• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AI AWSM 300 win mag

joe_skeeter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2010
Jacksonville, Florida
HI, I just got my first sniper rifle yesterday, a gift from my wife for our 25th anniversary. She allowed me to pick-it-out and I selected an AI AWSM 300 win mag. Today I was able to go through a break-in process and adjust the scope onto paper. I was actually able to adjust it to hit a ¾ round sticker at 100 yards most of the time. I have one question that I could not find in the owner’s manual. Can and how do you adjust the trigger pull? Also, how do you images to your posts?

Re: New AI AWSM 300 win mag

Did you get it new? There should be a small manual to go with the rifle. If you cant' find one, may want to shoot a PM to Stacey@AINA. He should be able to help you do it CORRECTLY.

While its purely semantics....the AI AWs are in the purest form "Sniper Rifles"
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeeter-FL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can and how do you adjust the trigger pull?</div></div>Here's how I do it, courtesy of Zak Smith:

1) Adjust the sear screw until there is no creep left;
2) Either adjust the spring preload until it's at minimum, or adjust it until the striker won't drop when the rifle is butt-stroked HARD on a solid floor (your choice, with associated safety implications).

The trigger weight screw is the one closest to the muzzle.
The sear engagement screw is at an angle and in the trigger.
Do NOT attempt to dismount the trigger.
Do NOT touch the first stage adjustment screw, which is internal to the trigger assembly and positioned horizontally on the trigger above the sear screw.

You may wish to keep track of the adjustments you make in case you want to set the trigger back the way you found it when you started.

Graham,

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I see the two screws as you identified and I will make note of the changes I make. I was surprised that the owners manual did not have a section on the trigger adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeeter-FL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can and how do you adjust the trigger pull? </div></div>

Since this is your first precision rifle, I will save you some heartache. DO NOT ADJUST THE TRIGGER. A "hair trigger" is not needed, wanted or desired on these rifles. More shooters get in trouble by dinking with the trigger than any other equipment related malfunctions. It's a good way to turn an extremely reliable rifle into a club.

Learn a proper trigger pull and you will quickly find that the AI trigger as it comes from the factory is more than sufficient.

Congratulations on your new rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">\EDIT - Precision Rifle not Sniper Rifle </div></div>

In this case he is correct in calling it a Sniper Rifle. That is what AI rifles are designed for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeeter-FL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham,

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I see the two screws as you identified and I will make note of the changes I make. I was surprised that the owners manual did not have a section on the trigger adjustment. </div></div>

Skeeter, I would be careful to tune the trigger too much. I have own 3 AIAWs now, and have never had to tune anything. Certainly, I would strongly talking to Stacey Blankenship before to "over do" it. Just my two cents. Certainly, it's your rifle and you have made a good choice.

I would not mess with the trigger they are fine from the factory for
a rifle that heavy.

Would also like to see some pics when you get that part figured out.
Congrats on the rifle!

Excellent 25th anniversary gift. Congrats on the rifle and the 25 years. I'm working on nine years myself. I hope I get a AWSM for my 25th LOL.

skeeter-FL congratulations on a great rifle. I've had my AW for 6 years now and it still makes me smile every time I shoot it - a great piece of kit and IMHO the best money you'll ever spend on a rifle.

Mine's a keeper - I'm sure yours will be too.

I'd +1 to the guys who said no need to fiddle with the trigger

And congratulations on your 25th - what a peach your wife must be to get you a present like that! Mine threatens to remove my balls with a blunt knife if I so much as mention another rifle these days...
laugh.gif

Congrats. You will be very pleased with its performance. Recommend not altering the trigger. One of my M24's in 300 had a 1lb trigger and it ended up being a liability. It was too light to use based on prior training/experience and it was a mission distractor.
Leave as factory setting, it's set correctly by them for a reason.

The AI AWSM 300 win mag is awesome!!! With that said, I am cautiously looking at adjusting the trigger weight. The AI brochure lists the (8) Trigger assembly and states that the trigger is adjustable for pull weight. It does not recommend adjusting the sear in order to reduce user take up in the first stage as this could cause an accidental discharge. At this point I have not touched the trigger adjustment and will not make a decision to until I have checked the trigger pull weight. I have on order a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge from MidwayUSA. I will keep you posted on what I find out once it arrives.

Congrats and nice choice!!! I would not trade my AI for anything. The trigger on mine is so nice that I have never considered changing it.

Congrats on your 25th!

AI triggers are great out of the box for comps & mil situations.
They resist dust, dirt, grime, & freezing conditions as set by the factory. I use mine for bench shooting most of the time. Just looked up my factory settings in my log book, it was 2.5# when i received it; crisp break & light enough.

I did adjust mine down into a 1# single stage trigger but as i said it is for bench shooting & i am used to single stage triggers. Count your turns if you adjust yours so you can get it back to factory settings. A call to Stacey can answer any questions you have about it.

Scroll down the forums list to "Snipers Hide Site Information". How to post pics should be on the first page of that section. Get it figured out. We want to see your rifle.

Congrats on your 25 years. My wife is only enjoying her 17th year of sheer bliss with me. What part of town are you in?

That is truly a thing of beauty. I can tell already we need to get together for a scope comparison.

The scope is a Schmidt and Bender.
5-25 x 56 Police Marksman II LP
True 2000-meter capability. Unlike most long-range variables that offer only a 4x magnification multiple, the 5-25 x 56 provides a full 5x and a wider field of view. Parallax adjustment in a separate turret, completely adjustable from 10 meters to infinity.

The illuminated reticle has 11 graduated settings offering precise control relative to ambient light. The scope includes Schmidt & Bender's unique color-coded "Double Turn" elevation knob that gives the shooter instant reference to where the elevation is set. The entire 100-minute adjustment range can be covered in just two turns of the knob. The user will never become "lost" within the adjustment range.

The 5–25 x 56 is offered with 56 MOA of 1/4 MOA clicks, or 273cm (93 MOA) of 1cm clicks. Your choice of P3 or P4 reticles. Specifications

U.S. Marine Corps uses Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 as Scout Sniper Day Scope. Full details here.

Parallax adjustment is located in a third turret on the left side, allowing you to make adjustments without removing your eye from the scope.

Illuminated reticle control is also conveniently located on the left side of the scope immediately in front of the eyepiece. You have complete control over brightness with positive click stops.

Threaded soft rubber or aluminum sunshades are available for all PMII scopes.

I was able to adjust my trigger weight from 3-lb 9-oz to 2l-b 8-oz am I am very pleased with the results. I was able to shoot on Monday with Black Hills factory ammo. I able to shoot a 3 shot group of 3/4 at 100 yrds when I don't get in a hurry. I also tested my first reloads and have alot of work to do. The groups were not tight at all. Im using new winchester brass, win promers, sie 190gr hpbt, and 76gr of H1000. I am going to try increasing the loads slowly up to 81 gr per the manual. I plan to cron the loads including the Black Hills ammo and try to match their velocity. This is FUN!

Glad you are enjoying the rifle, congrats!