• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New 700, broken extractor.

ackthet

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2013
Hey guys, working on my sort of budget rifle build based on a 700P chambered in 300 win mag. I've been busy with school but collecting pieces. I've had the rifle for 3 months. The other day I tried to insert an empty piece of brass and I noticed the rifle wouldn't extract it. Finally got to the range today and tried with live ammo (just "cheap" factory stuff), and sure enough the extractor came to me from Remington broken. I would not extract a live unfired round, nor would it extract after discharging. I pulled the bolt and can't really see anything wrong with it, but after fitting in a piece of brass, you can see that its basically too short. the brass can fit in, but the brass is not centred on the bolt... hopefully this makes sense.

Since its still under warranty, I assume Remington will fix it for me, though I have read on other forums that Remington wants you to ship the entire gun back. First, is there any reason for Remington to have the entire rifle? Would replacing an extractor change any of the critical variables (like headspace) that would require the receiver? Secondly, would it be better to just get one of the M-16 or Sako style extractors installed? Would I be able to just ship the bolt to a gunsmith? If I go this route, I could also get some other work done on the bolt (like a new knob). Also has anybody else had failed extractors on the 700 while under warranty, what was your experience, and do you have any advice? Also were would be a good place to send the bolt to get an extractor installed and roughly how much does that cost?

I have experienced this problem before. I found that the Remington extractor (only on the magnums) seems to break fairly often. Mine lasted 18 rounds of Hornaday Superformance before it broke. It looked to be "too short" but upon closer inspection I found that there was a piece missing. You can buy the factory extractor and rivet from Midway and usually any gunsmith can install it if you're unsure of your ability. Shouldn't take him more than an hour.

The flip side to this coin is that it is a factory defect and Remington (if you're willing to deal with the hassle) will fix it given the time. Time being the key word, they will take a significant amount of time and frustration on you're part.

For me, I went M16 extractor (on a PTG bolt) and haven't looked back. Sako or M16 style will fix your issue, likely for good. As with everything though, you gotta pay to play!
Just my .02
Dave

I will call Remington on Monday. Last time I had an issue (with an 870) they sent me to a local gunsmith. Hopefully that happens again.

Sadly it looks like I will have to send the entire rifle back to Remington. My local gunsmith wants $65+parts ($85ish total) to replace it. He basically admitted to me he though replacing them was a pain in the ass, which is why its so high. I guess no rifle for 5 weeks...

most places will do a sako style for 125. the Pacific Tool and Gauge bolts are 135 and come with your choice of several different extractors. someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe then you will have to check head space and correct if necessary. looking at the PTG sight it looks like the on .550 magnum bolt face the only option is the sako style extractor. i e-mailed them but have not heard back yet. i ordered a remington extractor from midway 30 dollars. i will try this for now.

Last edited: