• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Advertisements on the Site

Re: New Advertisements on the Site

CKA your shit is funny!!! The ads do suck hairy fucking balls and im sure lowlight knew this and anticipated the bitching....and he has stated that he could give a fuck. Only now its like looking at every other site on the internet infected with advertisements. I too have wondered how much it does cost to host something like this, cant be cheap!

Hell,
it might just cut down on the riff-raff.....
cool.gif

Hello LowLight!,

when I opened my browser and saw this thread I was thrilled!!!

it is WAY WAY better than "server not found"

in this econ. I wish you all the $$$$$ you can get, so I get this sight FREE! I bitch about sone things but this will never be one of them!

I suggest that everyone NOT paying for this sight STFU

now I am going to go find a thread about shootin stuff!

GL LL

Wide screen monitor's are cheap now. Really does not take up that much space. It is what it is and the site is not cheap. Small price to (not) pay for a ton of info....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting 5 online degrees! This is awesome! </div></div>

ILSFLIWMF,OWTAOOTIMTH !

I laughed so flippin loud it woke my family, oh wait, they are out of town, I meant the hooker !

Frank, I loved the site, thank you for the info along the way,....sure do wish it'd go pay per view....

I know it won't be a loss to the group as I didn't have a lot to offer.

I am not logging off and not telling you or the world to fuck off, but it ain't the same.

I wish you well.

I'll check back now and again to see if things have changed (gone to membership basis) but I can't do it.

Good luck and Good Night

ILSFLIWMF,OW<span style="color: #FF0000">,</span>TAOOT<span style="color: #FF0000">,</span>IMTH !

Within one day I am already teaching the courses. I have corrected your acronym for your knowledge. Please see my syllabus if you have any questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually think we need more.

They suck, but bills have to be paid. I don't buy lottery tickets, but I am going to start buying one every week. If I win, I will donate enough money to get rid of the ads. The only catch is that they will be replaced with pictures of me, with guns, in semi nude poses. This should cut down on the bitching. Glad I could help Frank.

Standby for lotto earnings.

</div></div>

LOL Good one!!!!!!!!!

I actually wrote an algorithm to try and catch the lotto, so far it's paying for itself. I hit $30 last week....but not the big numbers!

I'll make the same deal, save for the nude pics LOL

I will deal with the ads here, but is there any way to loose the left margin ad? I already got rid of the right side shoutbox and stuff, but the left side ad makes me have to scroll right now. I use an Acer Aspire one mini notebook, and the little 8" screen got cluttered now which kinda sucks. Will deal with if it has to stay. Either that or go to the damn 10 lb. 17" big boy laptop.

BTW I joined the Online training since the start to help support and keep this place running and I thank you for the well written and demonstrated training. I encourage others to check it out. I know about hosting costs and that it wouldn't help enough to cover all costs and understand your decision and will support it.

Thanks for the hard work you do Frank!

Respect vs. Money= Money always wins!!!!!

I understand the need for some ads and some banners, but the way that they are being done, and to the extent that they are all over the page, feels a little over the top and unfortunately makes the site not very user friendly. (again this is just my opinion and worth jack shit). I am afraid that this will drive folks away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well LL you have made it very very clear you don't give a fuck what me(especially me) or anyone else thinks cares or suggests. Nothing but rude sarcasm. Your site, I guess being rude, sarcastic and name calling fits your mood for the criticism you are receiving and depending on what side of the fence possibly understandable.

However, I have done my damndest to help people with rifle problems, situations, reloading issues and what have you. Spent one hell of alot of time reading, typing, measuring, researching and damn sure more for this site and its members than myself. Don't recall many posts where I asked questions nor bothered others for info. Never been banned, Never bitched about anything, tried my damnedest to stay out of all the horseshit wadded panty posts, name calling, n****r piling on new members or others members that said something they perhaps shouldn't have. All the 'Famous Gunsmiths' sure as hell don't waste much time helping members with the little things cause it is money out of their pockets short term but they never consider long term. I NEVER made any flippin money from my advice, only to help your site and your members.

