• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 6” Python vs MR73

Which wheel gun

• MR73

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Python

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
i thought handguns were illegal in canada....
Negative. With the right approvals/permits....though that may change under the current government eventually unless he gets his caboose kicked in the next election....unlikely. I’ve been shooting handguns for 40+ years. Many years ago under certain conditions carry permits with restrictions were available for example for helicopter pilots. I flew rw from the late 1970s into the 1990s. Now it’s for the range. I think the MR73 could be a satisfying piece.

So I got a wheelman for basically the same purposes as you. I ended up scoring a 4" pre lock S&W 686. Accurate with everything and fun to shoot. I'd honestly take a look at a pre lock S&W

So I got a wheelman for basically the same purposes as you. I ended up scoring a 4" pre lock S&W 686. Accurate with everything and fun to shoot. I'd honestly take a look at a pre lock S&W
I’ve got a S&W 686-3, 6”, and it is a nice shooter. Just thought the MR73 could be interesting to shoot. The durability, robustness and history add to it. I try to shoot a box or two a week either .38 or .45 acp. Te 686 is sweet. Ammo is still plentiful here though getting scarcer. With the Covid taking off again lockdowns were ordered again starting today so I imagine the range will be closed for a few weeks.

I’ve got a S&W 686-3, 6”, and it is a nice shooter. Just thought the MR73 could be interesting to shoot. The durability, robustness and history add to it. I try to shoot a box or two a week either .38 or .45 acp. Te 686 is sweet. Ammo is still plentiful here though getting scarcer. With the Covid taking off again lockdowns were ordered again starting today so I imagine the range will be closed for a few weeks.
I get it. Just for carrying stuff I think the 4" is easier all around. Just got a 66-2. 2.5 inch barrel, the wife has claimed that one.

Reactions: dbw1
Fwiw I would recommend that you get a stainless wheel gun if you plan on backcountry as part of its life.

A 686 with a trigger job is a great rig but it's not a flashy as the other two. My personal favorite wheel gun is my old 4" S&W model 19 (pinned and recessed). It mostly gets 38 loads when target shooting because I don't want to crack my forcing cone like they're prone to do.

Shot a korth and a python side by side and I'd put my money in the korth, no experience with the Mr.

JJ Perodeau carries the Manurhin's, if you decide to go that way. He's a high-end (Holland & Holland, Purdey, etc) double gun gunsmith, so he can wrench on your $3,200 baby without his hands shaking if it ever comes to that. I have no business affiliation with him, other than having been a satisfied customer.

Or if you can find an old 15-2. I have an 8" and 4" barrel. The 4" is the least accurate thing I've ever shot, but change it to the 8" and it's a 1 moa gun at 100 yards. Barrel change takes about 5 minutes with the included tool, which is a barrel nut wrench, feeler gauge, and allen key for the sight all in one goofy tool.

It's not something I carry much, as the 4x scope and 8" barrel means it is the only gun I'm carrying if that's what I decide to use.

I've shot a lot of revolvers, and I would never consider selling my 15-2, nor would I pay the money a python demands. I would pay python money for a Dan Wesson though.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
The Manhurin and Python are both premium collectibles. But I would still go with a Smith and Wesson for an actual working gun. The three Colt double-action revolvers I've owned (a King Cobra, an old I-frame Trooper and a New Service .45) would not stay in time - in every case, they would eventually begin dropping the hammer before the cylinder was locked up in double-action fire. So Colt double actions just don't stay in time - in my personal experience. If you intend to shoot a lot of full-power .357 loads, get a 586 or 686 Smith. If you want a slightly smaller gun that will still hold up, consider one of the old Ruger Security Six revolvers. Manhurin even sold a modified Ruger GP 100 for a while as their M88, so they must have thought it was a pretty solid design.

I posted another question about two higher cap 1911 style pistols replacing my normal carry sub compact, but with work/location I’m going to be sticking with my smaller carry, it would be that or nada so

Got some money I mentally put aside for a new gun, and I don’t have a wheel gun

What’s the hives opinion on a new 6” python vs a 6” MR73, be having fun with it at the range, some casual pistol target and “combat” matches at my local club, maybe bring it along for some light backcountry.

