• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report new 375 CheyTac first rounds down the barrel

jwoolf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well, I loaded up a few rounds and took it out today even though it was miserable and raining.

I mostly just wanted to get a few rounds down the barrel and check load pressures. I only shot a few but, I started with 130gr of retumbo under some of the 330gr boreriders and went to 133gr...

Wow, that thing is loud but with the muzzle brake, it's a pussycat to shoot..... I seated the boreriders about .010 off the lands and went up to the 133gr of powder and, I can't see even one slight sign of any pressure... no flattening on the primers... nothing on the case head at all.... guess I started too low and need to bump up the charge a bit to figure out how far I can go then back down.

I didn't shoot for groups yet... I'll be doing that next trip to the range. This wasn't a real range and I didn't hang targets but, I got the rifle shooting fairly close.

I'm looking forward to really stretching it's legs soon.

Re: new 375 CheyTac first rounds down the barrel

Stay around 3100 fps. You will stretch tenons( threads on barrel or action) if you go big on speed. They were ment for 3000-3150. 133 should be close to good. maybe up to 136 grains. I had a barrel come loose running 140 plus for 100 rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notyers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay around 3100 fps. You will stretch tenons( threads on barrel or action) if you go big on speed. They were ment for 3000-3150. 133 should be close to good. maybe up to 136 grains. I had a barrel come loose running 140 plus for 100 rounds. </div></div>

Wow... don't want to get into a spot where I'm stretching tenons etc.

I've always ran under the upper ends of pressure limits. Brass lasts longer and, it's easier on your equipment.

Thank you very much for your experience/insite on this.

Man, the rifle felt good to shoot. I didn't know exactly what to expect. The brake did it's job though... the rifle doesn't really push at all... it's LOUD though.

Went up to 133gr and, the primers weren't getting flattened at all.... no extractor marks... even with virgin brass.

Since what I'm hearing is that the primer pockets are the weak spot for this cartridge, I may stay away from the upper limits of this round simply to keep my brass longer. Honestly, it's such a beast, another 100fps isn't going to make that much of a difference unless you're shooting at the very upper end of the range of this beast anyway.

Most of my shooting will likey be around a mile.... where this thing will shoot 1000yds past that mark.

Now, I need to ladder test this thing at 1000yds or better..

With the 34moa base on it... the NXS 5.5x22 is less than 10 off the bottom to get to the 100yd zero. That should get me out to the rifle's potential without having to hold over for anything.

Anytime you have that much powder burning and a good muzzle brake you are going to get some noise back at you. I always use two pairs of hearing protection when shooting my Windrunner.
Try not to have any surfaces that would reflect sound back at you like walls or rocks to your direct side. The more open the area the better off you will be. If you shoot from a rest than you can always fab up a noise director.
smile.gif

RabbitEars.jpg

Boyes1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anytime you have that much powder burning and a good muzzle brake you are going to get some noise back at you. I always use two pairs of hearing protection when shooting my Windrunner.
Try not to have any surfaces that would reflect sound back at you like walls or rocks to your direct side. The more open the area the better off you will be. If you shoot from a rest than you can always fab up a noise director.
smile.gif

RabbitEars.jpg

Boyes1.jpg
</div></div>

That is pretty damn cool! You could use that for avalanche control in the mountains. Do you need a M2 T&E for the rear end?

Mite do more better with a set of FlowMasters!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mite do more better with a set of FlowMasters!
grin.gif
</div></div>
Issues with warranty replacement.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viersco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are the dies working?

Dave </div></div>

They're PERFECT, Dave!

Since I couldn't find the 375 brass, I just necked down the 408 stuff THS had... then I took a chamber length gauge and sacrificed one piece for figuring out exactly how long the chamber was to make sure none of it was going to need to be trimmed... then found my freebore and loaded about .010 off and started there. ( with only 130gr of Retumbo and went to 133 with no signs whatsoever of pressure... cleaned between shots even if it didn't need it )

I've only put a few through it and, the weather sucked that day... I've been out of town ever since on training so, I'm really looking forward to getting back home this weekend to see what this beast can do now!!!