Ya, I know you don't give a shit, but the more advice and knowledge that was shared for FREE the more members it brought. The more new members the more information yet again(but more bullshit also) and so on and so on!!!! Well now there is 25,000+ members because of it being a great site full of FREE info and now all of a sudden it is worth money to a shit ton of advertisers. So although I sure as hell wasn't a real early member I was here some time ago. Again I know you DON'T GIVE A SHIT but my gripe is that many of us helped you get this site where it is currently, not with money like you but with information that brought the members here currently. And you don't give a shit but I find it somewhat poor taste that you then blow off the older members with "log off you pansy" remarks. Guess trying to be an asset instead of an ass for many years still doesn't deserve any respect????

Ok, my whinney ass bitch fest is done. My first complaint in almost 5yrs is I think the trouble I have been having logging onto the site and the last 10 days and this 'new deal' sucks. Now you can publicly call me names also.

Respectfully,
Dennis </div></div>

Here DENNIS you need some....

1KpgOhsA7kqmz8dlZuA7TWHWo1_400.jpg

Dennis et. al,

let me just say you have no idea how I feel in this situation , what it took to get here, and how much "out of pocket" I have provided over the last 9 years so you can give out your "Free" advice.

As well I have never said any of this in its current configuration is permanent or will not be modified. However I have other considerations beyond aesthetics to consider, and frankly, I don't find any of your "suggestions" very supportive of the situation, you all seem to skip over the fact my business when from a a 10 to a 2 in less than 3 months, all you care about it is how this change effects your browsing convenience. Sorry, didn't mean to upset your personal apple cart it wasn't my intention.

I will say this memberships don't work. 1) would have to block off the site and a majority of the information to "most' allowing full access to a small minority. Second people simply don't pay, the all tend to disappear when the time comes to pony up. Look at the "who would pay" it's tiny compared to who is complaining. Next you'd have to suffer endless requests for "increasing your membership" in order to cover the lack of membership. Dennis, Et. Al. we provided a service based on a subscription, it was the Online Training, did you sign up ? No you didn't --- thanks for supporting the site.

Currently I am working, supporting members of the military training, and believe me the days are long, and hot. The work beyond gratifying but walking into the door to find 100 posts telling me I suck for doing this to "you" and having another 50 PMs telling me exactly how much better and easier it would be to do if only I do what they suggest while never understanding how much effort this site takes. I don't tell others how to run their lives, the business and I think to this point my decisions have a track record, but for the vocal few, change is difficult and it's easier to beat me over the head. I get it, you guys "made this place' with your participation, granted my house doesn't cost me as much as this site, but I suppose it's where you all live so I should be more understanding to your needs when I pay the mortgage.

CKA --- you made my day, I hope you find your perfect online partner through one of the ads, hopefully someone with an awesome airsoft rifle.

Can we have an Eastern European Babes looking for husbands forum...?

Pics would be required.

Pete

People are gonna bitch no matter what you do. If Snipershide had these ad's runnning when they first joined and now you were able to take those ad's away they would bitch about that. I for one dont mind them. If other people have such a problem with it then they can pound sand or let them start their own site which ever is easier for them.
I plan on being a member until Frank shuts this thing down, hopefully not for a while.

Semper Fi

I'm for whatever keeps this forum up and running.

I hate change, and this one was unexpected, but I also recognize when a hard truth is the only one that's pertinent. I support this, and am in this for the long haul.

Like yours, Frank, my crystal ball is cloudy, but you're rising to the challenge and doing what needs doing regardless of all the slings and arrows crap.

I say, Bravo.

Greg

Look at the "who would pay" it's tiny compared to who is complaining.

BRILLIANT!!

I am down with chargeing a fee to be on this site. I think it would keep all the jackasses off and giveing there two cent that realy don't matter. Fuck it I would charge $100 per year.

