• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 6.5 150 Gr. Bullet

I'm wondering if a 1:7.5 twist rate will be needed. I came across one at Butch's Reloading back a few months ago. I bet a custom build 1:7.7 twist would be perfect without sacrificing velocity with the 1:7.5, if 25fps-50fps is that important for your needs. I know bench rest guys would probably care.

Theres one top shooter in the nation I know of that uses a progressive twist rate barrel. I would like to see what the benefits would be. I bet there's increased barrel life, since it would put less stress on the initial start of the bullet, plus you could probably use a faster than normal twist rate required.

I just bang Steel and looking for 2725-2750 FPS, He said 8 twist will be fine, we shall see

I just bang Steel and looking for 2725-2750 FPS, He said 8 twist will be fine, we shall see
Yea, keep this thread updated about it, this could be what beats down the Berger Hybrid. The only thing is you got guys on here that when they read the great results and it gets out, we want be able to find these any longer because of hoarding, Lol. I'm real interested, having a 6.5Lapua built right now and would love to pick up an advantage over the 140Hybrids since everyone is hoarding them up. I want to get 2,850 at least from the Bergers, so 2,750fps would be great with these. Past 800yd. you would start seeing a differents, and it would really make I're mid sized 6.5 sing at 1,500 and beyond!

Hey, do you have any personal experience with varying barrel lengths in 6.5 cal. cartridges. I was wondering if having my barrel cut at 25in. instead of 27in. would prevent me from reaching that magic number of 2,850fps with a 6.5Lapua and 140gr Berger Hybrids, with H4350.

Hey, do you have any personal experience with varying barrel lengths in 6.5 cal. cartridges. I was wondering if having my barrel cut at 25in. instead of 27in. would prevent me from reaching that magic number of 2,850fps with a 6.5Lapua and 140gr Berger Hybrids, with H4350.

I had a 26" and now 27 1/2" With the 140 Berger I am 1 Grain less with the same FPS with RL-17

shit, down at the bottom of their page, they have a 160 with a .685 listed BC.

That 142gr. VLD is listed at .625 B.C. That's a good couple of hand fulls higher than the Berger Hybrid!

I called and left them a message. Waiting on them to call back and try to sell them to me. Well see whats up!
Guys, you need to realize that the stated bc is called static bc. Most of Matrix bullets come in with way lass actual bc when tested. Just a friendly warning before you max out your credit cards!

You got to admit though that a competitor to the Hybrid would be nice. It would free up more for ME!!!
Guys, you need to realize that the stated bc is called static bc. Most of Matrix bullets come in with way less actual bc when tested. Just a friendly warning before you max out your credit cards!

And bullydog, look at the bearing surface compared to a hybrid, a lot more. The Lapua case was designed with the 123 in mind, any weight gain in bullet drops the velocity fast.

Yea, saw that. Heard the wait time is way out there although. I haven't checked. All these people using Hybrids in comp. have got me feeling like I'm going to handy cap myself if I don't use them. I have all the 130gr. Berger VLD's that I could use, but its hard taking my own advice and not follow the crowd. I'm working on it though, Lol.
JLK already makes one?

I got a hiding stash of Hybrids in two locations as well, 6mm 105's and 6.5mm 140gr. I just hope they're still there when I can afford them. I do have a friend with a reserve set back if not. Lol, this sounds so pathetic!!!

I just need to start a campaign to end the Hybrids reign. Like the Gov. does, put out a contract on something better to be created. Lol

Guys, you need to realize that the stated bc is called static bc. Most of Matrix bullets come in with way less actual bc when tested. Just a friendly warning before you max out your credit cards!

And bullydog, look at the bearing surface compared to a hybrid, a lot more. The Lapua case was designed with the 123 in mind, any weight gain in bullet drops the velocity fast.

Hence why I stated, "listed BC..." Please see the research paper, "The Truth About Ballistic Coefficients" by Michael Courtney, PhD and Amy Courtney, PhD from the Ballistics Testing Group. A great read, regardless of this issue. I thought this information was rather banal in the precision rifle community.

Yea, I understand the different B.C.'s but only in the past two years have I heard anyone caring so much about the two. Its like its the popular thing now. Next people will be talking about the dimensions on the ogave like its the Holy Grail of accuracy.
Hence why I stated, "listed BC..." Please see the research paper, "The Truth About Ballistic Coefficients" by Michael Courtney, PhD and Amy Courtney, PhD from the Ballistics Testing Group. A great read, regardless of this issue. I thought this information was rather banal in the precision rifle community.

Actually those BCs are confirmed my numerous LR shooters. & Not static.

Not happy with my oal on these at 2.865 my 140 JLK is 2.935 and 140 Berger VLD hunting is 2.895 and way out there 140 Berger BT LR 2.970.
any input on powder with heavier bullet in 260 been running RL-17 ? thanks

Has anyone actually shot these 160's?
I should be able to push these in the 2950-3000 fps range and they appear to be slipperier than the 142's I've been shooting.
If that g1 is accurate it'd still be running 1300+ where I shoot to 1 mile.

I got about a half a box of 150 Matrix down range from our newest 6.5 Sherman, no load development just took a guess from shooting the 142's and 160's, 3120 fps from the Magneto, optic calibrated and a G7 of .320 put me on either side of the 3 inch aim point at 1030 yards. I'm really digging the 150 so far, different jacket from the 160 so it should perform well at range on game.

