• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AI AX with non AI barrel?

tna9001

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2017
Asheville NC
Hello All,

I went to pick up my AI AX today; I ordered it chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The AX rifles come to the US without barrels and Win Tactical, a shop owned by AI make the barrels off of Bartlein blanks. These barrels are stamped with the mark AI on the barrel near the action.

The rifle I received which is still sitting at my LGS until I decide what to do has “"Mile High shooting accessories Erie CO”" promptly stamped on the end of the barrel. I’'ve got a couple problems with this, It’s not an AI barrel (although Mile High is an approved AI service center) and I expect a $7,000 rifle to have a little better attention to detail than to have the name, city and state of the shop who put a non AI barrel on the rifle promptly displayed on the end of the barrel. Supposedly, these barrels are made from Bartlin blanks to the same specs as the Win Tactical (AI) barrels are.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm surprised you bought a 7k rifle and didn't know AI doesn't make 6.5 barrels. You have to get an aftermarket barrel. Mile high is top of the line you have nothing to worry about, if they weren't they wouldn't be a authorized dealer

Last edited:
I'm surprised you bought a 7k rifle and didn't know AI doesn't make 6.5 barrels. You have to get an aftermarket barrel. Mile high is top of the line you have nothing to worry about, if they weren't they wouldn't be a authorized dealer

Maybe you should actually read what I wrote, AI doesn't make any barrels, none. The AT rifles are imported with Luther barrels and the AX rifles are fitted by Win Tactical here in the US, and Win Tactical make 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for the AI AX.

I spent the money so I didn't have to wonder what I'm getting, do you have a rifle with a barrel made by Mile High that you can actually tell me about?

Last edited:
Sounds like miscommunication on what you would end up with.

With that being said, you have a quality rig with a quality barrel. I have no doubt that it'll shoot great. I also don't think it'll hurt your resale value if/when you decide to sell it.

Mile High has a strong reputation in the shooting community.

Who did you buy the rifle from? I thought Mile High was WIN tactical. Either way, you have an AI barrel that is as good as AI barrels get.

Edit: I have a barrel marked as you describe, which I bought from Mile High. It's perfect although I dont care for the way they mark them.

Last edited:
I don't care for the wording on the barrel either but the question becomes, are you going to hang it on the wall or are you going to shoot it? If it bothers you that bad I'd reject it and go buy a Ruger as it would probably shoot as well.

Have you called Mile High? They're the ones that would be able to help you, not anyone here. Their barrel or a AINA barrel are going to be the same thing minus markings (which should be under the handguard). If it really makes a difference to you they'd probably swap out the barrel if that's what you wanted.

Have you called Mile High? They're the ones that would be able to help you, not anyone here. Their barrel or a AINA barrel are going to be the same thing minus markings (which should be under the handguard). If it really makes a difference to you they'd probably swap out the barrel if that's what you wanted.

They've been marking them with mile high and the cartridge out near the muzzle. Mine has the date of manufacture under the hand guard.

You won't ever be happy with that MileHigh bbl on, of all things, an Accuracy International rifle. It's akin to putting wheel spinners on a Shelby Cobra. Please mail the barrel to me, I'll put it on my worn AX. Hopefully it is tan.

I have a couple ATs and I have one of their 6.5 Creedmoor barrels. Nothing to worry about, it shoots great.

I feel like OPs post is just a poor attempt at a humble brag. You bought a 7k rifle from mile high, it will shoot fine. Quit bitching and go shoot it.

Mile High uses the same Bartlein barrels the guys there are authorized to use them, as they have the spec and have been trained up by AI, beyond their normal training. Hell their gunsmiths are tops and came from places like GA Precision to give you a clue.

Barrels are one of those things with AI, depending on the timing and stock, but MHSA has been supplying barrels for a while. They used to have several options for barrels and still do, MHSA is oen of them. None of my AI Rifles have AI barrels they have MHSA barrels.

WIN Tactical has one barrel making machine, instead of waiting you got what you ordered in a timely fashion thanks to great people at MHSA.

