• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEW APA "RTG" trigger guard

Jered Joplin

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Some of you saw this at Shot but no doubt a lot of you weren't there. I should be rolling these out very shortly. I told everyone at Shot Show they would be ready in 60 days. The prototypes would not fit the M5 inlet intentionally however.......after countless requests and an obvious time delay I reworked the drawings and we are making chips once again. There will only be 100 in the first batch. If you would like to get on the list please shoot me a PM and I'll get you on the list.

IMG_5693copy.jpg

Here is a video link to how it works:
Video link

Here are the specs:

R.T.G (Redefined Trigger Guard)
7075 T651 aircraft grade Aluminum
Available for the short action 700 (long action is right behind it)
Anodized black
latch is built into the trigger guard so no more snags
supplied with 5 round original AI magazine
Latches can be modified to work with AW mags
Last but not least it's just sexy which should count for something.

$350

Currently they still need a few chips removed but we are getting there.
IMG_5755.jpg

Re: NEW APA "RTG" trigger guard

Just some extra information I had PM'd JBW#3 awhile back about the new MORTA mags and how they fit with this bottom metal. He said that the new magazines worked great with Jereds new bottom metal.

Jered, if you need a local beta tester, let me know. Ill be more than willing to test it for ya. Especially if you have one ready to go that I would use in the Creekside Firing Range sniper challenge on the 3rd of next month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's pretty slick, can't believe no one thought of it sooner. </div></div>

Somebody did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please enlighten me in a PM because I haven't seen it and would love to.
</div></div>

Could he be talking about how the mag release is integral to the trigger guard like the Walther P22 mag release is ?

I think it would be cool for someone to come out with a mag release that is in the grip area like the old S&W 41's and 42's where you just hit the release with your middle finger and never really had to change grip or anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please enlighten me in a PM because I haven't seen it and would love to.
</div></div>

PM sent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Could he be talking about how the mag release is integral to the trigger guard like the Walther P22 mag release is ?

</div></div>

Nope.

Grabing the Popcorn...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: On Any Sunday</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grabing the Popcorn...

</div></div>

No need to, Jered has seen my bottom metal through PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please enlighten me in a PM because I haven't seen it and would love to.
</div></div>

</div></div>

Nope.</div></div>

Yeah,..Remington has been doing it for decades, instead of releasing a floor plate, its releasing a mag....I get the impression that your arguing over barrowing a barrowed idea.

These work REALLY well guys. I had some doubts if it would really be as easy and reliable to operate as it looked but I was wrong. Operate it with your finger, your thumb, yank on the mag while operating one-handed, whatever. And the mags feed in quite nicely too.

That is a nice evolution for the trigger release. I think the Surgeon "box" around the magazine should be incorporated too.
smile.gif

While I have no complaints about the Surgeon and think it's a nice product I feel that it's just as simple to load the mag without all the extra below the stock line. Very few bolt guys actually practice mag changes. If you hit the mag well with the front of the mag angled up and then roll it in you'll find it's easy to load almost any of them that way. For that reason I chose not to incorporate that. For those that want it I would encourage them to purchase one from Preston or Terry. I really just wanted a different cosmetic appeal at the end of the day. Everyone has their own idea of what they think "good" is and this is mine.

By the way they are coming along well.................
IMG_5834.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I have no complaints about the Surgeon and think it's a nice product I feel that it's just as simple to load the mag without all the extra below the stock line. Very few bolt guys actually practice mag changes. If you hit the mag well with the front of the mag angled up and then roll it in you'll find it's easy to load almost any of them that way. For that reason I chose not to incorporate that.

For those that want it I would encourage them to purchase one from Preston or Terry. </div></div>

I want to step in for just a second and make sure nobody wastes their time contacting me for the Surgeon DBM system. While I do use the Surgeon DBM on any of my builds that use stocks with conventional bottom contours, I do not stock them for re-sale. Surgeon or Brownells would be your direct source.

Also, the Surgeon DBM should not be confused with the KMW DBM. My own DBM system was designed from the ground up about 5 years ago to work with the SENTINEL and M.A.C.S. stocks and <span style="text-decoration: underline">will not</span> work with standard stocks from McMillan, Manners, etc. I designed the stocks and the DBM mag well with a long Z-axis. This was not to facilitate mag changes although it does that very well, but rather to get as much vertical support as possible to the magazine without having to get too tight a fit on the magazine to DBM and give some protection to the standard 5rd AICS magazine when in position.

I had already found that DBMs with short Z-axis mag support either have tight fit between the mag and mag well or it will have a lot of rattle with the mag in place. I didn't want to have either and I thought the best way to accomodate AICS type mags was to offer a medium clearance and lots of control surface to position the magazine. I am sure Jared solved these issues with design aspects of his own via a different route.

Pritchett Machine produces the KMW DBM for me and carries over a couple of the design aspects to their own Surgeon product. Besides the mag latch, they decided to put keep some of the vertical structure in their own for the same reasons I did.

The APA DBMs look awesome and I am sure they will find their own niche in the market. I am also sure that Jared solved the same issues we faced with his own design approach. Good job and best of luck with your project.

Terry

We made all the new dimensional changes to latch etc. I proofed 4 last night. We are going to start running the large batch next week and will be able to start shipping right away. If you are one of the first on the list you will receive yours a little early.

Yes the LA will fit the Badger inlet when we do it. The entire time delay started when I set out to be different. I had intended for it to be different but everyone asked for it to fit the Badger inlet. So we changed it.

I have plans to do the LA but honestly it's not on the board at the moment. I have to get through the SA first. Then I have to make bases for our actions that we haven't officially released yet.
wink.gif
When I do it you guys will be the first to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Then I have to make bases for our actions that we haven't officially released yet.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Tease....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the LA will fit the Badger inlet when we do it. The entire time delay started when I set out to be different. I had intended for it to be different but everyone asked for it to fit the Badger inlet. So we changed it.

I have plans to do the LA but honestly it's not on the board at the moment. I have to get through the SA first. Then I have to make bases for our actions that we haven't officially released yet.
wink.gif
</div></div>

cool, lemme know if you need a guinea pig. I've got a .300 win mag here in parts that I need to assemble and I want to use a DBM on this one.

Jered, if you need a beta tester Im more than willing to test for ya. Mr K can vouch for me.

I just finished proofing the 3rd and 4th operations. I will be able to start shipping tommorrow. I won't have the packaging sorted out for a week or so but I'm guessing you guys could care less about the box it shows up in for now.

It will come with pillars and hex head screws.

Any one got any pics yet?