• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 5R .300 win bolt sticking, sticky, sluggish

Derrick300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, SC.
First I will say I did a search but not a a ton of info on this one.
Just picked up a new 700 5R .300win mag, from the moment I opened the box until after I tried everything I could come up with its sticky, chattering and just not smooth.
Basically from open to close and back to open if you put any downward pressure or any pressure for that matter it feels like it bone dry metal on metal, it chatters and it just seem tight.
I tried, oil, grease, loosened the action bolts to make sure there was no problem there and checked the base screws just for grins. All ending with the same conclusion.
I called Remington and they said to send it in but im not sure I want them tinkering with it at this point. Just looking for anyone who has ran into similar problem with there 700. Maybe the 5R's are cut a little tighter and need some major breaking in???

Thanks in advance

Re: New 5R .300 win bolt sticking, sticky, sluggish

Have you removed the firing mechanism and looked at the bolt threads...I have found some that were very rough. A bit of lapping compound smoothed it out. JMHO

I have one but in 308 win and it is tight, but nothing like your talking about. Never even knew thay made them in 300 WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First I will say I did a search but not a a ton of info on this one.
Just picked up a new 700 5R .300win mag, from the moment I opened the box until after I tried everything I could come up with its sticky, chattering and just not smooth.
Basically from open to close and back to open if you put any downward pressure or any pressure for that matter it feels like it bone dry metal on metal, it chatters and it just seem tight.
I tried, oil, grease, loosened the action bolts to make sure there was no problem there and checked the base screws just for grins. All ending with the same conclusion.
I called Remington and they said to send it in but im not sure I want them tinkering with it at this point. Just looking for anyone who has ran into similar problem with there 700. Maybe the 5R's are cut a little tighter and need some major breaking in???

Thanks in advance </div></div>

They said send it in. Why not have them fix or replace it before you do anything that can A) potentially void your warranety, B) Potentially risk injury to you, friends, family, or strangers, or C) Cost you money out of your pocket. I mean it's your rifle but why not have them take care of it? Also for future reference, cycle the rifle before you buy it. Inspect everything. I just picked up my 1911 the other day and noticed that a small part was used that I was being charged for that I had supplied. Be meticulous and methodical. Cycle actions, pull triggers, adjust knobs, insert eject mags. In the excitement we sometimes forget to inspect, but I learned the hard way many years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you removed the firing mechanism and looked at the bolt threads...I have found some that were very rough. A bit of lapping compound smoothed it out. JMHO</div></div>

No but not sure how this would affect the sliding of the bolt???
I will try it though nothing to loose at this point

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popeye089</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First I will say I did a search but not a a ton of info on this one.

Thanks in advance </div></div>

They said send it in. Why not have them fix or replace it before you do anything that can A) potentially void your warranety, B) Potentially risk injury to you, friends, family, or strangers, or C) Cost you money out of your pocket. I mean it's your rifle but why not have them take care of it? Also for future reference, cycle the rifle before you buy it. Inspect everything. I just picked up my 1911 the other day and noticed that a small part was used that I was being charged for that I had supplied. Be meticulous and methodical. Cycle actions, pull triggers, adjust knobs, insert eject mags. In the excitement we sometimes forget to inspect, but I learned the hard way many years ago.</div></div>

I bought this over the internet so I could not cycle it. It was to be my hunting rifle for a big trip on going on in the beginning of Jan. so im afraid i might not get it back in time.
And I don't believe its a safety issue everything works fine (dry fire, lock up unlock) its just the sliding motion of the bolt straight in and straight out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this with ammo in it? Or just a empty chamber?</div></div>

So far I have only tried it with no ammo.

Spoke with Jared over at APA and its being sent to them for a little attention. Ill keep you posted on what they find.

I have kind of the same issue with my 2 Colt Lights. I have to be almost anal with the bolts if they are to work smoothly. I believe the deal is the close tolerances makes it very touchy as far as contamination. I am cleaning with a cleaning cloth and what seems to be working for lube is Liquid Wrench super lube. This tends to make it slide smoothly. I have had the 7mag out hunting a couple of times and it is a little sticky, but the 270 is still good after an antelope hunt. It sounds like you may be having the same issue as I.