• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New and stupid mistake

ZombieLivesMatter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2018
Hi guys, a little background I've owned 10+ AR15s/AR10s the past few years but have decided to get in to Bolt Actions now. The Ruger Precision Rifle with it's similar AR15 ergonomics drew me in, also picked up a Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP and Atlas Bipod (along with the RPR which seems typical choice of newbie shooters like myself).
28wp1rm.jpg

So on to my really newbie and stupid question. With my ARs I always used a boresnake and that was it. With this bolt action I wanted to do it right so I bought a Tipton Max Force one-piece carbon fiber rod, brass jags, and a Possum bore guide. I had a ton of extra cloth and decided to cut my own patches, well I cut one too big and it got stuck pushing from the breech to muzzle. I tried using a coat hanger but couldn't get a good grip to pull the patch back out, so I pushed the cleaning rod from the muzzle side in towards the breech and was able to get the patch out. Now I'm worried I hurt the crown because of all the research I read saying it's a big no no going in from the muzzle without a muzzle guide. Did I eff it up or am I being paranoid? Thanks in advance for answering this dumb question.

Meh, shoot it and see. I doubt you did anything permanent. Don’t clean unless groups open up. Boresnake is fine after a session....

I’ve got em stuck before too. It does suck but I haven’t hurt one yet. Usually can pull the rod out and squirt more solvent down to the patch and get it to push on through. But I have had to push the rod through the muzzle to get it out as well. Slow and carefully I don’t think you would hurt it. I likely wouldn’t try or recommend the coat hanger lol.

you didnt hurt the crown doing this once, especially since you have a muzzle brake on it.......you damage crowns doing it over and over again for years.

youre fine.....shoot and enjoy.....also you dropped $1K on a new rifle, dont cheap out over $5 on cleaning patches.

You guys are awesome, thanks. I went really slow from the muzzle until I pushed out the patch. I've shot up to 400 yards with AR15/AR10/M1A the past few years, I'm excited to learn 1000+, thanks again guys.

Reactions: Bender
With some patches, it is advisable to use the next size smaller jag - or use the next smaller brush and wrap the patch on a brush. I haven’t stuck one since someone showed me that.

Did you damage the crown? Does it looked deformed some way. I pull my brake off regularly for cleaning and thats when I inspect my crown. Albeit I have a different gun/brake setup than the OP.

I'll be honest. 99% of the time I clean my rifles from muzzle to chamber. O NO, right. Not really.
I pull off my brake when cleaning and I am just careful not to screw up the crown. Am I doing it the internet way, who knows, but it works for me.
Hell, I even have steel push rods that are powder coated. They are slowly chipping, but if you are careful and not hell bent on getting it done you shouldn't hurt anything.