MAN THE FUCK UP!!

I don't know what all the fuss is about!!! I haven't seen an ad yet on my screen. Don't know why, maybe my server or software but all I see is at the top of the left column is

SnipersHide ads keep SnipersHide online!!!!

I'm rather disappointed as I could use a few online degrees, and would welcome the opportunity to shoot some Nazi's in the nuts!!!!!

I'll just have to wait for CKA to get his doctorate so I can apply and graduate from the University of Bukakke!!!!

I'm more concerend about loosing all the good info in the old posts that got deleted than this ad shit. I mean really, who isn't used to internet ads... They're EVERYWHERE you go...

Hey, I don't like 'em much; heck, I don't like income tax much either. May the Lord give me the strength, etc, the patience, etc.; an' dat's da name o' dat tune...

Suck it up, and forge on...

Greg

Greg sounds like with all the "dat's" you might have a little Cajun in you brother!!!!! LOL

Cajun, no. I'se a Yankee, New York City born an' raised up. Then there's was Newark NJ, too. Now I am a Hillyum William up here in Central NY, near Seneca Lake.

Greg

This is ridiculous people…I don’t like change either, but the bills have to be paid. I agree that it takes many people to make this site what it is, but no one would have a place to ask their questions or pass on their knowledge if it weren’t for Lowlight paying for its existence. I would love to know where, exactly, you are all surfing on the internet that would cause you to get this bent out of shape about ads…or for that matter, do you not watch television, listen to the radio, or read a newspaper or magazine?

I’m young and don’t have a lot to contribute to the site, but I’m grateful to have free access to all of this information. It’s nice to know that, if by some chance, I have a question that has not already been thoroughly discussed, I can ask it and get a response rather than sifting through mountains of crap and useless (or just plain wrong) information on other websites (which , by the way, also contain ads).

My thanks to everyone who makes this site what it is, especially Lowlight and the Mods, now let's all get over it and move on.

Chris

FUF

Foolish of me to compare my contributions to the site vs. someone like 'Big Stick'. I apologize for the likes of him also.

Apologize for trying to make a valid point.

Respectfully,
Dennis

KMALL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dennis et. al,

let me just say you have no idea how I feel in this situation , what it took to get here, and how much "out of pocket" I have provided over the last 9 years so you can give out your "Free" advice.

As well I have never said any of this in its current configuration is permanent or will not be modified. However I have other considerations beyond aesthetics to consider, and frankly, I don't find any of your "suggestions" very supportive of the situation, you all seem to skip over the fact my business when from a a 10 to a 2 in less than 3 months, all you care about it is how this change effects your browsing convenience. Sorry, didn't mean to upset your personal apple cart it wasn't my intention.

I will say this memberships don't work. 1) would have to block off the site and a majority of the information to "most' allowing full access to a small minority. Second people simply don't pay, the all tend to disappear when the time comes to pony up. Look at the "who would pay" it's tiny compared to who is complaining. Next you'd have to suffer endless requests for "increasing your membership" in order to cover the lack of membership. Dennis, Et. Al. we provided a service based on a subscription, it was the Online Training, did you sign up ? No you didn't --- thanks for supporting the site.

Currently I am working, supporting members of the military training, and believe me the days are long, and hot. The work beyond gratifying but walking into the door to find 100 posts telling me I suck for doing this to "you" and having another 50 PMs telling me exactly how much better and easier it would be to do if only I do what they suggest while never understanding how much effort this site takes. I don't tell others how to run their lives, the business and I think to this point my decisions have a track record, but for the vocal few, change is difficult and it's easier to beat me over the head. I get it, you guys "made this place' with your participation, granted my house doesn't cost me as much as this site, but I suppose it's where you all live so I should be more understanding to your needs when I pay the mortgage. </div></div>

This will be my last comment on this and I apologize for your time. I never ever have complained! Never bitched, never said I did not appreciate your site and all it offers. I was trying to make the point that although I fully realize it is YOUR site, YOUR property that others didn't contribute financially but with time/effort to help get it to where it's at today? Oh, I don't want a flipping pat on the back or an attaboy just perhaps a bit of respect. However, once again you make fun of, ridicule and belittle anyone(except perhaps CKA and a few other close friends) for stating their opinions. Guess I had that coming by speaking up for once! So Frank, thanks for the site where I could spend time and try and help people to make myself feel a bit usefull with something in my life!!!!

