• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing new 5R questions

acts238

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
N W Montana
just got a new R700 5R .308 & ejection port is .70 lower than H&S stock cutout, should I do noting, lower stock to match or is this for bedding? also under rear tang the green texture looking stuff is thick on one side & none on other side this cant be a good solid surface for rear tang,if bedding is the answer do I need to remove any aluminum & if so how much & where ? second question bolt closes harder than normal, I have bought 4 other R700's new a VLS an syn ADL & 2 stainless mtn rifles, & I dont remember any of them being this hard to close on a round, I realize the lugs are new & wearing in, but one of my stainless mtn rifles only has 40 or so rnds down it & it closes a lot easier. should I do nothing, lap bolt lugs,or??? thanks in advance for any consideration

Re: new 5R questions

My first question is how does your new 5R shoot? The next question is how does it function? If both answers are positive then put some grease on the contact area of the lugs, tighten the stock bolts to 65inch/lbs and go have some fun.

It's probably not a bad idea to remove some of that finish material between your tang and bedding block. Denatured alcohol will take it off, so will super fine sandpaper. See my post from last winter on synthetic stock prep. You want metal to metal contact between the bedding block and the tang. I would do that, then see how it shoots before I glass bedded it.

dont know how it shoots yet, I went to range with some different loads to try but after 3 rds I thought maybe reason it was so tight was my coal was long, so I quit & came home & rechecked coal, it wasnt that, so next time I go out Ill just lube lugs & see what it will do,I hope it'll loosen up at least a little, if not an oversize bolt knob will definatley be in order for this action, thanks for your input gmbjr

thanks for info on removing finish material from tang area, I would like to see your previous post on stock prep if I can find it, thus far I have not mastered the search function, but Ill try & find it if I can thanks for this post it helps alot to know how to remove it without damaging the weapon