Regardless of whose barrel it is, if Mile High put it on I'm certain they will stand behind it. If you really don't want to take the gun until you know exactly what the situation is, you should contact them directly. My guess is they will assure you all is well and it will shoot just like a $7k rifle should, its an AI!!!

I guess I'm still wondering what the problem is? So the OP thought the rifle would come with an AI barrel in 6.5CM? Sounds like there was no research into how these rifles come with 6.5 barrels; a fault of the buyer, not the seller. No bashing the OP per se, just saying that if due diligence had been done, it is well documented in many threads here that the 6.5 barrels are from MHSA and/or WIN Tactical. Getting mad at a vendor seems to be a strange reaction to not really understanding what was being purchased(?).

i felt OP that he wants a completed Rifle made by AI and that's why he bought an AI. Like some people only buy the BMW that only assemble from Germany plant, Not the US assembly plant.

The rifles are not made in one place...

The chassis for the AX is made in NY, where WIN TAC is, but barrels used to come from places like Lothar Walther, Border, and now Bartlein ... There is no AI 6.5CM UK barrel, and WIN TAC is relatively new, so where does he think the barrels came from before they started WIN Tac ?

Just like AINA barrels used to come from Dave Tooley, Dave was contracted by AI to spin up the Bartlein barrels in the US just like MHSA does ...

It's a barrel, it's a good barrel, he is just a bit ignorant to the facts of the matter, there was always someone else's barrel on AI rifles

The rifles are not made in one place...

The chassis for the AX is made in NY, where WIN TAC is, but barrels used to come from places like Lothar Walther, Border, and now Bartlein ... There is no AI 6.5CM UK barrel, and WIN TAC is relatively new, so where does he think the barrels came from before they started WIN Tac ?

Just like AINA barrels used to come from Dave Tooley, Dave was contracted by AI to spin up the Bartlein barrels in the US just like MHSA does ...

It's a barrel, it's a good barrel, he is just a bit ignorant to the facts of the matter, there was always someone else's barrel on AI rifles

I talked to AI this morning, according to the gentleman I spoke to, AI doesn't share specs with any shop including Mile High and Bartlein will not sell a blank with the AI contour to any shop other than Win Tactical. Today, the only folks making barrels to AI specs are Lothar (for the AT rifles) and Win Tactical for the AX series. So, a barrel from Mile High isn't a AI barrel, not the same specs and not the same contour. That doesn't mean it's not a great barrel and your endorsement means something to me but it is not an AI barrel.

You should call MHSA where the rifle came from, and not your 3rd party seller...

I guarantee if I go to MHSA and put the two side by side you cannot tell a difference and talking with them, it was stated, there was no WIN Tac barrel available at the time, just like I said.

You have no clue how much work MHSA does in terms of AI rifles, they are a distributor, authorized repair and LE Distributor, do you not think the barrels are the same ?

if AI does not share a spec how did all these other companies from Dave Tooley to Lothar Walther make barrels ?

I'm just trying to gather information. As I said, I talked to AI this morning and got completely different information than your giving me. I'm not putting down Mile High but I want to understand what I'm buying and the process from a consumers standpoint has been confusing. Thank you for helping me understand the history.

Send the rifle back and get a refund... you won't be happy as you are already second guessing everything being told to you.

You bought an AI, AI rifles source barrels from more than one place, been that way for a very long time.

Win Tac is new, Win Tac is small, and a Bartlein barrel is a Bartlein Barrel, I don't see the issue.

Clearly you need a different name on it, hell even Studeville Precision was making barrels for Euro Optics as they do not have in house gunsmiths like MHSA does.

Managing Expectations:

OP - did you buy it b/c it said AI on the side, or did you buy b/c you wanted a performance and durability standard? If it meets that standard, and all parts are sourced from an approved supply chain - what more is there to care about?

