• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 6.5 Creed SAC/Pre. Weapons System.**Update**

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Im sure everyone has seen my rifle before that Mark @ Short Actions Customs built. It started life as Surgeon 591 Shorty with 17.5" barrel. I originally planned to use it as a work gun but its been slow getting a policy in line and it approved. I figure in the mean time I'll shoot some comps. Started shooting some local stuff and REALLY enjoyed it but with a short ass barrel wind can be a bitch!

I decided to switch over to a 6.5 Creedmoor. (I drank the kool-aid...and it's good)

Because Mark at Short Action did an outstanding job I inquired about a rebarrel. Shortly after talking to him I was about to send it off when a friend that's a NCSHP Trooper told me to check out the guy who built his gun. That trooper and his partner won the Gastonia Sniper Conference the year before and I've shot his gun so I know the craftsmanship is there.

I called up Cecil Self of Precision Weapons Systems of Lawndale North Carolina. Cecil is a Mechanical Engineer for PPG by day and a gunsmith as secondary employment. He is also a class 3 dealer and Surefire dealer. We talked and he just happen to have a Rock Creek 6.5 barrel in the same contour I needed
    smile.gif

Cecil gave me a great did deal and 2 week turn around time so I gave him a go. Cecil told me if I was not happy with it the work he'll keep the barrel and I can send it to Mark if it came down to it. Needless to say Cecil's work is AWESOME!

I don't have that many rounds through it yet so I don't want to give a range report because I'm also working with McCourt with the load development, but the stuff I have shot is extremely accurate. It's still a quarter MOA gun.

Without any further yakking from me, here she is:

**Only thing different is barrel change, all original work performed by Mark @ Short Action Customs.**

21" Rock Creek 6.5 Barrel M40 Contour
    Surgeon 591 Action
    Surgeon Bottom Metal
    Timney Trigger set @ 1.5lbs
    Badger NV Mount
    McMillan a3-5 Stock
    Nightforce 3.5-15x50

DSC00378.JPG

DSC00376.JPG

DSC00375.JPG

DSC00381.JPG

DSC00384.JPG

Anybody wanting to get in touch with either of the smiths that have worked on this gun, the following is thier info.

Short Action Customs (S.A.C.)
    Mark Gordon
    42950 Jones Road
    Wellington, OH 44090
    440-309-0085

Precision Weapons Systems
    Cecil Self
    www.precws.com
    [email protected]
    704-473-2351

Re: New 6.5 Creed Barrel SAC/Precision Weapons Systems

Sweet setup bro! I drank the 6.5cm koolaid too with my AE.
    wink.gif

Awesome! I have one (a 6.5 Creedmoor) at PCR being put together and I can't wait to get it. Good luck with yours!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet setup bro! I drank the 6.5cm koolaid too with my AE.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

DAMN! I thought switching over to 6.5 might give me and David an edge on y'all come November but that's out the door.

Na, JK with ya Lynn. I love it so far, it's SO accurate. I shot a couple 5rd groups yesterday before the sun went down and a few times I had to stop and go look at the target because I thought I might be flinging them off the target
    smile.gif
    but it was putting them almost in the same hole, I mean SAME hole.

Thanks for the props guys, I should have a range report next week.

I have a 6.5 off the rack from Savage and it shoots lights out! I had great plans for it before I shot it? Now I'm scared to change something in case I screw it up?

I was lucky enough to get some good advise and got pointed to the 6.5CM round. For those of you on the fence about building a 6.5CM, do it you won't be sorry. It's not picky about ammo, shoots Hornady factory ammo like a laser. It's easy on the body, without a lot of recoil.

Pusher,
    What color is the barrel?

All metal is Cerakote OD, if you contact Cecil he can give you the paint code for the exact color from cerakote.

If you do any ammo testing for work, I'd like to know how it goes. Been contemplating having SAC turn me a 6.5 barrel for work/comps also and plan on shooting some glass/barriers and see how the 6.5 loads react with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rideHPD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gunsmith and engineer? *starts pouring glass* </div></div>

Not sure how to take this or understand but if you are questioning his credentials feel free to call him. Cecil is very down to earth and loves to talk guns to anyone that will listen.
    smile.gif

DSC00378.JPG

DSC00376.JPG

DSC00375.JPG

DSC00381.JPG

DSC00384.JPG

Ready to see this at Woody's next Match in November!

SD, I'll be there. You can shoot it if they have spare time.

wow, that came out really nice and the caliber is top notch, lots of win here
    congrats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rideHPD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gunsmith and engineer? *starts pouring glass* </div></div>

Not sure how to take this or understand but if you are questioning his credentials feel free to call him. Cecil is very down to earth and loves to talk guns to anyone that will listen.
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

Yea that didn't really make much sense, I need to stop being retarded and catch some sleep. I meant that being an engineer he's someone who will understand when I talk, henceforth being a good gunsmith to choose, and by the looks of it he does good work. Now to just conjure up something to build...

Pusher, damn good looking rifle! Let us know how the velocity is when you get a load worked up. Keep us up to speed on your match results, good luck!

Really like that rifle, good job!

How much length does the Surefire brake add to the overall length of the barrel?

The brake itself is 4.19 inches long and over laps barrel 2.75 inches, so roughly 1.45 inches.

WOW!!! That looks great! Have you tried the can that goes on that break yet? Really would love to see the results if you don't mind. I have the same break on my short .308, just never bought the can due to things I heard, and price. I still would like to get one. I highly value your opinion, so a positive report from you might make me go for it. Thanks.

Hey Ozzie! Glad to give you a report. I have not shot it on the new barrel but did shoot mine and another guys Surefire on my SAC .308 barrel and it was awesome! POI shift...NON existent! Give me your email and I'll email a few pics of a 20 round group I shot, 5 rounds unsuppresed, 5 rounds through one suppressor,5 rounds through buddies suppressor, 5 rounds unsuppressed.....you could cover it with a quarter
    smile.gif

I also seem to pick up 30-40fps second when suppressed. This was confirmed through both suppressors and same lot of ammo, on the same day.

I hope to have a range report by Friday, maybe as early as Tuesday.

Great to talk to you, hope your enjoying retirement.

OMG! Looks like I better start saving my beans, lol. I'm almost afraid now. PM sent, thank you.

Pusher that is a rockin stick bro!! Very well done!!

Thanks for the compliments guys! I've loved this rifle since I received it from Mark. I almost let it go twice but couldn't do it when it actually came down to it.

Both smiths are incredible at what they do, I recommend either one if you want to know what it's like to own a truly custom rifle.

***Update***

I got to shoot the rest of my test loads from McCourt Ammunition today. I'm very pleased with the results. I don't know if there was some left over oil, machining marks, or it just needed a good cleaning but the velocity picked up big time.

The first loads I tested were 5 rounds a peice and the rifle liked 2 particular loads that averaged right around 2820 fps. Well after that I went home and cleaned it really well. I didn't use anything abrasive just the typical wet/dry patch until clean.

Well today shot same loads again, 5 rounds each. Velocity picked up around 70 fps across the board. The two most accurate loads are still the most accurate, giving the nod to one particular load. You could cover the group with a dime
    smile.gif
    and not see the edge of the holes on either side. Average velocity for that load was 2902 fps.

The load was around 44 grains of H4350 and was loaded to AICS mag length. You'll have to talk to McCourt to find out load specifics.

Question for everyone though, does this seem a little high for 130's and a 21" barrel? Before anyone ask, the chrono is very consistent and is spot on with other guns and load development.