As for why I DID NOT contribute to YOUR 'Online Shooting Class'. Well, as you bitch slapped me publicly I will inform you publicly. Not whinning just that you asked......

#1- I am on limited income. $10 monthly isn't much to most but it is to me. I have a very limited amount to spend on my only hobby and $120 is training I will never use or what an 8# jug of powder used to cost.

#2- Because of health issues, mainly scoleosis and severe rheumatoid arthritis I cannot shoot prone. I assume 99% of your online class is for prone and or competition shooters. A paced heart @ 70+BPM don't help either.

#3- I have never shot competitively. There are NO matches within 200+ miles of where I live that your type of training would be used. Also I cannot afford to drive 400+ miles round trip just to shoot.

#4- Your only payment options is paypal. I don't have a fucking Paypal account nor will I ever have. I am stubborn and have certain values and beliefs I will not break for you or anyone else. Paypal is not our friend but apparently many don't care. You would think when you have to add the words "or descreet Paypal" something should register?

My NOT subscribing to your online training was not a dis against you or your knowledge. I thought it a good deal for those who could benefit from it and fair priced. I apologize if my NOT being a member of it gives you the right to insult me publicly and consider my advice and help to members here to be totally irrelevant. So be it, you have made it VERY clear it is YOUR house and ALL alot of trouble for you over the yrs.

Good Day.

Respectfully,
Dennis </div></div>

nobody_cares.jpg

Now quit fucking crying already......

I think LL should send the bill to someone who gets lots of publicity on this site.
This individual has been the talk of many post, his products been advertised profusely.

Endorsement like this should be compensated

HERE IS THE SOLUTION!!!!!

Send the bill to......

Forum Suicide? Thats some funny Shit. Now, I will be looking for some online dating, in addition to the online training.

James

I have some "Coon Ass" ad filters for sale!!!! I take PayPal!!! You pay me I deliver!!! Hehehe!!!

Well, as someone who also lost the better part of my life in the last six months and has actually had to get back to "working" I can appreciate the fact that LL had to bring these in to pay the bills. Do I like them? No. Am I going to complain? No. Why? In the two months or so that I have been a member here I have learned more than I have in the last ten years with several trips to "top" rated schools across the country. I was one of the few apparently who jumped at the chance to get the online training and have tried to apply as best I could the information I have received there. Face it, you can't even take a piss in the bathroom without being bombarded by ads at the urinal now. I tend to agree with the rest of you who are suporting LL; FWIW throw my hat into the support ring, the man is entitled to make a living off of his creativity. Now, can someone tell me which is better- the university of san francisco or the university of phoenix for my masters in internet marketing basket weaving?

i just found in world wide obits ,ive lost my father
three times in the last year in three different countries
BUMMER ! ! !

LL.... I had always just assumed that you made money at this thing... for which, you were my hero... how could a guy come up with a better way to make a buck. To find out you are out of pocket is shocking to me. I have a hard time just reading some of the drama that goes down in these internet knitting circles... To think that you actually pay out, to listen to people piss and moan, is in my mind, a testament to the commitment you have to your baby. This latest drama is just another example of infinite expectations, on finite budgets, that seems rampant in our society, and magnified on the internet...

I am very grateful for this place, and my wish for you, is that you can actually make it into a profitable venture.