I also heard there was a option for a extra conversion 9mm wheel for the MR?

Python

phython357readytotakeonsomebadguys.jpg

MR73

OIP.86o2Ymu-GQyTx9T3DhzkjgHaEK
Let's close the discussion with that attached All American review of the MR73 which is the best revolver in the world (according to the best American reviewers), I'm getting one too and I'm French as well running one of the largest all American company in Florida for the one who like to talk bad about us for no reasons:

The MR-73 is more durable and accurate than the Python. It’s made out of very hard steel and is designed for a hundred thousand full power 357 loads. The Python has to be rebuilt every couple thousand rounds. With that said, the MR-73 is fugly. I’d rather have, and do have, a 1962 4” Python. The under lug is hollow on these and the balance is incredible. It points so well I don’t need the sights. The action is smooth as glass. The fit and finish is old school perfect.

Old Korths are nice. I dunno if the NH Korths are as good as the German ones.

For your stated purpose, which involves target shooting, I would start with a S&W 586 (blue) or 686 (stainless) with a 6” barrel. I shoot PPC equivalent matches every week at my club. The 586/686 is the top choice (or a 1911).

If you have bigger hands, an S&W Model 27 would be the way to go. The balance is a bit different with more weight in the hand on a 27 vs out on the barrel with the 586/686, which have an under lug.

if you want more, get a set of Karl Nill grips for the gun and send it to Frank Glenn or the gunsmith of your choice for an action job.

You will be hard pressed to better a well-tuned Smith & Wesson revolver.

Plus, parts are plentiful as are gunsmiths who will work on them (which cannot be said for Colts or for imported excellent French revolvers).

I know absolutely nothing about Korth or MR73 pistols, but if you plan to compete, why not go to S&W performance center. 8 shot 9mm with moon clips, or 686, heck you can go 627- 8 shot and shoot 38spec.
Irrelevant here, but around 2000, i had a pretty impressive collection of Pythons and Diamondbacks. Highly blued guns, a guy felt guilty taking them to range yearly for 4 cylinders of firing.
I dumped the works in 2010, made a little coin, replaced them with S&W 617 ten shot, 686 - 7 shot, moon clip capable, even a 625 45 acp. No accuracy loss at all, and if I drop one on the ground for some reason, I wont tear up.
Older Pythons were a thing of beauty, too bad not much thought went into the grips they came with, regular or combat, they plain sucked.

No experience with french guns, but as far as us made wheel guns go I’m pretty much done with s&w and colt.
DW or Ruger going forward.

I know absolutely nothing about Korth or MR73 pistols, but if you plan to compete, why not go to S&W performance center. 8 shot 9mm with moon clips, or 686, heck you can go 627- 8 shot and shoot 38spec.
Irrelevant here, but around 2000, i had a pretty impressive collection of Pythons and Diamondbacks. Highly blued guns, a guy felt guilty taking them to range yearly for 4 cylinders of firing.
I dumped the works in 2010, made a little coin, replaced them with S&W 617 ten shot, 686 - 7 shot, moon clip capable, even a 625 45 acp. No accuracy loss at all, and if I drop one on the ground for some reason, I wont tear up.
Older Pythons were a thing of beauty, too bad not much thought went into the grips they came with, regular or combat, they plain sucked.

To me a revolver needs to be chambered as such, 357, 45LC, etc, I got stuff they shoots 9mm really well and holds more rounds and is a 9mm gun, the revolver for me needs to be a pure wheel gun.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Negative. With the right approvals/permits....though that may change under the current government eventually unless he gets his caboose kicked in the next election....unlikely. I’ve been shooting handguns for 40+ years. Many years ago under certain conditions carry permits with restrictions were available for example for helicopter pilots. I flew rw from the late 1970s into the 1990s. Now it’s for the range. I think the MR73 could be a satisfying piece.

