 side of the slide, YUK. Same with springfield, has the name, the logo, also not what I like. I do like the Dan Wesson, the model was a Valor and the model was small and elegant, didnt look like a bullet firing Billboard. I dont want to say that they arent good, I am sure that they guns are well worth the money. But when I spend that much money I dont want all the advertising on the side. I dont mind a name and model and acually prefer it. But I dont need the block lettering bigger then the gun itself.

I think I am going to look more at the Dan Wesson 1911. Maybe the Valor. I will look a little more

I've owned a Dan Wesson Valor. It was a great value for the money. I've kicked myself for selling it ever since. It was a real tack-driver. Double thumbs up!

I havent had a chance to look at the difference between the guardian and the valor, but I am going to research that now.

Also take a look at the Sig 1911's. I have a 5" target model and a C3 (4.25"). Both of them shoot like a dream

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are those sig 1911's good quality and reliable? </div></div>

I have no personal experience, but the buzz is non-standard parts and reliability problems with some of SIG 1911s. Were it me and I were looking for a middle-of-the-road 1911, I'd go Dan Wesson or SA. I know that a $1500 pistol probably doesn't sound too MOR, but it is what it is, and what it is isn't spending $2 or $3K on a designer gun. I've got a Kimber, and it's somewhat marginal, but could probably be fixed with a "parts flush" and some tuning. The question is $.

I have a Limber TE II with the schwartz safety, 684 trouble free rounds though it. Never had a malfunction. Take a look at the Warrior if you don't want the schwartz safety, it almost exactly the same as my TE II without the scwartz and magwell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nuclabuyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, after all the people above telling me to avoid them maybe I will look at some thing else. I spent alot of time looking at them so now what do you recommend? I have heard dan wesson 1911 are better then kimber. What about Para? I cant spend alot more then the 1400 for a pistol. I was looking at the Nighthawk customs but I cant swing that at the moment, also I am not sure that I want to swing that kind of money for a 1911. So forget the kimber and let me know what you think I should start looking at?

thanks
nathan </div></div>

Remember there are lots of opinions out on the net. For everyone telling you Kimbers are junk there is someone like me with 9k rounds through their aluminum Kimber Pro still carrying it every day over the Springers and Colts sitting in the safe. All good weapons with their own pluses and minuses. Might be just a little more but I'd throw Les Baer in the mix if you are looking at DWs. Stingers and Commanches can be found for about $1600 new. Not the prettiest guns but if you need a rock solid workhorse LB is worth a look.

Just buy an STI Spartan and be done with it.

If you have money to burn, spend more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are those sig 1911's good quality and reliable? </div></div>

I have no personal experience, but the buzz is non-standard parts and reliability problems with some of SIG 1911s. Were it me and I were looking for a middle-of-the-road 1911, I'd go Dan Wesson or SA. I know that a $1500 pistol probably doesn't sound too MOR, but it is what it is, and what it is isn't spending $2 or $3K on a designer gun. I've got a Kimber, and it's somewhat marginal, but could probably be fixed with a "parts flush" and some tuning. The question is $. </div></div>

I have a SIG 1911 XO. Put about 3500 rounds through it and not a single jam, FTF. The magazines are a bit shit however but the money you save spending $700 on getting one you can get the creme de la creme of magazines and still have plenty left over for ammo. The pistol shoots as well, very accurate right out of the box.

It's a 5" however.

Everyone that I know that ownes one love it . If I want a cheap gun I will get a glock . Other 1911s just figure that you should replace the inner parts and then it starts costing $$$$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 1911? If so how is it? </div></div>

It is absolute shit in every way possible.

Dan Wesson RZ45 Heritage. Excellent machining. Excellent fitting. No MIM. Great customer service, or so I have heard.

This pistol will never leave my possession. I can't recommend it enough.

If you are target shooting stick to 5" (or government size) pistols with a steel frame. Longer sight radius and more mass to absorb recoil.

DSC00375.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Volkmann, Nighthawk, STI, or a Wilson
Buy once cry once </div></div>

I agree with you, but not for carry in all circumstances. Where I live we deal with a large city that has very much raised the black flag against licensed carriers and does everything that it can to be the exception in a shall-issue state, up to and including seizure of weapons without probably cause, legal precedent, or laws on the books that would sustain such practices. I would never carry a pistol there that was worth more than $1,500, and really hate like hell to carry anything that's worth more than $300. Seriously, it's Beater City.

For the money, you won't beat an STI. Only thing I don't like about the single stacks is that they use thin grips which makes it feel blocky. I love my 2011 Eagle but it took some work on my part to solidify reliability.

I cried 15 years ago when I bought my Les Baer. Still have it and haven't cried since.