C

My opinion, which is worth nothing, is that maybe you could set up a membership that means absolutely nothing... just a way to donate to the site. I would pay it. A competing web-site does this and despite the fact that I frequent this site a hundred times more (at least), I have "donated" to the other site and not given one red cent to this one.

I agree that not everyone would pay and it would not make up all of the revenue shortfall, but the time it takes to make up such an engine for donation would at least pay for itself... might be worth it.

I personally know a guy who offers a wine inventory program called "Cellar Tracker." He started out with a donation-based model. You downloaded the program and then payed for what you thought it was worth. He was able to sustain himself and his development time for a while and as it grew, he added a tool that values your cellar. He charged for that. The donation business model can fare pretty well.

As for the ads... they don't bother me much, but I just read what was being pimped at me and they made absolutely no sense until I realized it was Google mistranslating my last few searches. My search for a Nightforce Bikini Cover resulted in some soft porn referrals and my search for a flat head screwdriver resulted in some interesting vacation plans. It reminds me of the episode of "Mind of the Married Man" when his Tivo thought he was gay, so he started Tivoing porn and NASCAR. I need to start searching Google for things I actually might buy :-0

Coupla points.

I think we've all had our moment of angst regarding this issue.

I would just like to point out that I, probably like many, have had subsequent misgivings about some of my posts on this and other subjects. I keep coming back to something my Dad taught me, and which I keep forgetting to my own embarassment.

If an idea, especially a radical one (for me anyway), is really a good idea today, it will remain so tomorrow, after tempers have cooled and wisdom has had some time to work its magic. Better to hold the thought for that day, and reconsider it the next day, in a new day's light, before actually posting it. I've saved myself much embarassment, and spared my friends much displeasure, by recalling this truism.

Maybe there's a lesson here for many of us.

LL has done far more than foot the bills for the website o/o pocket. Many of you have heard me speak of the Ghost Dancer Project. Well, those rifles were bought for us by LL. He would never take a penny for them, and also picked up big ticket expenses for a bunch of us when we went to Whittington to put them to the test at 1000yd their first time out.

So when we whinny and moan about the injustice of things, let's keep a few things in perspective. Profit was never one of his motives with this site, and even if a few bucks <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> found their way out of the red and into the black, I say shame on those who begrudge him. I would consider that to be ingratitude of the first water.

Greg

I'm no great fan of ads/banners/pop-ups etc. in general.

I've found (as with most change issues) after a few days you either don't notice them or work around them.

If ads are what it takes to keep the Hide going, no problem.

I'm sure the layout can be tweaked to keep things user friendly as the new format evolves........and if they are targeted at the needs/interests of the members it can be a real benefit

LowLight, Thanks for finding a way for the Hide to STAY ONLINE. Ads really arent that hard to ignore and has been said before, "your house your rules" if someone doesnt like it well they can bloddy well go build their own site and see how long it stays free (if it keeps operating, my guess is under a year)

I agree with Greg, I haven't been here long, but I appreciate being able to continue to use the site.

I know the R1 forum had a great success with a paid or life membership allowing paid members to turn off the ads. Be that as it may, that's for LL to decide and evaluate. I'd commit to it as I did to support the R1 forum and the information there.

However, my complaint that continues to cause problems is that the ads are borderline work safe and suck up the slow connection that I have at home.

If I can't see it at work because I'm going to get reported for content and I can't see it at home for bandwidth issues (which I can't improve until Verizon fixes their network issues) then this place is about as good as a rifle without ammo.

So, if LL is still reading this, please screen the ads that are the lifeblood to this site for something that isn't going to cause the "Adult Content" filter on my corporate network to have fits.

Frank I never knew how the site was funded, nor do I know the associated costs. I simply paid what was asked and supporting the comps I can only hope all such business type members here are doing the same. Sorry to hear about the hit to your business going from a 10 to a 2, we all got hit some, but that is a lot. Let me know what I can do.