When you say heavier bullets, if your talking about 160gr., I would start out trying the powders I have that I know are compatible like, H1000, IMR7828, H4831 and the IMR variances. With cartridges, with case capacities and dimensions similar to the 260Rem and 6.5 Creed., you should get 2,600fps all day. That's what I would try. You will get the highest velocity out of them three without over pressure. Now, I come from the long range hunter reloading type back ground and not the what's tactical cool school or popular, so I'm sure others will say different. Thanks, Good Luck
Not happy with my oal on these at 2.865 my 140 JLK is 2.935 and 140 Berger VLD hunting is 2.895 and way out there 140 Berger BT LR 2.970.

I'm sorry, you was talking about the 150's. But still though, I would try them out and if you like Reloader throw RL19 into the mix. If your gun is capable and your twist is really fine as they said, I guaranty you'll find a bug hole somewhere with them.

That says a lot about its shape then. ???

I love bonded bullets for hunting. I would try the 150gr bonded version for that. I have shot the original Jack Carter Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 140gr in my 270Win. and it performs awesome, if terminal performance is your thing. I was sending them in front of the front shoulder quartering at me and they would travel length wise and be right under the hide on the opposite side, hind leg. I still have 2-3 of them I recovered on shots like that. Expansion was as wide as a Ballistic Tip but held most of its weight. This was with impact velocity of 3,000fps-2,900fps. I know why the Marines went to a similar solid copper base design now. I bet Haji doesn't like to be hit with them!

Does anyone have a recommendation on my barrel length for the 6.5 Lapua. The Smith is cutting it this week. I want to get 2,850fps with 140gr. bullets, without having pressure signs. I was going with 25in. plus my brake 2in. makes 27in. total. Plus, I was wanting to run a suppressor in the near future. A guy (I want name at the moment, he's working on a 6.5 Lapua proto type that's 6-6.5 in. long, depending on the final results), I know is making a precision use type can, and I'll tell you about it in the future. I just don't want to big of a stick. If I have to have 27in. or so I will, though. How short could I go and get 2,850fps with the Lapua???

Does anyone have a recommendation on my barrel length for the 6.5 Lapua. The Smith is cutting it this week. I want to get 2,850fps with 140gr. bullets, without having pressure signs. I was going with 25in. plus my brake 2in. makes 27in. total. Plus, I was wanting to run a suppressor in the near future. A guy (I want name at the moment, he's working on a 6.5 Lapua proto type that's 6-6.5 in. long, depending on the final results), I know is making a precision use type can, and I'll tell you about it in the future. I just don't want to big of a stick. If I have to have 27in. or so I will, though. How short could I go and get 2,850fps with the Lapua???

I shoot a standard 6.5x47L with a 28" barrel + brake. I only shoot the Berger 130's @ 3010fps.

My brother shoots an 'improved' version of the 6.5x47L with the Berger 140's @ 2850fps using a 28" barrel.

I could be wrong but if you want 2850fps with no high pressures you will need a tube as long as you can go.

Weather was no good to shoot at 1000 or 1450 so all were 3 shot loads tested at 100 yd. all new brass but the fluke group of RL-17 with 40 Grs. hmmm? very easy bolt lift no pressure.
Very happy so far equal groups as all the Berger 140's, will post more long range info in the next few weeks.

Has anyone actually shot these 160's?
I should be able to push these in the 2950-3000 fps range and they appear to be slipperier than the 142's I've been shooting.
If that g1 is accurate it'd still be running 1300+ where I shoot to 1 mile.

Yes, I'm running them out of a 6.5WSM. Last round of velocity tests with N-570 had me @ 3100fps with zero pressure signs, more test rounds already loaded.

t

Try some five shot groups to see how many will stray off or bunch together.
Weather was no good to shoot at 1000 or 1450 so all were 3 shot loads tested at 100 yd. all new brass but the fluke group of RL-17 with 40 Grs. hmmm? very easy bolt lift no pressure.
Very happy so far equal groups as all the Berger 140's, will post more long range info in the next few weeks.

All this 6.5mm talk makes me want to take all my 7mmSTW brass and down size to 6.5STW. I have more Mag. type slow burning fuel here anyway.

LMAO, like I say empty cans make the most noise. sorry to have offended you:)

Thanks Milo, you stepping on toes all the time and running your fingers on the keyboard because you have nothing better to do is not nice for anybody including yourself. For your info Matrix shoots their bullets through electric targets to get BC just like the rest of the people, and Litz has done Matrix BC for them as well. As for the 296 all that was ever given was an estimated BC as nobody has shot the BC and I've been trying to get ahold of Litz and was going to personally pay for the BC tests. Sorry for the inconvenience Marshall.

Thanks Milo, you stepping on toes all the time and running your fingers on the keyboard because you have nothing better to do is not nice for anybody including yourself. For your info Matrix shoots their bullets through electric targets to get BC just like the rest of the people, and Litz has done Matrix BC for them as well. As for the 296 all that was ever given was an estimated BC as nobody has shot the BC and I've been trying to get ahold of Litz and was going to personally pay for the BC tests. Sorry for the inconvenience Marshall.

Only after he's done testing my "revolutionary"
.177 caliber pellet with a rebated boat tail. Then
he's all yours.

I beg to differ with you here. I guess you're saying any old Joe Sixpack can determine what the bc of a bullet is? I guess my friend Ron and I should give Mr Ambrose a call with the findings we came up with regarding his new 198gr .296 caliber bullets, because in our test they came in far shy of what was predicted. As with 90% of the rest of them.
Idiot

The idiot i you sir.

Sorry to blow your cherry but you speak of the .296 wich is really to new for be anything solid yet.

We will see if the .296 have a futur.

So yes the matrix new bullet need r&d to refine them, but it is normal.

Stop crying for nothing.

Have you done anymore testing with the 260Rem. with Matrix 150gr. bullets anymore??????