I bought a Kimber Custom base full size model, fixed sights, blued in '99 or '00 and started using it exclusively for classes. In fact I put away all my other centerfire pistols and have only been using this one Kimber since then. Eventually I got a .22 conversion for it and put away my other rimfires too.

I averaged around 5 classes per year until '08 using this Kimber, easily put 25k rounds through it if not more.

So far I'm on my 3rd slide stop and 2nd safety, why that stuff keeps breaking on me I have no idea. Usually change the spring out every 2k rounds or so, had it reblued since it was worn down to bare metal around the muzzle and wherever the holster drug against it. sweat + sunscreen + bare steel = INSTANT RUST!

Sometime around '03 (?) I was in a class with John Jardine (the Valtro guy) and he commented that I had the worst running 1911 he had seen in a long time. I was awesome at malfunction drills because mine would fail to extract or double feed or stove pipe or something a couple times an hour (I have 16 mags I rotate through so it wasn't bad mags). He took it and did some basic clean up work and after that it's run pretty flawlessly using those same mags which are a mix of blued and stainless 'shooting star' and wilsons.

I finally got him to install one of his hook sights on it in '07 and while picking it up at his place he showed me a bucket of broken Kimber slides. Apparently they started getting pretty random on the quality of their metal and if you get a good one it runs forever, if you get a crap one it will crack. He went on about slides being too hard and cracking and inferior/inconsistent metal being used, etc. If I hadn't seen that bucket of junk I would be skeptical too. I must have a good one since it's still together but buying a new one seems like it would be a crap shoot at this point.

I still trust mine, it's my "go to" gun, but it's had the bugs shaken out of it. If I had to buy new... tough call.

Here is where it sits most days now, resting on it's own fluffy bunny pillow:

kimber.jpg

What about the new Ruger 1911 or SA Range Officer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 1911? If so how is it? </div></div>

It is absolute shit in every way possible. </div></div>

Not true. This is what I had for about a year before wanting something with a shorter barrel. I had 3-4k throught it. Shot like a dream. If they made a 4" I wouldnt have asked this question, I would own it. I dont want STI, looks terrible with the huge letters down the side. Just cant do it. For all those who dont like that answer sorry, but my money and I dont like it. I am much more interested in the Dan Wesson and I would love and Ed Brown if I could afford that but I have to many projects and guns as it is. I also like the looks of Kimbers and I have shot them in the past but the amount of people that have had trouble with them, I dont really want to bother with them. Thanks for the input that I have got, I appreciate all the help and all the personal experiance with you guns

nathan

You may enjoy looking at Ed Browns offerings. Yes they're costly but extremely reliable, not too bad too look at either. I have many rounds thru one and have never regreted the purchase. If they would offer the Executive Carry in aluminum I'd buy another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nuclabuyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 1911? If so how is it? </div></div>

It is absolute shit in every way possible. </div></div>

Not true. This is what I had for about a year before wanting something with a shorter barrel. I had 3-4k throught it. Shot like a dream. If they made a 4" I wouldnt have asked this question, I would own it. I dont want STI, looks terrible with the huge letters down the side. Just cant do it. For all those who dont like that answer sorry, but my money and I dont like it. I am much more interested in the Dan Wesson and I would love and Ed Brown if I could afford that but I have to many projects and guns as it is. I also like the looks of Kimbers and I have shot them in the past but the amount of people that have had trouble with them, I dont really want to bother with them. Thanks for the input that I have got, I appreciate all the help and all the personal experiance with you guns

nathan </div></div>

Not saying anything about Taurus reliability but, you don't like the large lettering on the side of the STI and own a Taurus? Unless yours is very different from the ones I have seen the Taurus has extremely large lettering down its side as well.

Josh

Ya it did have lettering down the side and I didnt really like it. But I also traded off something I didnt like about it for the price. When I start stepping up to the 1500-2000 dollar mark. I dont want something that I think is ok. For that amount of money I should be able to find a well built gun with everything that I want, just the way I want. Also the taurus was a laser engraved emblem, I am sure I could have had that removed fairly cheaply. On the STI the model lettering is twice as big and is milled in. Like I said before, the amount a reviews that the STI gets there is no doubt that it is a very fine weapon, but I dont want it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nuclabuyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For that amount of money I should be able to find a well built gun with everything that I want, just the way I want.</div></div>

That is most likely a pipe dream. Full custom 1911s (based on your requirements for "just the way you want it") run well north of 2K.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nuclabuyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For that amount of money I should be able to find a well built gun with everything that I want, just the way I want.</div></div>

That is most likely a pipe dream. Full custom 1911s (based on your requirements for "just the way you want it") run well north of 2K.

Josh</div></div>
Couldn't agree more on that. Most high end "production guns" without the "special orders don't upset us" start at $2,500. I am sure a totally custom get everything you want Taurus would be 1/4 that.
smile.gif
But you can always bondo over the lettering or use some bubble gum and krylon.