I guess I'm still wondering what the problem is? So the OP thought the rifle would come with an AI barrel in 6.5CM? Sounds like there was no research into how these rifles come with 6.5 barrels; a fault of the buyer, not the seller. No bashing the OP per se, just saying that if due diligence had been done, it is well documented in many threads here that the 6.5 barrels are from MHSA and/or WIN Tactical. Getting mad at a vendor seems to be a strange reaction to not really understanding what was being purchased(?).

with respect to this site, this place is not official anything so it's not a due diligence reference point. If it's not mentioned explicity on AI's site or something that was/should be called out by seller then no buyer has a duty of care to come here and see what's in the threads. This is just a forum, not vendor product specific announcements.

Barrels are consumable, if you wants to buy a rifle to shoot, they're a temporary fixture on the rifle before a new one is installed. If you buy because of re-sale value/investment etc, then not being told these things is on the vendor, not buyer IMHO.

Either case, I'm sure it shoots well.

If you wanted the rifle for nostaglia and not for shooting it, you should have just bought a 308, I don't think the AI website even mentions calibers beyond 308, 300WM and 338LM, (yes .50) The only barrel that is marked correctly is the UK 308 barrels with the UK Proof Marks, not other barrels have proof marks from the UK or AI ...

Just like I thought, the AI website gives no mention of calibers other than 308 and the factory barrel option of UK 1-12 Twist barrels AX308-datasheet-UK-k8cl_Page_1.png

If you wanted the rifle for nostaglia and not for shooting it, you should have just bought a 308, I don't think the AI website even mentions calibers beyond 308, 300WM and 338LM, (yes .50) The only barrel that is marked correctly is the UK 308 barrels with the UK Proof Marks, not other barrels have proof marks from the UK or AI ...

Just like I thought, the AI website gives no mention of calibers other than 308 and the factory barrel option of UK 1-12 Twist barrels

so there you go. If OP wanted an investment, manu spec is the only way. A 6.5CM is 'custom' and so caveat emptor...

I have 4 AI's and they though the years come with different barrels. Here is an example,

PSR came with 3 Dave Tooley Bartlein barrels plus the 6.5 I ordered with it.

AX came with Lothar Walther 20 in .308 1-12 changed to Tooley Bartlein 26in 6cm

AT came with Win Tactical 26 in .308 1-12 moved that to the AE so the AT now has 26in Tooley Bartlein 6.5CM

AE came with AINA 26 in .243 1-8 ( probably made by Tooley) but now has the Win Tac barrel.

Long story short different barrels but they all shoot 1/2 moa or better if I do my part. I would call Randy the owner of Mile high and he will answer what ever questions you have.

Last edited:
I talked with Mike at Mile High, he cleared things up, thanks Mike!

And thanks to those who actually provided useful information on this forum.

The day I bought my AXMC308 I placed an order with Mile High for a .260REM barrel to match in the new dark earth and it is a Win Tactical/Bartlein hammer. I haven't even shot the AI factory barrel, imagine it shoots as well.........LOL!

so there you go. If OP wanted an investment, manu spec is the only way. A 6.5CM is 'custom' and so caveat emptor...

Hmmm...that was kind of my point. Caveat emptor implies the buyer doing a little research...

Frank pretty much summed up what I was referring to; AI's have always come with barrels from other manufacturers when they were not standard caliber. A little reading/research would have revealed this. I just found it ironic that the OP chastised one poster with "Maybe you should read what I wrote" and yet (obviously) did very little reading himself about an item he dropped $7k on. I suppose my subtlety needs work...not enough sensitivity training on my part...[sarcasm]

Last edited:
not really, your specific point was he didn't do his homework because he didn't search this place. Mine was that this place is not a reference site for authoritative content or referenced as such by any vendor. Do a google search for 'who makes 6.5CM barrel for AI'. This place is not top of the list and I think the first link that comes here is a 'for sale' one.

Basically, the vendor/seller who sold him the rifle should have told him that AI don't make the barrel because it's not stock AI caliber. It's a simple heads up. Even Eurooptics doesn't list this fact and they're usually pretty good on details.

