• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 308 Lapua brass

Headgear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2010
West Harrison, Indiana
Hey reloading fans!

I just got 500 new Lapua brass. This will be my first experience with them. I have been using Winchester. I've heard that the case capacity of the Lapua is a little less than Win and will cause higher pressure and/or velocity at a given charge. I will of course be testing loads starting from the minimum starting load per Hogdon. (Using Varget)

My rifle likes 45.4 with a 168 Amax with the Win brass. Over the next week or two I am going to do a ladder test to find the sweet spot using the new Lapua and see how the chrono data compares with that of the Win brass rounds.

I'm wondering if I load the Lapua rounds at the same velocity as the win brass rounds, (but more than likely a little smaller powder charge to get there) will it still be in my accuracy node or will the new brass cause other variables that will cause the accuracy node to be of a different velocity for each?

I am going to get my own results but I am just wondering if any of you'se guys/y'all have done it before an what your results were?
smile.gif

Thanks!

Re: New 308 Lapua brass

My guess, based upon using Lapua brass is that you will require about .6gr (+/-) less powder to achieve the same velocity. Thats been my experience anyway.

I'm wondering pretty much the same thing, but with new versus fireformed Lapua. I get 55.6 grains water capacity on the new and 57.7 on the fired. According to my interior ballistics program (name unmentioned, but starts with a "Q"), I see a max charge of 45.2 versus 46.5 grains Varget, respectively, to get about the same peak pressures. What's more important, the case capacity, or the chamber size which allows for this expansion?

This is with 175 SMK loaded to 2.880 OAL.

The rule of thumb for going to Lapua from Winchester is you are going to end up 0.4-0.7 grains less charge in the Lapua.

Just started this process myself with brand new Lapua brass. Man are they proud of that. Have been using LC and Rem. brass with SD's in the single digits and 1/2 moa accuracy.

After loading up first test loads I'm not excited with the results. SD's from 15 to 30 fps, maybe fireformed loads will be better. Have seen a decrease in velocity from both LC and Remington loads using same charge in Lapua brass. The search continues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The search continues. </div></div>

When I have 1/2 moa accuracy, I'm not searching for much.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Penguin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The search continues. </div></div>

When I have 1/2 moa accuracy, I'm not searching for much.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Good point, but I now have this expensive brass that needs to earn it's keep. I guess I expected more, at least as good of performance from it as the LC that was given to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney88PDC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rule of thumb for going to Lapua from Winchester is you are going to end up 0.4-0.7 grains less charge in the Lapua. </div></div>

What's the rule of thumb going from Remington to Lapua? About the same as Winchester I assume?

Thanks

here are some Lapua .308 brass weights and how much they can hold. These are all once fired and still with the primer I will do some new one when I get a chance.

Brass GR Amount of H2O held by case in GR
177.2 held 56.3
176.3 held 56
176.5 held 55.8
176.6 held 56.1
177.2 held 55.1
177.2 held 55.6
176.4 held 55.9
177.1 held 55.8
177.9 held 55.9
177.5 held 56

So average is 55.84

Winchester Brass

163.1 57.3
163.3 57.4
164.1 57.5
163.2 57.4
164.3 57.0
161.8 57.6
163.6 57.0
163.8 57.2
161.0 57.5
161.8 57.3

Average Grains held is 57.32

This is how it was with powder of various sorts. This brass was prep'd but the top was recently shot.

Winchester Brass Trim Length- 2.005 can hold 51.2 grains of IMR 4064

Winchester Brass Trim Length- 2.005 can hold 52.5 grains of Varget

Winchester Brass Trim Length- 2.005 can hold 53.3 grains of R-15

Lapua Brass Trim Length- 2.005 can hold 51.8 grains of R-15

Lapua Brass Trim Length- 2.005 can hold 51.2 grains of Varget

Lapua Brass Trim Length- 2.005 can hold 50.1 grains of IMR 4064

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Have been using LC and Rem. brass with SD's in the single digits and 1/2 moa accuracy.

After loading up first test loads I'm not excited with the results. SD's from 15 to 30 fps, maybe fireformed loads will be better. Have seen a decrease in velocity from both LC and Remington loads using same charge in Lapua brass. The search continues.</div></div>

Wow, that was not what I was hoping to hear. I thought from all the hype and $ that they would do better than that right out of the box.