I need to shoot a few more to find out what it likes then really stretch the legs on this beast!!!

Dies are working like a champ!!! Can't say enough good things, Sir!

Now.... if I can somehow justify the USO SN-9 10-42x80... life will be just about as good as it gets! LOL

A friend had one (SN9/80mm) on his 375ct. Wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The main problem was that the objective bell would hit the barrel. He would have needed a thinner barrel or a much higher base or both to take full advantage of the scopes elevation. He could only get to 1500Y or so and had to holdover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend had one (SN9/80mm) on his 375ct. Wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The main problem was that the objective bell would hit the barrel. He would have needed a thinner barrel or a much higher base or both to take full advantage of the scopes elevation. He could only get to 1500Y or so and had to holdover. </div></div>

Hmmm... that makes me wonder if it may be better to get the smaller diameter objective?

How much come up was your friend able to get to get to 1500? I'm only looking for about 100moa come up based on my ballistics tables so far but, of course, that could be a little off but, it shouldn't need more than 100 or so... also, my base is a 34 but, I'm not sure how the sn9 base is set up... it looks different for the external turrets.... does it have it's own base or does it work with your base? Suppose the base height would matter but, since the whole scope cants with the external turrets, the angle wouldn't matter so much as the height... just wondering if the sn9 base is supplied or you use your own... you obviously have to use their, rings since it has external turrets.

Maybe the answer would be to get a 0 moa base or put the base on backward (LOL)!!!

I'm trying to figure out how to get more magnification without really screwing the pooch.... of course, this rifle won't ever really need to shoot up close but, I'd rather have all the travel and magnification in the same scope package.

Dave was talking about getting the 32x NightForce and getting a 500yd zero etc. and calling it good. I may go that way but, the SN9 sure seems to be calling my name and, I really like my 22x NSX on my 300wm.

As it is... if I recall correctly, the 22x NF has about 100moa come up and, that's enough or, about enough since I'm less than 10 off the bottom at 100yds.... not that I really ever plan on shooting this rifle under 1000yds after I shoot a few groups to figure out what it wants to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwoolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend had one (SN9/80mm) on his 375ct. Wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The main problem was that the objective bell would hit the barrel. He would have needed a thinner barrel or a much higher base or both to take full advantage of the scopes elevation. He could only get to 1500Y or so and had to holdover. </div></div>

Hmmm... that makes me wonder if it may be better to get the smaller diameter objective?

How much come up was your friend able to get to get to 1500? I'm only looking for about 100moa come up based on my ballistics tables so far but, of course, that could be a little off but, it shouldn't need more than 100 or so... also, my base is a 34 but, I'm not sure how the sn9 base is set up... it looks different for the external turrets.... does it have it's own base or does it work with your base? Suppose the base height would matter but, since the whole scope cants with the external turrets, the angle wouldn't matter so much as the height... just wondering if the sn9 base is supplied or you use your own... you obviously have to use their, rings since it has external turrets.

Maybe the answer would be to get a 0 moa base or put the base on backward (LOL)!!!

I'm trying to figure out how to get more magnification without really screwing the pooch.... of course, this rifle won't ever really need to shoot up close but, I'd rather have all the travel and magnification in the same scope package.

Dave was talking about getting the 32x NightForce and getting a 500yd zero etc. and calling it good. I may go that way but, the SN9 sure seems to be calling my name and, I really like my 22x NSX on my 300wm.

As it is... if I recall correctly, the 22x NF has about 100moa come up and, that's enough or, about enough since I'm less than 10 off the bottom at 100yds.... not that I really ever plan on shooting this rifle under 1000yds after I shoot a few groups to figure out what it wants to shoot. </div></div>

We were using the Lawton 40 moa bases and whatever heavy barrel he'd ship as standard. My friend would only get about 13-14 mils or so before the scope would hit the barrel. Because the scope is so long the angle of the scope is more exaggerated.

If I were to get a SN9 myself I'd get the smaller objective. 80mm is just overkill for a rifle scope.

I know that Vortex Razor's have 36 mils total elevation and I think the USO 5-25 with 35mm tubes have close to that. Maybe their 40mm tubes have more??? I don't know.