• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New app from Kestrel "Kestrel companion mobile "

Christopher Rance

CR2 Shooting Solutions
Minuteman
​​Contact: Meg Keating
[email protected]

nVisti, LLC ? Kestrel Companion

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Applied Ballistics Announces New Kestrel Companion Mobile App

New Application Allows for Remote Viewing and Control over Bluetooth for your Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics

Cedar Springs, MI – July 3, 2014 - Applied Ballistics, LLC is excited to announce through their existing partnership with Nielsen-Kellerman (NK), creators and manufacturers of Kestrel® Weather & Environmental Meters, the release of the Kestrel Companion; an Android mobile application to complement your Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics for remote viewing of shooting solutions.

Developed by Applied Ballistics’ partner company, nVisti, the Kestrel Companion app allows shooters to mount their Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics onto a rotating vane mount, update the range to target, and view the solution right on their mobile device – all without touching the Kestrel device itself.

With the updated Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics firmware version 4.83, the company’s developers added remote-control capability over the Bluetooth® link; allowing for the range-to-target to be entered into the Kestrel Companion app and sent directly to the Kestrel device. The Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter instantly computes the shooting solution and sends it back to the Kestrel Companion app – displaying it for easy viewing.

“This new mobile app was developed to provide our customers with a more user-friendly solution to their ballistics computing,” stated President of Applied Ballistics, Bryan Litz. “In today’s world of marketing hype and movie magic, we continue to explore long-range shooting using the scientific method; and our long-standing relationship with Nielsen-Kellerman allows us to put that method into the hands of our customers in an easy-to-use device.”

The Kestrel Companion app maximizes the capability of your Shooter’s Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics by allowing it to directly measure the wind speed and direction, all while allowing for easy viewing of your shooting solution. The large display on your mobile device or tablet allows for a quick view of the elevation and windage holds, in addition to the current weather conditions and gun parameters. By placing the Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics in wind-capture mode, your shooting solution will automatically update on the display with the measured wind values and wind direction.

"In our upcoming book, Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting, readers are able to learn about several of the experiments that we have been performing with our Wind Sensor Array,” stated President of nVisti, Nick Vitalbo. “One of the key observations is that even at extreme long range, nearly a 30% probability of hitting your target can be achieved by measuring the wind at your shooting location - as compared to less than 3% otherwise - a 10x improvement. By placing the Kestrel with Applied Ballistics in a vane mount where it can freely rotate into the wind and calculate the windage hold, you can achieve a very accurate, real-time shooting solution based upon your local conditions. We created the Kestrel Companion app to allow the shooter to update the range to target and view the current elevation and windage holds based upon the actual wind speeds at the shooting location."
Available now on the Google Play App Store, the app will cost $5.99 and run on Android phone and tablet devices with the updated Kestrel Shooter's Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics firmware version 4.83.

About Applied Ballistics, LLC
Applied Ballistics’ mission is to be the complete and unbiased source of external ballistics information for long- range shooters. We’re highly active in R&D, constantly testing new claims, products and ideas for potential merit and dispensing with the marketing hype, which can make it so difficult for shooters to master the challenging discipline of long range shooting. We believe in the scientific method and promote mastery through understanding of the fundamentals. Our work is passed on to the shooting community in the form of instructional materials, which are easy to understand, and products such as ballistic software which runs on many platforms. If you’re a long range shooter who’s eager to learn about the science of your craft, we’re here for you.

About Nielsen-Kellerman Co.
All Kestrel Ballistics Weather Meters are small, lightweight, extremely rugged and easy-to-use. They are not only built to military standards, but have proven their reliability over years in the field. Every Kestrel meter is designed, developed, built, tested and supported in the USA.

###

Wait, so they have an app that communicates with the Kestrel while say sitting on a rotating vane mount and lets the Kestrel calculate and sends the solution back to the users app display device? So what would be the difference between this and using the AB/Shooter app to talk to the Kestrel via bluetooth pulling environment data back into AB/Shooter? I mean I would think that the app calculating locally on the end user display device vs on the Kestrel would be more efficient anyhow and flexible... Then again I guess its just one more choice / layer of flexibility for the end user...

-pd

Wait, so they have an app that communicates with the Kestrel while say sitting on a rotating vane mount and lets the Kestrel calculate and sends the solution back to the users app display device? So what would be the difference between this and using the AB/Shooter app to talk to the Kestrel via bluetooth pulling environment data back into AB/Shooter? I mean I would think that the app calculating locally on the end user display device vs on the Kestrel would be more efficient anyhow and flexible... Then again I guess its just one more choice / layer of flexibility for the end user...

-pd

One more choice and layer of flexibility is correct... One huge and important thing those is all of the back end modification on the actual device now that allows things to connect in, get data, set parameters... hint hint.... not phones.

