• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AI

GorbashUK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Northern Ireland U.K.
I quite fancy another AI, and was wondering what are the real differences between the AE and the AWP. I know the AE only has 5 rd mags and no pict rail and isnt screwcut for a can or a brake but are the actions the same? will the AE shoot as well as a AWP? Is the AWP worth £1000 more than the AE?

Re: New AI

I've had both and the AE shot just as well as the AW. If you are not in combat and shooting paper and steel at the range..Save the money and buy the AE. You can get a nice scope and amo with the savings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had both and the AE shot just as well as the AW. If you are not in combat and shooting paper and steel at the range..Save the money and buy the AE. You can get a nice scope and amo with the savings. </div></div>

Thx Chris, the gun is for range use and tactical and fclass comps.

I hear what chrisj is saying but I went for the AW and love it.

My only comment would be that it looks like the AE is only available in .308 with either 20" or 24" barrels, Pic rail "off the shelf"....I guess it just depends what you want to add to the rifle.

That said, the AE may be more portable than my 26" Heavy barrelled AW!

Either way you'll have a great rifle.

Is the MKII AE as user friendly for switch barrels?

If I were going AI (I will be someday) I'd go all the way to AW for barrel interchangability.

My AE shooting 185 Bergers with RL15 shot as good as any 308 I have ever owned or fired...and that is dozens and dozens! It shot Hornady 110 Vmax's into 1 hole at 200 yards ..and that's 10 shots! It was actually boring since everything I put through it shot so damn well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AE shooting 185 Bergers with RL15 shot as good as any 308 I have ever owned or fired...and that is dozens and dozens! It shot Hornady 110 Vmax's into 1 hole at 200 yards ..and that's 10 shots! It was actually boring since everything I put through it shot so damn well. </div></div>

Thats what i like to hear before buying a AE lol

[/quote]

Thx Chris, the gun is for range use and tactical and fclass comps.[/quote]

FWIW, if you are planning on shooting fclass, one nice thing about the "old" AE's with the 5 round single-stack mags are that the interior length measures out at 2.975+" WITHOUT modification. So it has more than enough length to feed a lot of great bullets (like chrisj also pointed out) seated near the lands from the magazine. There's some nice advantages to the AE MKII's, but you'd have to alter the AICS mags to get the same ability. It'd be near impossible to go wrong with the AIAW, AE MKI, or AE MKII. But for the AE owners, I don't think you'll find one who will say that having the extra money to spend on good glass and more ammo was a mistake. With the AE & AW's, if you're in limbo of which one to get...you most likely will not be someone who REQUIRES the capabilities that the AW provides and will not be disappointed with the AE and a bunch of extra money to invest into improving as a shooter. Good luck with you're selection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ewen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Fuscalino,

you mention tactical matches, are there many held in Northern Ireland?

EWen </div></div>

That must be what the SAS sniper/recce sections call them!
grin.gif
LOL

Sorry couldn't resist that.

Cheers, Carl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ewen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Fuscalino,

you mention tactical matches, are there many held in Northern Ireland?

EWen </div></div>
The short answer is NO but if you throw enough shit on a wall eventually some of it will stick. We are looking at McQueens, running man and time exposure comps adapted to the modern tactical stuff and hopefully the classic tactical stuff too.

I remember making that same decision. seven AIAW rifles later I still think they just look cooler. I based my decision on how working the bolt felt. Do that on an AW and an AE and you will see. they are both great shooters. quick barrel change with the AW, i just drive 30 minutes to tac-pro, tell 'em i need a new barrel and 10 minutes later it's installed and ready to shoot. FWIW these rifles are very addicting---STAY AWAY!!!

I always have to hold my tongue when it comes to the AE because there's a lot of people who love them and shoot very well with them. So I'll keep it simple: I don't care much for them and think there are better options available for the price.

If you want a good rifle and get an AE you'll probably be happy.

If you want an AW and get an AE you'll never be satisfied.

In for a penny in for a pound.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always have to hold my tongue when it comes to the AE because there's a lot of people who love them and shoot very well with them. So I'll keep it simple: I don't care much for them and think there are better options available for the price.

If you want a good rifle and get an AE you'll probably be happy.

If you want an AW and get an AE you'll never be satisfied.

In for a penny in for a pound.
</div></div>

This is what i was worried about.

Hi Fuscalino,

I have an AE Mk1, it gets used for range & field work. It must shoot well as I have made it into representative F/TR teams twice with it in the last 2 years, it also won the club championship, & would have won the district championship except for the driver :) Still it managed second place. It is not as fussy or prissy as the dedicated target rifles that it competes against - & that suits me just fine. A couple of times a year it get bounces around on a quad bike during a hunting trip as well. My AE is a half moa rifle all the time. Thats regardless of season weather or terrain. Pity I cant hold it that well..... The zero is stable, there is no first round deviation if my NPA is good, & if I check the barrel log I think it is about 1350 rounds or so since I cleaned it. I am still waiting for the accuracy to fall off, I think I may be waiting for a while yet.

I have a mate that has an AWP - it shoots as well as the AE, or should I say the AE shoots as well as the AWP. If your eyes were closed you could not tell the difference in firing them.

Dont think that I am saying that the AE is better than an AW - they are different strokes for different folks. I have been so impressed with my AE Mk1 that I have a new AE Mk2 which should arrive any day now thanks to Graeme at Sporting Services.

For what it's worth - there it is. Let us know your outcome.