It's semantics, but that's what forum's are for... :)

The barrel will hammer. Send it to me and I'll print you some test targets if you want....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even Eurooptics doesn't list this fact and they're usually pretty good on details.

Those rifles listed on their site do have AINA barrels.

They do offer some of their own branded prefit barrels too. Like the AINA and MHSA barrels they're also Bartleins and are also made by a guy that definitely knows what he's doing.

Those rifles listed on their site do have AINA barrels.

They do offer some of their own branded prefit barrels too. Like the AINA and MHSA barrels they're also Bartleins and are also made by a guy that definitely knows what he's doing.

I'm sure they're lasers, it's more the 'provenance' of the set up which I think the OP was upset about. Anyway, I've not got the cash to splash on these set ups. But there is something to be said for the MC series. Going from 65CM to 338LM on the same rig... :)

not really, your specific point was he didn't do his homework because he didn't search this place. Mine was that this place is not a reference site for authoritative content or referenced as such by any vendor. Do a google search for 'who makes 6.5CM barrel for AI'. This place is not top of the list and I think the first link that comes here is a 'for sale' one.

Basically, the vendor/seller who sold him the rifle should have told him that AI don't make the barrel because it's not stock AI caliber. It's a simple heads up. Even Eurooptics doesn't list this fact and they're usually pretty good on details.

It's semantics, but that's what forum's are for... :)

I think you're missing the forest for the tree in the way. Smh...you just proved it yourself by "Do a google search for 'who makes 6.5CM barrel for AI' and the results it yielded, but, whatever. It sounds like you just want to debate/argue semantics...which was not my fucking point.

I'm sure they're lasers, it's more the 'provenance' of the set up which I think the OP was upset about. Anyway, I've not got the cash to splash on these set ups. But there is something to be said for the MC series. Going from 65CM to 338LM on the same rig... :)

I can understand why he would raise question with the MHSA markings if he was unfamiliar with AI's but the group to consult was MHSA where it came from and who's markings were on the barrel that caused the initial concern... not AI and certainly not an internet forum. Based on time stamp they were closed when the original post was made but were most likely open when he noticed the barrel at the FFL dealer it was sent to unless the dealer just has really late hours. A call should have been made to them then to inquire, or the next day if they were closed.

The AXMC is an badass machine, just like all the other AI's.

The only reason I have 4 LW 308 barrels for my AT are because they were cheap. If I could have gotten MHSA barrels for the same price I would have.

Guys,

I see a lot of people saying that AI is not delivering rifles in caliber other than 308/300/338 - this was true a few months ago, but is no longer the case. If you click on the link below and look at the sorting facets on the left side, you can see the NEW calibers that AINA is delivering - many of which we actually have available.

**LINK** - AI AX RIFLES IN NEW CALIBERS

Hope this helps,

Jason

​​​​​​​

Jason, one thing that was made abundantly clear to me is that AINA =/= AI England.

I have a Covert barrel/suppressor for my AIAE and foolishly thought it was endorsed/conceived by AI England. Tom told me that it had nothing to do with them and was solely the product of AINA

If AI England was selling rifles in calibers other than 308/300/338 then the barrels would have proof marks just like the LW barrel they came on my AIAT as required by law. No proof marks means they didn't come from AI England in that caliber rather they were converted when they arrived by putting a barrel on from Win Tactial (most likely).

That isn't a bad thing but it isn't the same as AI England selling an AX in 6.5CM in my opinion.

Unless of course you have pictures of a 6.5CM/260Rem barrel that has the proof marks that my LW 308 barrel has?

So does AI make their own barrels for the 308 rifles they sell in the UK? If so if you buy a AI in 308 here in the US would it come with that barrel or would it still come with a non AI marked barrel.

So does AI make their own barrels for the 308 rifles they sell in the UK? If so if you buy a AI in 308 here in the US would it come with that barrel or would it still come with a non AI marked barrel.

My AT came with a barrel marked “CIP N NP 6.5 Creedmoor LP 18”. Not really sure who made this.

My AX came with a barrel marked just “AI”. Pretty sure this is a Win Tactical.