• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New AAC 762-SD N6, with 3 random mounts...

chainring

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2008
TEXAS
Background, I've had an AAC SPR-M4 for years and loved it. Had an 18 tooth 762SD that served me well on a 20 inch Remington 700 5R, but sold it to help pay for the N6 with it's shorter length and heavier duty innards.

Since then, posts online about "wobbly mounts" started showing up. For my multi-cal use, a bit of slack wouldn't hurt anything, but wobble on a precision rifle wouldn't be helpful at all....so I had a couple of mandrels made. One in 1/2x28 and one in 5/8x24, so I could chuck a mount of either variety up in a drill press and polish the mating surface the tiny bit needed to achieve one more tooth and a tight mate. I figure, <span style="font-weight: bold">IF</span> my mount isn't tight to begin with, then I can tune it in a couple minutes and move on. I'm ready...

I had collected 3 mounts for it, two bought "new in the package" from others right here on the hide, and a 5/8x24 brake straight from the dealer for my AR10. In playing with the three mounts by hand in the shop, it appeared that the two 1/2x28 mounts had some wobble, but the 5/8x24 mount was pretty good.

I finally got to pick up my new AAC 762-SD N6 today (after 5 months and 7 days, for you guys who are waiting.)

When I got home, I chucked up the mandrels in a Dewalt, just so I could simulate a solid mount on a rifle (still about a week out on my AR10, apparently) and spun the first 1/2x28 mount onto the mandrel. As is my habit with the SPR-M4, I held down the latch and screwed the N6 on 'til it hit the mating surface and released the latch. Backed it off to seat the latch. It wobbled. Shucks....oh well, I can fix that. On a whim, I turned it in the tighten direction. On a whim, I turned the N6 in the tighten direction again and gave it a moderate torque against the mating surface. <span style="font-weight: bold">CLICK!</span> I had just gotten another tooth, and the can was rock solid. Interesting.

Tried the other 1/2x28 mount, same story - with a moderate torque against the mating surface I got one last tooth and a rock solid suppressor.

Well, those two were the "wobbly" mounts....does this mean that my 5/8x24 mount that was a tighter fit before...is it going to be wobbly now if I'm not able to get that last tooth? Nope, with just a little bit more torque than the others, I got a clean little "click" and another rock solid mountup.

All three mountups were easily unlatched and unscrewed, and none required an unreasonable level of torque against the mating surface.

I have NOT fired a shot through this can, as my 5.56 rifles are set up with mounts for the SPR-M4 and my AR10 has not yet arrived - so I can't speak for accuracy, consistency, blow-back around the mount, or POI shift.

But I know this: I don't have any wobble, on any of my randomly-chosen mounts. Kinda wish I hadn't worried about it and spend $75 on mandrels now....

Yeah, I know, pics or it never happened.
smile.gif

Can't wait to shoot this baby.

DSC00755.jpg

Re: New AAC 762-SD N6, with 3 random mounts...

so how does your Dewalt suppress? J/K

It's considerably quieter, and groups shrank noticeably. POI shift is nonexistent, but it is heavier now and gets dirty WAY faster. Needs better glass too.
wink.gif

Suppressed drill pic will become a classic!

Thanks for your report.

Would you mind taking a pic of the mandrel so I can see what the heck u are talking about? :)

Congratulations! You have way more luck or mount choosing skill than me. Be happy for sure.

The mandrels? I had a local machine shop make them for me. Just showed him a couple of mounts and told him what I needed - specifically that they needed to be concentric with the mount so the mount wouldn't wobble when I chucked it up in a drill press.

chainring that suppressed dewalt is the bomb
carpenters everywhere will be in a frenzy to get one! LMAO!!!

although thats funny it was a good idea to check runout of your mounts.

im looking at the aac 762 sd my self for a M1A

Hey Chainring, When you say POI shift is non-existent? What platform are you using? I was curious about others experience with shift. I have the 762SD (not the SDN) and I have been using it on my .300 BLK AR-15 and on my .308 Savage 10 FCP-HS precision. I have noticed a decent amount of shift on the .308, but not so much on the 300 BLK. Any ideas what might account for that and how to correct for the suppressor so I dont have to come up with some elaborate scope doping?

That was tongue-in-cheek about the dewalt. I'm still waiting for my ar10, so I don't know what my POI shift will be - but I'm sure it will have one. My old 18-tooth SD had a vertical shift of exactly 3 inches at 100 yards. Honestly, I just re-zeroed for the shift, since I never shot unsuppressed again.

My point of aim shift was minimal. It took about 20 rounds for it to settle though. Don't judge too quickly. The first rounds were all over.

Oh no.

Don't let the brake-equipped dewalt in the hands of the dude who mounted/dismounted his AAC can 8023 times in two days. Latches will be destroyed in minutes.

LOL! Too true. Dang those pot metal pawls.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point of aim shift was minimal. It took about 20 rounds for it to settle though. Don't judge too quickly. The first rounds were all over. </div></div>

So are you saying that the POI shift reduced after 20 rounds or over all it became consostent only after 20 rounds?