This did not age well

respectfully, the mr73 doesn't even belong in the same discussion with the python. the python is akin to a high point in this discussion. the mr73 is the finest wheel gun ever made and there is no other on it's bar

Reactions: mewillis
respectfully, the mr73 doesn't even belong in the same discussion with the python. the python is akin to a high point in this discussion. the mr73 is the finest wheel gun ever made and there is no other on it's bar
The Korth is likely in the same stratosphere

The Korth is likely in the same stratosphere
but it's not been tested with real world work like the 73. Korth is without question unique in attention to design, function, parts etc etc however, the 73 has that and real world abuse/usage that it can fall on. It's quite simply the finest revolver ever made and will work 100% of the time (theoretically of course)

pythons are nice but their actually not great wheel guns. you're paying for the parts fitment and hands on build more so than an actual wheel gun that is 'superb in operation'

i dont care how good the 73 is.....its not worth $4000 fucking dollars.....

fuck, i can buy a Python, have it professionally tuned, and get $2000 worth of engraving on it and still be cheaper than a fucking 73.
But you wouldn't have an issue with a 4000 dollar rifle that works no better than a tuned 700?
OLD pythons are very nice revolvers, but they won't run as fast as a tuned Smith L frame

i dont care how good the 73 is.....its not worth $4000 fucking dollars.....

fuck, i can buy a Python, have it professionally tuned, and get $2000 worth of engraving on it and still be cheaper than a fucking 73.
lol no you can't and the python is quite literally a pos compared. go look for a python and if you can buy one less than 3k let me know. I'm not talking the new production garbage either. you simply have no idea what you are talking about

But you wouldn't have an issue with a 4000 dollar rifle that works no better than a tuned 700?
OLD pythons are very nice revolvers, but they won't run as fast as a tuned Smith L frame
a tuned smith l frame is game on and you are right, it will run very fast and be more reliable than the python. again, python is paying for the hand fitting and smithing and let's not forget, they were 70% cheaper prior to the walking dead. Prior to that show, a no dash 66 was worth more!

Colts are for presentation, get a S&W if you want to shoot.

While I'd love to have a 73, surely not paying that price.

As a former 70's era Python owner and revolver lover I understand the newer Python is built with a different mechanism than the older Python in that is beefed up to shoot full power loads more than it's original iteration that were known to have timing issues. It's not a secret they weren't built for longevity but for beautiful bluing, nickel and finally polished stainless in the later years, not to mention the beautiful lines and trigger. I owned a total of 5 over the years, 3 of the 6" "Ultimate" versions that were polished SS and of course regret selling all of them.
I never really was a Ruger fan but now own 2 Redhawks a .44 and the new 8 shot .357 which I love and 1 remaining S&W of which I had many.
To me a $3000+ revolver is only going to be for the pursuit of the best money can buy category and not necessarily the best shooter. But the M73 sure comes close to being the best by virtue of it's history. my2cents

686-1 $250 in the mid 80's
DSC_4920.JPG

Are you asking if ide but a SCAR over an AR? Haha....nah, I would not...

Rifle or pistol.....after ~$2000....you aren't paying for "performance"......you are paying for fit and finish, name, materials, or the unique tax....

I agree, performance wise it's really hard to beat a tuned smith...and personally I've always found Smith internals to be more robust than colts.
Well since I compared it to a tuned 700, no, not talking about a scar.
But I bet you'd drop 4000 on a tac ops

I wanted to like the Python reboot, but it just doesn't feel the same. I have been having a lot of fun lately with a S&W 327 TRR8, though.

Thread started over a year ago, what did you end up buying?

lol, a new stainless PPKS most recently, at the smith right now getting its sharp edges beveled, but I’ll probably swoop up a 73 before the end of this year. If I get anything less I’ll just in the back of my head wish I would have got the 73 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: FWoo45
lol, a new stainless PPKS most recently, at the smith right now getting its sharp edges beveled, but I’ll probably swoop up a 73 before the end of this year. If I get anything less I’ll just in the back of my head wish I would have got the 73 🤷‍♂️
Looking forward to your range report. I’ve got an old shooter Python and am shopping for any pre lock Smiths in .357 I can find. I’d love a 73 but kali sucks. The NHC Korths just don’t do it for me, but I’d like an older one if I could get it.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Looking forward to your range report. I’ve got an old shooter Python and am shopping for any pre lock Smiths in .357 I can find. I’d love a 73 but kali sucks. The NHC Korths just don’t do it for me, but I’d like an older one if I could get it.