To those making noise, it must not be that big of a deal to start a website and get members that are willing to share. So start your own site then after 18 months let Frank know how you did it without asking the site to generate funds to cover costs, let alone profit.

Last, bohem, dude, you are at WORK! Is you employer cool with you spending time at SH while on the clock? Seriously unless your work is www based, how does anyone justify getting paid to surf the web?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To those making noise, it must not be that big of a deal to start a website and get members that are willing to share. So start your own site then after 18 months let Frank know how you did it without asking the site to generate funds to cover costs, let alone profit. </div></div>

There are many ways to monetize a site. Sponsorships, memberships, advertising, donations, product sales, and so forth.

Frank says on one hand that no-one is giving him alternative ideas, yet then goes on to state in a following message that people who do give advice in PMs and emails should mind their own business, as "I don't tell you how to run your business". So I really don't know what side he is really falling out on. So here is some general, unsolicited advice for anyone with a website, not just SH:

There is a huge amount of valuable information gathered here, so the key is how to monetize that info. Maybe charge people a small yearly fee if they want to search any post over 10 days old. Even better: someone quoted there are 25,000 members here. Based on my own experience in funding tech startups, I'd say 90% of the posts are done by 5% of the members. So charge people $50 per year. 200 members paying $50 is $10k per year. That's a nice start. Hell, you can lose prob 15,000 members and the board won't be affected badly as you will maintain the bulk of the "elite" members. Why is the Wall Street Journal one of the only sites that can charge for its content? Because it has value and you can't just go to google and find it elsewhere. If this site is truly valuable--and who doubts this??--then people WILL pay. Better yet, set up a tiered structure, where different amounts paid will open up different features on the board. So that way someone can pay $5 for access to say articles on scope reviews. $15 gets normal membership but no search. $50 buys you everything.

The problem with these ads, especially now, is how many members are going to click-through? That is where the real money gets made. As people ignore them, they will not generate revenue. Either a sponsor puts ads on SH specifically (and then pulls it because of lack of clicks) or SH is added to an advertising network(which takes an ad and places it on several dozen or even hundred websites). Non-producing sites get swapped out for producers so that the advertising network is worthwhile, and SH will find itself dropped over time. Hence, the danger is that the ads drive away members, but generate little incremental revenue because no-one is clicking through.

I would suggest dropping the ad network completely, and get ads from Nightforce and Premier and several gunsmiths like GA Precision... place them predominantly at the top of any and every page, unobtrusively. You can charge a very high PPC or even PPS because let's face it, this board is specialized and exactly the kinds of people that buy this product. Ford can advertise during Spongebob, but they pay a lot more to advertise during a Bears-Packers game due to the type of person watching the show... I bet S&B sells a LOT of its product to SH members -- that is worth something to S&B.

Even better, charge the dealers that sell those products to members that openly advertise on here for free in threads.

Another small revenue stream can come from selling products, either co-branded or offered just to the membership. Throw in a sponsor raffle every once in a while (quarterly?) to make a paid membership more attractive.

This post is long enough, but just want to show there are many way to generate revenues for a site, and as time goes on, each website figures out what is best.

Mark21, you make some valid points, which I'm sure Frank will read and consider or has already considered. I don't think Frank would make a business decision based on a whim but would rather research options, none of which are pleasant or absolute. But I think looking/considering options is a healthy thing. Unfortunately, many, including me, have no real idea what it takes to run a site like this so our suggestions are easily dismissed by those that do. No bias, just reality.

On website memberships (free), once signed up, always signed up so my way of thinking, the number of members vs number of active members will get further apart with each passing year. How many sites are you a member to that you joined for a specific reason or no longer go to? All that to say, to use "total members" as a bases for the math would not match the reality.

A better model can be found based on the SH on-line training course which seems to be a source to generate funds. Want to guess how many members signed up for that? I bet 25-50 signed up, why haven't more? Maybe because it costs 10.00 a month? Maybe if there was 250 signed up the ads would go away, maybe it takes 350, I don't know. I do know most everyone here has benefited from SH one way or another and Frank puts a lot into it and he like all of us needs an income.

