• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 308 Reloader, New 308 Shooter and New 308 Gun

triplecelectric

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Valencia, Ca.
I am looking for direction. I just purchased my first 308, from Thunderbolt. Never shot 18" 1/12 Shillen Bdl. Stiller Action.

I have been reloading 223 with a dillon 650 and am looking forward to precision shooting and reloading the 308 I just bought.

Where should I start?

Should I buy Federal Premium Ammo for the break in or should I start with new brass?

Will I get good results from my Dillon or should I go with a single stage press? I have a case trimmer, case gauge, OAL guage, blah, blah blah.

Should I use the Dillon dies?

What powder, primers and bullets do you guys like?

What loads do you guys like?

Please feel free to add anything you guys think.

Re: New 308 Reloader, New 308 Shooter and New 308 Gun

Please refer to the "Reloading depot" at the very top of the reloading page. That should get you a good start.

FGMM ammo is 9 moa off (lower) at 912 yards than blackhills. I almost bought this same rifle from Travis. I have shot out of an 18" exclusively and love them. I just bought a 550 and understand you can hook a redding powder tirckler to it to help or there is another guy who takes the powder funnel off the machine and hand loads the powder and he said its the same precision as the single stage. anything I can help with just ask... good luck your going to love the gun

Sobrbiker883 FOB? I went to that link while I waited for some replies and read through it and kinda thought to myself that pretty much answers most of it. Does any one have any suggestions on loads to start with?

Prolly TAC @ 42.8 grains charge weight.
with 175 smk. this is where i will start ill keep you posted. move the powder up a little at a time till you get the perfect group.

Check out the reloading depot for recipes, a good loading manual never hurts either (and nowdays most powder manufacturers have reload data on their sites).

TAC may or may not cause you problems with temp changes (load that don't show pressure now probably will come summertime). I prefer an extruded powder for 308 sized cases-TAC's good for the Dillon and 223 for sure, but 308.....not so much.