• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New A5... To bed or not to bed...

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I just finally ordered a new A5 stock from John at JW Precision. He's a great guy and I highly reccommend him if you want a McMillan Stock and you want it now. He's got some. Anyway, after speaking to him I've been made aware that bedding isn't always necessary. I didn't know that and always assumed bedding was absolutely necessary. The rifle that's going into the stock is a 40X Repeater in 7.62 Nato. It has an extremely stout barrel that's 26" and has a straight taper. I've never bedded a rifle myself before and I'd like some opinions. First: Is it highly reccommended to bed it? Second: I know there are some great "how-to's" about bedding here on the hide. I'm pretty handy and mechanically inclined. Should I attempt it myself? Or is it something best left to the experts? This is the most I've ever spent on a stock and I don't want to screw this up! Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

John

Re: New A5... To bed or not to bed...

IMHO. Bed is a must Why spend money on the stock to skimp on bedding

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO. Bed is a must Why spend money on the stock to skimp on bedding </div></div>
Apparently the material the channel of the stock is made of is solid enough to support not bedding if the rifle shoots well without it. I was under the impression that stock channels were soft and would not take the abuse of firing for long. Is that at least one of the reasons for bedding?

My first post on the Hide was this same question.

I ended up pillar bedding after I received the stock and tested the action fit.

If you are chomping at the bit to go shooting just screwing the action in will work but plan on bedding it in my opinion.

Here is the link to my old post, it has a ton of great information from some members.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...186#Post1233186

How will you maintain consistent action screw torque if it isn't bedded? The stock isn't as solid as you might think it is and will give under pressure.

+1 Bedding is a must.

One,
May i suggest checking out Randy's website? He has a diy on bedding. His name here is hateca, company name RD precision. Randy is a good guy to talk/deal with. He built my Rem 700 .223 . turned out great.

SOTA

I'm running mine unbedding at the moment. However, I second all these guys, Brain's comment is right on. I check the torque on mine frequently and no matter if 10 rounds were fired or 40, there is no consistency.

On the side of accuracy though, I'm not complaining, yet.

Bed it. You might be lucky and it may shoot well without it. However I doubt it will shoot better without bedding compared to having a QUALITY bedding job done to it. Nothing to lose but a little money...

there are three bedding threads on here at the moment, scimitar, wn roscoe and 7mm all have threads going on how to bed with pictures. good info there

I think what I'll do is see how it fits initially and plan on bedding it ASAP unless it's really perfect. I think I'll do it myself and just be as careful as possible... And no Tequila that day!

I'm gonna give it a chance as it sits first because there's no bedding in the "McMillan Modified 40X" Stock it's in now and I shot a "dime-sized" 4 shot group at 300yds with it last weekend. (shot 4 because I couldn't believe the 3 shot group so I had to send another downrange just for shits and giggles!) Thanks to all who responded!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bed it. </div></div>

for sure....it's pretty easy just pay attention to detail.

I would say the price of a beddig job would be cheap insurance.

Yes Bed it. You will be way ahead in the end and can only blame yourself when it dont shoot.