Regarding advertisers such as NF, GAP etc, I just noticed the banners from such advertisers are gone, including ours. I have to believe this is because the site is in the flux with "change", happening here too and they will in time be back.

You seem to know about such things, what does it cost to keep such a site up and running, everything, turnkey for a year?

I have not the answers, but am willing to participate in the solution.

Well I for one don't really care if the ad's are here or not . What bugs me are the ad's in the middle of posts.Every websites pages have banners that's how they make money and stay in business.I would also think a yearly charge to post in the exchange or for sale section by the people who wish to sell their wares. People including me sell a lot of high dollar stuff,so I am up for a yearly listing charge on that.Hell if you list something on GB your going to pay. I also feel that there are a lot of businesses on this site selling hundred's of thousands of dollars worth of their things and they should be made to pay ,one could run a very sucessful business here and to only pay a few hundred a year is might bit CHEAP...I guess no matter what people do to change things you are always going to piss off someone.

I have to say, I don't think you guys get it.

1. Membership: There are a lot of people on a fixed income, and a lot of members whether you want to believe it or not cannot and will not pay even $10 a month, hell it has been posted on here in regards to current ads. Then when it comes to membership, you have to close a large part of the board off to non-members. Membership is the number 1 piece of advice.

Then you have elements of the military both foreign and domestic. You have them to consider. They use the site and are not going to pay a membership. So you are cutting them off completely.

Members only sections only have 1/10th the traffic of the other areas, and people will simply gravitate to those areas. As with most here, "why pay when you get it for free".

We currently offer a service, for a subscription fee and this the was second time (MARK21) a member offered advice and was willing to pay and hasn't. So again, for the second time at least, have you signed up for the online training offered by this site MARK ? No you haven't. It's $10 a month, goes to the site and provides a service in return. So please, tell me how you think the majority of members who are on this site are going to pay $10, $20, a month or more just to post when they won't do it for something in return?

Tell me that was being unreasonable on my part ?

That is the number one piece of advice I receive and this is my counter to it. I've been here since day one and know the trends and how my members act, unlike you 50 post fools offering me advice.

2. For sale section, well I can tell you now the subject has come up over and over again. And frankly the majority of you will NOT pay, you'll simply look else where. The small minority of you that will, won't amount to a hill of beans and will require twice the work to admin.(You should see it now) Its been posted, its been decried over and over and it's been proven to be a losing proposition in my opinion. To set up something easily to administrate would probably require PAY PAL which can be done, but you go right back to the HARD CORE decrying the evils of Pay Pal, and will not use it... hence the cycle begins.

Charging Businesses, well I am not going to air any laundry when it comes to this. But I charge a modest charge and require a prize for each of our site sponsored matches. It's difficult at best and really I think my time is better spent than having to chase them around reminding them to pay or send prizes, even then many "forget"... and we'll leave it at that. The Business side of this site will be changing, and frankly I don't expect a lot to able to afford the true value I place on this site, as well as the value I believe others place on the site.

Let the businesses tell you, will they pay $500 or more a month, because with a site with this traffic they would honestly be paying closer to $2500 anywhere else.

Currently, I am not sitting at home, I am working on a range, administering the "Changes" and Avenues suggested would be a full time job, so I can chose to take a route like ads, which costs the members nothing, or I can start working as an internet invoice service where i sit home and chase people down for money and ad space, ad space you all want to see. I'd go from working on a range to internet sales and let me tell you I hate selling shit. If I had to work the phones everyday I would kill myself. As it is, the only time I hear from anyone is when they are complaining about the site. Either something I did, or what someone else said, blah, blah, blah... it fucking sucks. I would rather stay on the range, leave my phone inside and teach shooting.

Since I am so completely fed up with the majority of you backseat, internet geniuses I'm gonna say, again.