Having first hand used this application in the field, I can tell you its fast, and its accurate. This is a great app, its easy to use. Since it does use the built in software, you have access to all the custom curves via the boot loader. To see photos of it check out here

Edit for more detail: Uses the profile selected on the Kestrel, so the profile loader software, which you get when you purchase the kestrel is a huge benefit here. Comes with all the custom curves and its part of what you get when you bought your AB Kestrel. Its extremely fast, and allows for set and forget use of the kestrel. I really hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did. As far as speed goes, its about 3 seconds to get your corrections once you enter your range. Which is easily done.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...istics-kestrel;-pro-staff-support-thread.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ab.kestrelcompanion&hl=en

Last edited:
Kestrel Companion App:

This is a look at the new Kestrel Companion App. What that is, is an extremely streamlined new version of Applied Ballistic Software. It’s called Kestrel Companion. It’s actually really neat. I will include a couple screen shots for you guys. You can find it in the Google Play store for 4.99$. What it does, is it looks at the current weapon profile you have loaded on the Kestrel AB Model. It then gives you four options to adjust range (more options will be coming in the future I can’t talk about yet). I will talk about those later with included photos. After about 3 seconds it posts the windage and elevation adjustments for that weapon profile. Something to note here, it gives you real time data for weather as you will see, it also gives you some of the weapon and profile data on screen. It is Bluetooth linked in to the kestrel, it is one screen, and requires you to have a weapons profile on the already kestrel. This is easy to accomplish with a number of different options I will talk about later. That update allows you to upload a weapons profile from the AB Tactical software. So if you are in the field, and you need to make rapid adjustments you make those changes. With the push of one button it uploads the new data, and you’re good to go. I will upload a screen shot showing the new feature you will see it says “BTW this is another good reason to have the weather vane mount.”

On that note of the weather vane mount. The best way to use this software is to take a temp reading then lock it in. To do this swing the kestrel on the cord a couple of times, then take the temp and but put it on constant temp reading. The only thing you should have going constant is wind, which is easily accomplished. Once you have the Kestrel AB up and running, scroll to the wind, and push the camera button. This will put the wind in constant capture mode. With the kestrel sitting in the open sun, you can get unwanted radiation and direct heating giving you a bad temp reading. So its best to shut this off (I learned the hard way even after it being suggested to me). The weather data is shown on the bottom of the Companion App as well as limited profile information such as the muzzle velocity, BC, Rate of Twist, and other things you profiled in. I was fortunate enough to test this software more than once in the field and at different ranges around the country. I was able to get a first shot hit at 800 yards and beyond with a profile that quickly set up, with most of the information being gathered in a completely different state. Also with different bullets, and different weapons. The update from the time you give it the range, until the time it gives you a feedback is 3 seconds or less.

Key things to remember. Kestrel Companion uses the profile loaded on the Kestrel. It requires a Bluetooth model with AB software on the kestrel. Any changes made on the Kestrel show up on the app, and vice versa almost instantly. This does require that a weapon and bullet profile already be made. As I have said before you have options. 1. do this by hand in the kestrel. 2. do this on PC and upload it (with Bluetooth version or pc cable). 3. A new option you received with the latest firmware update is the AB Tactical version allows you to build your profile, calibrate your own ballistics, and then upload profile to the kestrel. You can then use the Kestrel Companion as a simplified quick shot, or use the AB Tactical. Think of the companion as a mirror of the kestrel screen on your phone. Anything you do on the kestrel instantly goes to the app, and anything you do on the app instantly updates on the kestrel. The only thing you do on the Kestrel Companion is tell it your target range, and everything else updates automatically. It uses the weapon profile you currently have selected on the kestrel. Here are the screen shots.

What you see before you connect:
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_40_50.png

Enter your range in 1 of 4 ways. On the Kestrel itself, Using the Slider, Enter the Number with keypad, Or use Arrows.
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_52_53.png
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_53_11.png
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_53_35.png
Screenshot_2014_05_22_10_53_51.png

When using the BootLoader to update the Firmware, or when using the Profile Loader you are going to be asked to select a com port. In response to a number of emails I am going to show you how to find this comport for your AB Kestrel with Bluetooth. Its very very easy. This is in response to a couple of people who have had issues connecting to update firmware or upload a weapons profile. It worked for them, so hopefully it will help others too!

Step 1: In the search bar for the start menu simply type Bluetooth.
Step 2: Double Click view devices and printers.

BT1.png

Step3: Double click on your kestrel (it should read K4### Indicating model number. So a 4500 will say K4500)

BT2.png

Step4: Once you are in the devices properties its going to have a hardware tab. Click it

BT3.png

Step5: You will see the ComPort in the description it will say (Com 4) or (Com5)

BT4.png

If you ever have trouble with the bootloader, or profile loader, and it seems like its not communicating properly or wont connect this could be the culprit. So make sure you have the correct comport when you are connecting to your kestrel.

I don't have an android platform, but wanted to ask if you can set up Target A,B,C etc. With different DOF in them and distances?

I know Doc hit you up here already, but that's a feature that I will probably add as time goes on here - still figuring out how I want to do it. Right now, I can control the individual targets on the Kestrel as well as just hold them locally on the Android app, so I'm thinking about how to best do that.

-Nick

Hey guys - we posted a new article this morning... It's a must read for any long range shooters.

Summary: The question about where the wind matters the most is one that is extremely common and one that we’ve received dozens of times. Having studied the wind for a number of years, we’ve compiled this article. It is intended to investigate how the wind’s influence increases with distance, as well as exploring how wind affects the bullet as it moves from the shooter toward the target.

Link: nVisti, LLC ? Articles