• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Photos New .338 Lapua Tac Rig

scaxeman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Oregon
www.usftrclass.com
Here's the latest toy... I'm doing some testing on a new prototype Savage .338 Lapua Magnum system. Think BAT, only bigger...

So far, the load development is going well, two of the Team guys are wringing out the 250 grain loads, I am playing with the 300's. The 300's should have no trouble at all at 1700 yards. It did amuse me poring over the ballistic calculators, noting that at reasonable muzzle velocities, the 300 grain projectile retains twice the energy at 1 mile as a .45 ACP at the muzzle!

:-D

Re: New .338 Lapua Tac Rig

Now that is pretty cool!

Please tell Savage to get rid of the Ergo grip!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Please tell Savage to get rid of the Ergo grip! </div></div>

LOL! We may just have had a conversation or two with the engineers on the subject! This is still the prototype, we are tinkering with all sorts of details. The finished product will probably be on the cover of American Rifleman come Feb. or Mar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the prs stock over the other one they are using. </div></div>

I agree, there is a reason this one is going a slightly different direction. The PRS you see here will likely not be the final iteration either though, we are making sure the ergonomics are sorted (enough adjustment, etc.). Some flavor of Magpul will likely be there though.

I like it. Does it come in desert tan? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just speachless....well almost, isn't the grip modular anyway?
</div></div>

Yep, you can put pretty much any AR-15 grip on it.

Savage made 338 lapua? All of their products are priced reasonable. Looks like I may have a 338 this spring!!!

+1 on that Tan idea. but i would leave the PRS and Ergo right where it is. But I love the modular options.

Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about. You know! (in my Will Ferrell Old School impression)

Cool beans. I agree, lose the grip and keep the PRS. I think a standard Magpul MIAD grip would be a better option than what's there now.

Over the years Savage's prices (like everyone else's) have gone up. I just hope they don't think they're in the same league as a Sako TRG42 and put the price in the stratosphere.

If it's well made, shoots well, and priced right, I'm down with it.

Oh, and I'll take a dark earth, desert tan, or coyote brown for mine please!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">paint comes in all colors </div></div>

Thats what I was thinking.

A trip to the hardware store on the way home will get you a tan gun.

Is that a standard Savage long action? Is it strong enough for the Lapua sized case?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wadedc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a standard Savage long action? Is it strong enough for the Lapua sized case? </div></div>

Although, not implicitly stated as such, one might amke an assumption on the basis of the poster's comment... <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here's the latest toy... I'm doing some testing on a new prototype Savage .338 Lapua Magnum system. Think BAT, only bigger...</div></div>

Until we know more specific details it's hard to know for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2bad4u2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wadedc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a standard Savage long action? Is it strong enough for the Lapua sized case? </div></div>

Although, not implicitly stated as such, one might amke an assumption on the basis of the poster's comment... <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here's the latest toy... I'm doing some testing on a new prototype Savage .338 Lapua Magnum system. Think BAT, only bigger...</div></div>

</div></div>

Maybe he means long action as the BAT is only available in short action. I just don't want some one to amke an assumption and try this on an reular long action if it isn't safe. If it is a standard long action I would like to know if it is small shank or large.

Wade

Looks like it could be a long action version of the "Target Actions". it has a closed top like the target actions and the port opening looks like a target action port, just longer. I like it but I would take the rails off the side. Just what are you going to attach there that could benefit a rifle capable of shooting 1 mile? A flashlight?

mike

It's my understanding that it is a "super-sized" 110 action. So, I doubt any parts, except maybe the trigger/sear, will interchange.

It will be just the ticket for a switch barrel. I'm thinking a 338 Norma based 7mm, 300, or both, or all three.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just what are you going to attach there that could benefit a rifle capable of shooting 1 mile? A flashlight?</div></div>

Haha exactly what i was thinking as well. these types of guns should be focused on the task at hand: sending hot lead downrage accuratly.

wow!1700yds this is why I waat the 338 over the 308 for the long range game. is the difference major?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wadedc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2bad4u2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wadedc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a standard Savage long action? Is it strong enough for the Lapua sized case? </div></div>

</div></div>

Maybe he means long action as the BAT is only available in short action. I just don't want some one to amke an assumption and try this on an reular long action if it isn't safe. If it is a standard long action I would like to know if it is small shank or large.

Wade </div></div>

No, this is a slightly altered (read: toughened) version of the Long Action Savage receiver. In destructive testing, it was failing well over 150K PSI... good stuff.

The production version will be on display at SHOT Show, the rifle should also be on the cover of American Rifleman either Feb. or March

We sent the prototypes back to Savage, but are awaiting the production versions in a few weeks. Then the accuracy testing will get serious
laugh.gif

Darrell

Energy difference should be huge. Just my preliminary load testing was seeing ~2750fps from a 300 grain projectile. A .308 is lucky to throw a 200 grain bullet that fast.

I have heard from one person that took down a Whitetail at ~150 yards with this rifle (the deer popped out, he was expecting ~350-400 yards). Without getting into the gory details, suffice it to say the performance was *exceptional*.

Darrell,

Nice rifle. Which 300's are you using to get 2750fps...Scenars or SMK's or...? Also, what velocity are you pushing the 250's at and have you tested either the 250's or 300's at or past 1 mile?

Thanks,
Chris

Hey Chris,

I was testing the 300 SMK's, but I am eagerly awaiting the new Berger .338 offerings.
smile.gif

The guys that were testing the 250's hadn't got their development fully complete (neither had I for that matter). Their rounds while quite accurate, were not powerhouses, *maybe* 2900fps. Hopefully we will get back on testing in the next few weeks when we get the production versions of the rifles.

The furthest we have pushed either the 250's or 300's at this point is 1000 yards. Once I get some good accuracy out of some *stout* 300 grain loads we will push it out to 1 mile. Savage is naturally drooling over the prospect
laugh.gif

Darrell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like it could be a long action version of the "Target Actions". it has a closed top like the target actions and the port opening looks like a target action port, just longer. I like it but I would take the rails off the side. Just what are you going to attach there that could benefit a rifle capable of shooting 1 mile? A flashlight?

mike </div></div>
I have big plans for those side rails when I get mine: I'm going to mount a cup holder on one side, and one of those tiny battery powered fans on the other. I'll be the most comfortable guy at the range this summer!

Hey how does this gun shoot i am think about buying one? what kind of groups can u expect?

Definitely good news for us Savage followers. How many pieces of brass does the mag hold? I do like the stock but I would have to agree with some of the guys as far as attaching things to the rifle, after all it is a long range piece. May be a AICS on that bad boy would be good =)