I HAVE BEEN WORKING, WORKING ON THE RANGE EVERYDAY FOR THE LAST 3 WEEKS STRAIGHT with barely a day off. I HAVE NOT EVEN HAD A CHANCE TO SIT DOWN WITH THE WEB PEOPLE TO FINE TUNE THE ADS, WHETHER THAT MEANS MOVING THE ADS, FOCUSING THEM BETTER, WHATEVER... I PLAN ON IT, AS I WILL BE HOME ON MONDAY AND THINGS WILL BE CHANGED A BIT, FINE TUNED IF YOU WILL. BUT IN THE MEANTIME, I'M PRETTY SICK OF THE BULLSHIT AND SAME OLD COMPLAINT OVER AND OVER. YOU HAVE NO CLUE, UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE NO CLUE AND GET OVER IT.

If you find it so offensive, do me a favor, log out, and leave. its really that simple. You won't hurt my feelings, in fact I'll think you a better person for it. Instead of the endless whining and crying, especially most you know full well I am not home and I am on a ranging working everyday.

Let me run the site, I have been doing better than most for 9 years, I think I know how to do. If I don't move fast enough for you all, too fucking bad, but I am moving forward, and when I do, I want to see you all step up with as much effort as you do when you complain.

Frank, I admire the fact that you even take your time to CONTINUE to explain your business tactics to people who don't have a clue.

I for one would never have the patience to do so. Those of us who run a business fully understand what it takes to fund operational costs.

Every business needs cleansing from time to time. Those who don't like what is being offered will go. I have found a good cleansing is actually healthy for business from time to time.

Do whatever it is you have to do, keep teaching shooting as that is why we are all here.

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep thousands of arm-chair quarterbacks from telling you how to coach.

Spend your time doing what you love doing, Teaching, and providing a place like SnipersHide for those of us who cherish the sport to share.

Red Bull+High Blood Pressure= UNHEALTHY FRANK!!!!

I'm a fairly new guy to this forum, one of the %0 or so post guys. I don't see a problem with what you have HAD to do. I don't have alot os "Spare" money now days. If this went to a membership base site, I wouldn't be able to use it anymore. I thankyou for the site as it was and as it has to be in these tough economic times.
Ignore the complaints for the most part and continue a very informative site.
Just my two cents in a 50 cent minimum world

OK how many times does Frank have to explain it. This change needed to be done. I have spent countless hours talking to Frank about this site. Frank would rather do other things then look at countless PM's and emails with complaints. Since Frank has launch this site it has grown by leaps and bounds. It has also cost him a lot of money. He now needs to do something to try and get a little return on his time spent and also money spent on this site. Times are HARD. I would rather see the ads then see the site go away. Think about that before you offer advice or complain about soemthing.
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Maybe charge people a small yearly fee if they want to search any post over 10 days old.
</div></div>

Dear god, cause the problem we have now is certainly that we don't have enough new or transitive members re-hashing the same old posts over and over and not electing to search and read what has already been discussed. People can't be bothered to read the posts made 10mins prior to asking what height rings to use with a 50mm PMII, you think they're gonna pay so they can ignore more than 10 days?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...what....no Viagra adds...</div></div>

Don't worry, man. The more you post, the more you'll skew SH's ad profile towards items targeted to you. I figure, 4 days max.

Just counted of the 743 viewing, there was 1 (ONE) in the training section.

So ONE lonely guy is paying to be here while the rest ride his back....nice.

And the largest section for viewing? The For Sale sections which means the largest single majority of viewers are looking for bargains at SH.

Is there a connection? They have money to spend or why look for stuff to buy? I think this explains why they are not ponying up for the training, they prefer freeloading or they want it for 5.00 a month....

And to anyone that cannot afford the 10.00 a month for the training, I can appreciate that, been there, but come on, 1 guy out of 743?

Are we as a community that hooked on freeloading???