• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New .22lr repeater action

Dick D

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2002
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks
Well, today we had one of the new Hall .22lr repeater actions come into the shop and I must say, this is first class.
Same diameter as a Reminton and uses Remington type triggers.
Clips are lightly modified Sako clips, apears to be the same as on my Finnfire but lightly modified on the front. Rear tang is a thicker BR type tang and would take some building up of the stock's rear tang to look good, but otherwise should fit in any Remington type stock. It's not cheap at $975 plus $50 for the Sako 5-round clips but we can fit it into all the
Rem. spec stocks with a bit of tang work. I think I will call Allan tomorrow and see if he would consider doing a "rem tang" version on special order.

Re: New .22lr repeater action

Not to sound like a douche, but what causes the extremely high price of these actions? It surely doesnt cost Stiller, or Hall a grand to make a damn rimfire action...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to sound like a douche, but what causes the extremely high price of these actions? It surely doesnt cost Stiller, or Hall a grand to make a damn rimfire action... </div></div>

Because machinists doing gun work are used to making obscene profits...

The whole idea that a 338 Lapua-rated suppressor could cost $2K to $3K still freaks me out when it's machined out of less than $100 of metal, even with an Inconel blast baffle.

I'm sure if someone came out with a $5K suppressor or a $2K rimfire action, some idiot would go out and buy it.

-David
Edgewood, NM

I think it is more basic than that. True benchrest grade tolerances and metal work, and making them in runs of 20 or 50 at a time instead of 2000 or 5000.

Its being built as a benchrest shooters gun, not a tactical. As soon as you attach the word "competition" the price doubles at least no matter what the item - sometimes so does the quality.

I know Hall makes some good stuff. But since it doesn't drop in to a Remmy Chassis without grinding on a $1000 investment, I'll go ahead and keep shooting my 40XB single shot.

I would be interested to see this if they change the action and make it a Rem700 clone like the 40xb is. Still waiting for Skunkworks actions so maybe this one will come faster and maybe more affordable. Who knows. Do you have any pictures you can take of it?

I did talk to Allen Hall today and we had quite a chat. These actions are designed and intended for the benchrest shooters as that's his primary market. He has three guns he shoots in the rimfire bench matches and on his indoor 45 yd. range all will shoot 5 shot groups in the .1"s and sometimes sub-.1's. Anything less than that is just not competitive in his matches.
He wasn't too thrilled about reshaping a rear tang to blend in with a Remington stock tang but said it could be done, probably about $75 or so. He makes his actions in lots of 50 at a time and if there was some interest he could just make a run of them at no extra cost.
You can see pictures of the action on his web-site at www.hallmfg.com. I don't need another .22rf rifle as I have a half dozen or so, but I will admit it's got me thinking.

I did talk to Allen Hall today and we had quite a chat. These actions are designed and intended for the benchrest shooters as that's his primary market. He has three guns he shoots in the rimfire bench matches and on his indoor 45 yd. range all will shoot 5 shot groups in the .1"s and sometimes sub-.1's. Anything less than that is just not competitive in his matches.
He wasn't too thrilled about reshaping a rear tang to blend in with a Remington stock tang but said it could be done, probably about $75 or so. He makes his actions in lots of 50 at a time and if there was some interest he could just make a run of them at no extra cost.
You can see pictures of the action on his web-site at www.hallmfg.com. I don't need another .22rf rifle as I have a half dozen or so, but I will admit it's got me thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to sound like a douche, but what causes the extremely high price of these actions? It surely doesnt cost Stiller, or Hall a grand to make a damn rimfire action... </div></div>

It seems that most people that are interested in a high quality 22LR would drop $900 for the action. A US marked 40X is $700-$900. Most get rid of the stock and many rebarrel the action so the action is costing $600 to $800 depending upon what you sell the parts for and you don't have a repeater.

$900 action plus maybe $600 for a barrel, $800 for a stock, $200 for a trigger...$2500 for a repeater that you could step into most any rimfire competition and compete. Alot of coin but alot of rifle.

Pat

It's not uncommon for smallbore silhouette competitors to buy an Anschutz barreled action, junk the barrel, rebarrel and after stock with bottom metal, $2500 or more before mounts and optics.

nmmi9100Because machinists doing gun work are used to making obscene profits... The whole idea that a 338 Lapua-rated suppressor could cost $2K to $3K still freaks me out when it's machined out of less than $100 of metal said:
<span style="font-weight: bold">OBSCENE PROFITS </span>- WTF!!!! I don't know of anyone getting super rich of of any type of machining let alone firearms industry specific, after you invest $250,000+ in tooling, add basic shop overhead, make payments on a few CNC's then work 70-80hrs + a week. The wage dosen't look so great,especially after taxes and BATFE fee's and ITAR fee's,

Believe Me- Alan Hall, Preston Prichard, Jerry Stiller, and the others in this industry all have something in common, they make high quality products that command a price equitable for the quality of materials and time that go into making them. If you want cheap, buy a factory action but don't compare apples to pineapples...........

And if you think you can make a better .338 can, cheaper, <span style="font-weight: bold">do it </span>,the market will tell you if you were right. Just don't forget the metal is the cheap part, the machines, consumables, liability insurance, building rent, Class 2 liscense, SOT fee, Yearly ITAR fee's, Hassles of day-to-day NFA transactions,cost of R&D, make the materials cost miniscule.

I am curious just what do you think is a FAIR price to pay for one of Alan Hall's BR actions. Many Moons ago (prior to designing the T2k) David Tubb used Winchester Pre-64 model 70's across the course in NRA highpower but switched to a HALL magnum action for the long range phase of Camp Perry, he had both the skills to evaluate if it made a difference and the desire to have the best equipment and ammo he could when he stepped onto the line and competed (and often won).Draw your own conclusions if it is worth it to you.

The Hall is a great action I have two ....One is a sporter light weight model . Functions perfectly and smooth as silk. As for making a trainer out of one it is GTG but you will find with the right barrel it will be a hammer. Alan Hall is also a great person to deal with. If I have time to take a picture I will post it