• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Accuracy International Owner Question?

USNIGHTGUNNER

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I just picked up my AI AT 6.5CM this week, and this happens to be my first AI rifle (super excited about it).

A buddy of mine mentioned that the AI rifle actions, just aft of the ejection port, tend to get beat up a bit from the ejected spent brass. Fact, fiction, or myth?

Like many actions, they'll receive scratches from the brass being ejected.

It's purely cosmetic, but if you want to prevent it you can put a piece of tape, or the 3M stuff made for protecting automobile paint. Some put a patch of Velcro there.

Personally, I like the look of a well used rifle.

I appreciate all of the feedback, and not to hijack my own thread, I do have another question.

Do you guys use any grease on the barrel tenons?

I put Velcro on mine. I put nothing on my barrel threads. But anti seize won’t hurt

Reactions: Baron23
My AX is beat to shit behind the ejection port, but it has several thousand rounds through it so it has earned the marks as an honor.

I don't put anything on my tenon threads, doesn't make a difference imo. But as mentioned above, a dab of anti seize won't hurt anything either. A little goes a very long ways.

Not my gun / Picture but this is what your bud is talking about. It bothers some- Some like the battle worn look of a gun. I myself -if I spend 5k plus on a Rifle I am going to stick a piece of the fuzzy Velcro in that spot :)

Attachments

• CA3483C0-2551-4929-B761-313A9D6F2E7E.jpeg
    CA3483C0-2551-4929-B761-313A9D6F2E7E.jpeg
    469.6 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: Rhed and Jdfd556
I don’t think I’ve ever seen that part of my AX, I have a bit over 20,000rds on it.

What I did notice is the bolt is no longer black, it’s almost a shiny silver from sliding in the action. You may want to not shoot the rifle or it’ll have wear marks.

Another item that wears is the bottom of grip from all the various surfaces I shoot it from. Silk socks help with this.

Just shoot the damn thing

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that part of my AX, I have a bit over 20,000rds on it.

What I did notice is the bolt is no longer black, it’s almost a shiny silver from sliding in the action. You may want to not shoot the rifle or it’ll have wear marks.

Another item that wears is the bottom of grip from all the various surfaces I shoot it from. Silk socks help with this.

Just shoot the damn thing
And shoot it I will.......

well loved AIs are best AIs... I've had my AIAT for about 4 years. the skins are beat up and discolored from grime and bullshit, the bolt is shiny (like trophyhunters), and its been through a couple barrels. No anti seize on tenons for me either.
I bought the rifle because its a duty grade precision shooting machine that doesn't require any special treatment. Never tuned a magazine or made any adjustments otherwise. Occasional dry lube on the bolt and thats about it. Thing just keeps shooting.

That's completely normal. If you're a reloader like a lot of us, just put a small piece of the soft side of Velcro on that part of the receiver. That will fix the dinged neck issues on the brass.