• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new .22 decision

NEW SHOOTER

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2010
Horse Shoe , NC
My wife to be might get me a .22 for a present. I am hot for the 10/22 tactical or the H&K 416 .22. Yes I know they are very different,but think both are very cool? Any thoughts

Re: new .22 decision

I picked up the Ruger SR22 (dressed up 10/22) a while back. looked at the H&K, a austrian made gsg and the S&W a lot of guys want something true to full size AR? but I just wanted a fun ass plinker that shoots real straight the 10/22 is a tried and true design...no BS... just shoots! Factory triggers suck, out of the box it shot about 3/4 to 1" at 50yds and about best was 21/2" at 100

Another good thing about 10/22's they have a ton of exellent aftermarket parts and easy to work on without machine shop access. Put on a Green mountain match barrel and trigger kit Gun now shoots less tha 1/2" at 50 yds and easily keep 1" at 100 off a good rest. No FTF's in to date in a couple bricks of shells. Fun little gun.

Build a 10/22.

Buy a MOA stainless action, barrel from whomever you want, the rest of the internals from whoever you want, and make it as tactical as you want, sans the shitty plastic factory stuff

My personally would get a 10/22 and a Kidd two stage trigger for it. You will have the same money in it as you would the HK, but you would have a platform that would shoot.

If you want an AR 22 then get a dedicated upper and slap it on a standard AR lower. Much better way to go...

I got the Tac 10/22 and put a Vortex Viper 2x7 with Butler Creek caps on it. Used Seekins rings and Tactical Solutions 15 moa base. Changed the bolt release so that it would quick release and am having fun with it. Not a tack driver but it shoots good enough.

IMHO, it's hard to beat a 10/22. You can pick up a used one for a song, it is a tried and true platform, there are more parts and accessories made for it than and other 22, it will function with any ammo you feed it, it's easy to work on for anyone with a basic knowledge of firearms, it's pretty accurate right out of the box, and it's just a fun gun to shoot. Put in an action shim kit, tuffer buffer, decent barrel, a good optic, and whatever stock suits you and you will have a super reliable tack driver. Check out www.triggershims.com for some good stuff.

Went and looked at both. I went with the H&K. I just really thought it was nice. Very fun to shoot. My friend bought an ISSC (FN clone I never heard of). Not tack drivers-just VERY cool.

Whatever werks for ya. What was the point of the question?

10/22 have good track record and unbelievable options for aftermarket. Dont know anythign about the 416 clone. If you ur just wanting to go out and have a good time with. Just go with a fun gun. Doesnt have to be a tack driver to be a good pop can shooter or gun and gun 22. Althought if if your thinking upgrade possiblites 10/22 all the way, just to much aftermarket stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever werks for ya. What was the point of the question? </div></div>

If you read the first post you would see that I was just asking for opinions and thought about each gun.Sorry to have you waste your time reading my question.

If you want an auto for a low-cost training option for your carbine, the M&P15-22 is getting very good reviews. If you are a tinkerer, the 10-22 is tops.

I read the first post, you got several replies giving opinions and basically saying the same thing and you ignored them all because it was "Cool."

Why bother asking?

When I bought a 10/22 I just bought the standard version and added an ATI Fiberforse Stock and Tech-Sights. I also bought a couple Butler Creek (steel lip) 25 round magazines.

I've since removed the Tech-Sights in favor of the Simmons .22 MAG - Model 511072 3-9x32 A/O Scope. Which I'll add, I like very much.

Nice thing about a Ruger 10/22 is you can always add and take away, and add something different here and there,,, get a better trigger, different profile stock,,, pretty much endless options, and expensive. Well worth the purchase however when you factor in all the enjoyment you get from it.

Not saying the H&K won't be as enjoyable as I'm sure it is. Our tactical rifle's are what we make of them and what strikes our fancy at the time of purchase. I don't feel there are any poor purchases if that purchase gives enjoyment in return.
smile.gif

For the price that tactical 10/22 s fetch you probably made a good decision. As suggested a used 10/22 or just the receiver is a good start. Then add the 16" bull barrel, hogue stock, and bipod if you desire probably for hundreds less. I could be wrong but I think the HK licensed rimfires are made by an airsoft company much like the GSG 5

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm17</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I could be wrong but I think the HK licensed rimfires are made by an airsoft company much like the GSG 5</div></div>
From what I understand- the h&k,gsg,and colt rimfires are all made by Umerex(sp?). It says it on the gun and on the box it says made by Carl Walther.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't feel there are any poor purchases if that purchase gives enjoyment in return.
smile.gif
</div></div>
Bingo

Hope you have fun with your new rimfire! That's all that matters. When/if it ever gets boreing for you, pick up something else
wink.gif

You can't go wrong with the good ol' Ruger 10/22. I feel it is the most adaptable .22 LR on the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NEW SHOOTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm17</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I could be wrong but I think the HK licensed rimfires are made by an airsoft company much like the GSG 5</div></div>
From what I understand- the h&k,gsg,and colt rimfires are all made by Umerex(sp?). It says it on the gun and on the box it says made by Carl Walther. </div></div>

I wad being lazy and not fact checking. Hk contracted with Umarex in response to German Sporting Guns Gmb wild success in marketing basically an airsoft shell around around a 22. They are actually different but only because HK sued GSG so that GSG 5s are no longer parts compatible with Hk brand accessories. It wouldn't make sense for Umarex to market the same weapon twice.

Useless factoids made manifest.

(that sounds totally dickish but that's not my intent)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Our tactical rifle's are what we make of them and what strikes our fancy at the time of purchase. I don't feel there are any poor purchases if that purchase gives enjoyment in return.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Amen to that, and truer words were never spoken. Although all my centerfire rifles (except an FR7 closet queen) are based on the AR platform, my .22s have all been bolt action. So, when I got another .22 the other day, did I go with an AR-22 "trainer"? Nope, for some strange reason I just had to have a Mark II TR...

I have the same disease, I get these overwhelming urges to get something new which I ususally need like a hole in the head, especially in the 22 market. They are a ton of fun, no reloading, easy to find places to shoot, and reasonably inexpensive compared to mid to high end centerfires. Guess I would better off if I would stay the hell out of gun stores, but a guy has to do something for himself?

Good shooting and remember to have fun out there...otherwise really... what's the point?

OK, At this point I am having a bit of buyers remorse. My friend picked up tricked out 10/22and it is awesome!!!I am a dumb ass. Nothing wrong with the HK, just wish I would have went the other way as all of you said. 10/22 is awesome but I like the Savage mk 2 trsr as well. I know apples and oranges. Too many choices not enough cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NEW SHOOTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife to be might get me a .22 for a present. I am hot for the 10/22 tactical or the H&K 416 .22. Yes I know they are very different,but think both are very cool? Any thoughts </div></div>Both are excellent, but you might want to also think about the Smith and Wesson version as well.

Kinda surprised no-one has shouted up for the Sig 522 yet. I was going through the same dilemma a few months ago, and if you are in the market for a tacticool .22 the S&W MP 15-22 or the Sig 522 seem to be the rifles to go for. As others have said, the HK 416 is an Umarex gun with similar internals to the Colt.

*Shameless photo of my new toy*

xdz2ax.jpg

Hard to beat the 10/22 for aftermarket parts and availability. They are also fun to build!