You can’t have a 73 in CA??

Not unless it’s C&R or a LEO buys one or someone moves here with one and then wants to sell it FTF.

• Sad
Reactions: TurboTrout
I just picked up a new 4 inch python so I don't shoot my old ones too much. It's pretty, but the trigger is NOWHERE near as good as the old ones.

Why not get a GP100 and send it to Hamilton Bowen and get it tuned up and a 686 or Python barrel put on it?

84430A0C-1B13-4770-9FEA-ACD56B95F966.jpeg

Not sure where the disconnect is here.
All these replies talking about the 686, python, GP100 etc...
NONE of them are built to the level of the MR73, which was purpose designed and built to withstand shooting 100 to 150 rounds of full house .357 magnum DAILY.

Not sure where the disconnect is here.
All these replies talking about the 686, python, GP100 etc...
NONE of them are built to the level of the MR73, which was purpose designed and built to withstand shooting 100 to 150 rounds of full house .357 magnum DAILY.
Umm, the Freedom Arms pistols I linked above will easily handle 15-20% higher loads than that all day long and twice on Sunday.
You did notice that they can be chambered in .500 Wyoming Express.....right ?
That load will run a 440 grain bullet at 1200 fps.
Some might consider that a stout load :)

Are you shooting 150 rounds of .357 a day?

Is ANYONE shooting 150 rounds of .357 a day?

It's like the people bragging their Rolex is dive certified to 300 meters....but have never stepped in a pool much less dove to any depths where you'd need 300m water resistance.

Has any one actually shot out a Ruger revolver?......much less 5 of them?

But FRENCH SPECIAL FORCES!! 150ROUNDS A DAY!!!

ask yourself what are you paying for?...and why are you paying for it?

Listen, the 73 is a cool gun with some cool history.

But don't delude yourself into thinking it's some kind of Excalibur......it's literally not doing anything a well tuned Colt or Smith won't do....
Of course it won’t. Doesn’t make it not cool. I don’t know anyone who works on old Pythons though. Prelock Smiths are hard to find in kali and last I checked Yost wasn’t accepting any new work, nor Krebs or Morganti. I haven’t found a sufficient base gun so I haven’t called Dave Laubert or Bowen. If you have other suggestions, I’m all ears.

It's like the people bragging their Rolex is dive certified to 300 meters....but have never stepped in a pool much less dove to any depths where you'd need 300m water resistance.

But don't delude yourself into thinking it's some kind of Excalibur......it's literally not doing anything a well tuned Colt or Smith won't do....
hahaha, ok

The MR73 is indeed well constructed, but what surprised me the most was the accuracy of it.

I’m not a good pistol shot and will never claim to be, so that accuracy was a bit lost on me, but the friend of mine who owns one managed to clear the classic GIGN revolver marksman qualification which was at least 90/100 on a C50 target at 25m

His next best revolver for accuracy (a custom tuned S&W) he only managed an 82. I’d say the triggers in both are comparable, as you might expect, so the secret sauce lies elsewhere.

For me, the only revolvers that have ever held much interest is the S&W M&P R8, and the Chiappa Rhino, as I tend to favor pragmatic/modern designs and both have things that appeal to that. The R8 with its mounting solutions and factory full moon setup, the Rhino with the low bore axis allowing faster follow ups and better recoil management.

It is the epitome of a military wheel gun.
Have you ever shot the timing out on a revolver?
It happens. Not likely with this one.
Don't delude yourself into thinking any smith or colt is anywhere near the equal.
Really, though, why the fuck do you care if someone wants to buy one or even wish they could?
I have quite a few s&w revolvers, including 2 686's, a 64, 625,19 and a 24 and a couple more.
I like s&w's very much, but I appreciate the MR73 for what it is, would love to have one, but never will.