• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AR. Colt, RRA, PSA, or build

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
This will be my first personal AR, but being military not new to them. I'm not sure if I should just buy a complete one from Colt, Rock River Arms, Palmetto State Armory, or if I should just build one. I know the Colt is the most expensive, but there is something that appeals to me about owning a Colt firearm. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. So if you have any thoughts or expierence with one of the above mentioned companies, some feedback would be great. Thank you.

Re: New AR. Colt, RRA, PSA, or build

I would say get the Colt if that is already your leaning (or consider LMT or BCM, similar quality, same price). $1000 is a great price for any of those.

You can usually build for less, but if those are in the configuration you like, I would buy complete.

I really do like the Colt, not really sure why I just do, maybe because it's a Colt and it's a name thing, sorta like why drive a tahoe when you can drive an escalade, same thing just different price points.

I was also looking at the Palmetto State Armory site last night and they have a nice looking one with Vortex Firestrick scope, rear Magpul rear BUS and a couple other features for only $800, haven't heard to many bad things about them, I know it's not a Colt but for the price difference might
be worth a try, not to mention these guys are only located 2 hours from my wifes hometown, so I'd be supporting local boys.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...um-carbine.html

Colt is one of the best AR makers. They take all the extra QC steps like using the proper materials, staking gas keys, staking the rec ext, mpi, hpt, etc. It also holds its value better than the others. The only other brands I'd consider are BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, Noveske, or LaRue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colt is one of the best AR makers. They take all the extra QC steps like using the proper materials, staking gas keys, staking the rec ext, mpi, hpt, etc. It also holds its value better than the others. The only other brands I'd consider are BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, Noveske, or LaRue. </div></div>

+1 Colt is a lot more affordable than they used to be

Can't go wrong with a RR. Got one in a preditor and it shoots lights out

Get a Colt, and never look back. There is a good reason that all the others are compared to the 6920. Colt and FN, which you can't get the Fn as a civilian are the only true Mil- Spec AR's. When you are going to drop the cash, get a Colt Defense instead of the Colt Manufacturing. The QC is unreal. You will be a happy camper, good luck. JPG

Thanks for the input guys, I think I will probably wait the xtra month or two and get the Colt, I found one with a Magpul package so I will probaby go that that route then add a Vortex and XLR 250 and be done.

This is going to be primarly a hog/coyote slayer, with the occasional appearence at the service weapon shoots at my range once every other month.

Thanks again for the input guys.

you looking for .223?? if so, RRA ATH carbine with cryo treated 1:8 twist (can shoot the heavies) 18" stainless steel heavy match grade barrel for <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">$1109 with free shipping </span></span></span>from kentucky gun company (in stock right now!! see link below)... RRA states 3/4" accuracy guarantee, but IMO it is really up to the shooter rather than the guarantee, with limited lifetime warranty.... I can see this rifle being a real shooter if you put the right glass and mount on it. 7.7 pounds on the rifle which isn't that bad for a 18" heavy stainless barrel. Where I purchased my LMT and they have really fast shipping and great service. So far i've owned 2 RRA's and they have both been awesome and really accurate:

http://www.kygunco.com/rock-river-arms-ath-carbine-556223-44113

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=526

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: murtaughf3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for the input guys, I think I will probably wait the xtra month or two and get the Colt, I found one with a Magpul package so I will probaby go that that route then add a Vortex and XLR 250 and be done.

This is going to be primarly a hog/coyote slayer, with the occasional appearence at the service weapon shoots at my range once every other month.

Thanks again for the input guys.

</div></div>

You have already answered the question, but you need to consider the intended purpose. AR's are extremely versatile and can perform well in many different roles. You can build one like a cresent wrench that can do multiple jobs or you can build it for a specific purpose. Just remember, the cresent wrench is a jack of all trades but master of none.

From what you have already listed I'd look for a quality 16" barrel, mid-length gas carbine with a 1-4x type optic. This weapon can perform many duties. Brands I would personally consider are Noveske, BCM, Larue, Colt, LMT, and Daniel Defense.

Cant go wrong with an RRA!

If you are keeping it and plan on passing it down then get the Colt, otherwise any of the others if you think you might sell it some day.

It has nothing to do with resale value - Just my 2 cents.

BB

I've got two Rock Rivers, one 5.56 and one .308 and both shoot great and have gone bang every time with no problems. If I wanted/needed a third AR, It would be RRA!