New 700 5R build for newbie

ryandenis

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2011
Turlock, Ca
I am new to the bolt action area and want to get into long range shooting.

I have been talking with a couple of the regulars on here and have decided to get the Remington 700 5r (now I just need to find one) along with the Night Force 5.5-22 x 56 (still need to decide on the options for this optic).

That being said I am not sure what else I need to do to the gun right off the bat. Some people have said get the gun bedded and get a drop in trigger and then play with it for a while until I decide if I want to put more money into this gun... then if I do get the action trued and blueprinted and look into a 7mm barrel and upgrade the bolt lug.

I just want to start slow but want to do things in the correct steps. like picking the correct optic mount and base... I don't even know where to start there.

does anyone want to help a newbie out?

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
Re: New 700 5R build for newbie

I've had a 700 5R Milspec for a couple years now. I kind of went cheap on the optics by installing a Barska 10-40X50 SWAT scope on a K Farrel G-Force rail type mount. Shoots great even though the optics only set me back less than $300.

The one big change I would recommend for anyone buying this rifle is the trigger assy. Remington's X-Mark pro trigger is OK but only if you don't mind the adjusting screw rubbing the top of your finger on recoil. I replaced it with a Timney unit w/safety.

As for bedding, I skim coated the action bedding block with Devcon 10110 and it made a marked improvement on consistency.

My next project is to modify the stock with an adjustable LOP butplate that also allows for adjusting the "cant".

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
Re: New 700 5R build for newbie

I would recommend against a 56mm objective on the Nightforce. Just sets the eye height a little high and you will likely need a stock pack even with the 50mm objective. Get that scope as low as possible and still be comfortable.

Try and find someone in your area that has a similar scope and try to get behind it. I HIGHLY recommend a Nightforce scope. If you need a tank-tough optic, it is the best priced option.

Another option you may consider is the new Sightron SIII. They have some scopes with reticles and adjustments that match (moa/moa) and I think even a mil/mil version.

Check out the used section for scopes. There are bargains to be had. I got mine for $1300 delivered.