• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report New 700 first trip to the Range with Bushnell

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    So I got up to the range today with a friend of mine and his new stick. He's been putting things together for a while and finally got it all in one pile.
    The gun is a .308 Remington 700 varmint that has been chopped at 22, and threaded for a brake/suppresor, the X mark trigger was disposed of and replaced with an older pss trigger. The whole thing was mounted in a BC stock, and topped with the bushnell elite 3-12X44 mil/mil.

DSCF5525.jpg

After some load work up, my buddy had decided on 42.8 gr of H4895 and a 178 Amax. He was working on some different seating depths to see how they patterned, and was getting some okay results. He asked me if I wanted to try a group with it to see if I could make a better one than him, the results were about the same, so so.
    I figured we may as well shoot a couple of my .308 loads through it to see if they did any better, we were pleasantly surprised. I shot the fist one and was pleased to see a very slight change in POI, and as I continued with another 4 rounds, we were both smiling
    grin.gif

DSCF5528.jpg

My pet .308 load is 44.0gr of RL-15 and 175 SMK. Now he's pissed that he still has a box and a half of 178 Amax's and may have to start buying RL-15 and 175 SMK's. We'll see.

Here are both his gun and my Savage 10fcp.

DSCF5524.jpg

This was my first experience behind these newer Bushnell's, I was impressed with the image, very clear and bright. The only thing that kind of bugged both me and the scopes owner was what seemed to be a touchy eye relief/focus issue. When you where on the gun, if you moved your head just slightly, the reticle became unfocused in relationship to the target. It may be a simple adjustment need be made, or that may be the way these scopes are. It wasn't a huge problem, and I'm sure you could probably get used to it, but I could also see my eye getting fatigued pretty quick if I had to deal with it much.
    The turrets were solid, nice crisp clicks. I thought we had a tracking issue for just a moment, but it turns out that another gentleman had shot at our target, very confusing for a minute.
    I'm excited to see how this rifle continues to perform.

Re: New 700 first trip to the Range with Bushnell

Very nice! I have been contemplating one of the newer Bushnells. What distance was your group shot at?

-Z

The magazine length rounds looked like they were doing well (no thanks to the other shooter), I just need to load up another batch and re-test. Maybe those will be on par with your matchking load. Hope Hope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100 yds </div></div>

Very nice!

-Z

Instead of ditching the 178 Amax's, why not load a couple up with the RL-15 and see how they perform? I'll bet they fly pretty much the same as the SMK's.

I may do that, but I also have a pound and a quarter of h4895, so that needs to get fired as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BamaLoaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Instead of ditching the 178 Amax's, why not load a couple up with the RL-15 and see how they perform? I'll bet they fly pretty much the same as the SMK's. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goathead1096</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may do that, but I also have a pound and a quarter of h4895, so that needs to get fired as well.</div></div>

You know what I would do . . . . . . . .
    grin.gif

Flush it down the toilet and go buy rl-15

Nice sticks and nice results. The bushnell scopes are pretty good imo, a mate has one similar and i think it offers good value for money.

You could still get great results with the 178 and h4895, would just require a little more load development.