I full length sized them so far. I haven't yet checked the length of the cases. Do new Lapua typically need to be processed completely like any other brass? When I say "typically need to be processed" I mean is it best for long range accuracy. I'm sure that some would shoot anything new right out of the box. I remember being surprised about some pretty big differences with other new brass that I have gotten. I would expect that for the $, Lapua should be more consistent. I'll be checking that out as well. I'm hoping that I don't have to trim, ream and chamfer 500 cases. 55 cents a case ought to save you some time but we will see.

My new chrony ought to be here tomorrow depending on weather, another snow thing coming. I hope the weather is good enough this coming weekend so I can do some testing and comparing. I will post my results.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I can take brand new Lapua brass, chamfer it, prime, charge, and top it off with 175gr SMK and its sub 1/2moa. I do think after it is fired it is a tad more accurate but I would need more of a benchrest settup to prove it. 1/2moa is good for me, and there is no sense in me making loading a dreaded hassle.

My new Lapua (308) brass is giving me sub 0.5" 100 yard groups in my TRG 22. Have fired any resized brass yet.

I certainly hope someone isnt thinking by just buying Lapua brass they are going to become a world class shooter overnight! Brass doesnt do that. What buying good brass does is lessen the amount of work you need to do to maintain consistency within your batches of brass. And with Lapua, you usually get brass that will last longer than some of the other brass.

Lapua brass does NOT make you better shooter.....that is no magic bullet...sorry. :)

Mudcat-NC's rely kinda made me laugh hahahaha cause there is people that really think like that hahahahaha sad but true.

ps I know a few hehehe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I certainly hope someone isnt thinking by just buying Lapua brass they are going to become a world class shooter overnight! Brass doesnt do that. What buying good brass does is lessen the amount of work you need to do to maintain consistency within your batches of brass. And with Lapua, you usually get brass that will last longer than some of the other brass.

Lapua brass does NOT make you better shooter.....that is no magic bullet...sorry. :)</div></div>

I don't make the connection here. I re-read the whole thread and I understand what you are saying but I don't see how it applies here. There is no doubt that what you are saying is correct but it seems like a massive stretch to a assume that anything said here indicates the expectation of being a world class shooter from whatever brass. Are we really trying to help?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Headgear</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I certainly hope someone isnt thinking by just buying Lapua brass they are going to become a world class shooter overnight! Brass doesnt do that. What buying good brass does is lessen the amount of work you need to do to maintain consistency within your batches of brass. And with Lapua, you usually get brass that will last longer than some of the other brass.

Lapua brass does NOT make you better shooter.....that is no magic bullet...sorry. :)</div></div>

I don't make the connection here. I re-read the whole thread and I understand what you are saying but I don't see how it applies here. There is no doubt that what you are saying is correct but it seems like a massive stretch to a assume that anything said here indicates the expectation of being a world class shooter from whatever brass. Are we really trying to help? </div></div>

My thoughts also Headgear, I'm just trying to get back to where I was. Since my last post I've been to the Shot Show and talked to the Lapua rep. Basically all he did was shrug his shoulders and said to try a different primer. On my list of things to do but I'm trying to make this easier not more complicated. May just sell the Lapua brass and stick with my free LC that works.

Got a chance to work on this load again with once fired brass through the same rifle. What a difference it made. ES was 21 and SD was 7 for 5 rounds. Velocity average was 3023 with the 155 scenar. This may work yet. Should be able to shoot this load at 300 to test accuracy this week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a chance to work on this load again with once fired brass through the same rifle. What a difference it made. ES was 21 and SD was 7 for 5 rounds. Velocity average was 3023 with the 155 scenar. This may work yet. Should be able to shoot this load at 300 to test accuracy this week.</div></div>

Yeah, I'm finding the same thing. It's been too cold to take the chrony out but I shot some rounds in the back yard just to check for pressure and then reloaded them for a ladder and the results from those were amazingly clear compared to two batches of processed virgin brass charged exactly the same.

vman cracks me up. He says, "told ya so" My wife couldn't have said it better!
grin.gif

Hehehehe
laugh.gif

I bet you, the guys that say that virgin lapua shoots best either dont know what they are on about OR their chambers happen to be extremely close spec to virgin lapua brass, so their fireforming isnt very dramatic.