• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AR, new load work up. Any guesses on groups?

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    I loaded up four test loads, between 23.8gr and 24.4gr of varget, in 1x fired LC 12 brass, with 77gr SMKs. I put the gun together myself... Mega lower/upper, mil spec bcg, krieger 20" SS barrel, RRA trigger, etc.

Any guesses at to what load will work the best, and what group sizes I'll see at 200?

I'm breaking it in with some 69gr smk's I had loaded up from last year, though the barrel shouldn't take much breaking in...

RRA varmint "20 barrel
    77 SMK
    Fgmm primers
    Varget
    LC brass
    I found 23.4 was a good load at about 2750. I also had an identical grouping load at 24.9 and 2850 fps but it seemed pretty rough on gun although I had no pressure signs. Groups about 1.25-1.5 at 200 yads.
    Just my experience.
    Good luck

1.4" @200 with 24.5 varget under 77 smk
    No break in needed

I had one group that printed .7 moa, and it was with 24.4gr varget / 77 smk. The rest were in the .9-1 moa range. Not really excited about that.

Last edited:
    Wow... I just remembered I had not torqued the barrel nut, so I pulled the handguard off and torqued it down. It was only at 15 ft-lbs. =/

Torqued it down to 80 ft-lbs, loaded up some three 4 shot test loads with 2000mr / 77gr smk. MUCH better results.

25.6gr: .10 moa
    25.9gr: .41 moa
    26.2gr: .60 moa

Pics of the groups to come later tonight.

Elfster, if you are reading this, I will be entering your competition now lol.

That's more like it! I have the same setup and it liked 24 grains of R15 the best with the 77 grainer. It was always .5 MOA or better.

Nice group sizes. Did you shoot those groups @ 200 yards... with irons or optics?

Is this going to be an across-the-course gun lte82 (I see your NRA HP Master signature). If so, then any load that shoots 1MOA (or less) will more than suffice to shoot a clean score.

I used Varget for a number of years and recently switched to AR-COMP. Great velocity, but dirty.

Nice group sizes. Did you shoot those groups @ 200 yards... with irons or optics?

Is this going to be an across-the-course gun lte82 (I see your NRA HP Master signature). If so, then any load that shoots 1MOA (or less) will more than suffice to shoot a clean score.

I used Varget for a number of years and recently switched to AR-COMP. Great velocity, but dirty.

I shot those at 100yd. Prone off of a bipod w/ a scope. I have an identical barrel going in my service rifle in the next 6 months or so, this is just a "for fun" gun I built.

Ar comp ive heard is as dirty as 748... true I guess?

Torqued it down to 80 ft-lbs, loaded up some three 4 shot test loads with 2000mr / 77gr smk. MUCH better results.

25.6gr: .10 moa
    25.9gr: .41 moa
    26.2gr: .60 moa

Pics of the groups to come later tonight.

Elfster, if you are reading this, I will be entering your competition now lol.

I read your first post where you said you were using Varget, then I read the charge weights in this one and was wondering how the hell you were able to pack that much Varget in a case. Then I noticed the 2000MR, and I felt like a dumbass for not reading the entire post.

Yeah, AR-COMP is pretty dirty. I can't let the rifle go long in between cleanings as I could with Varget.

I'm running 22.4gr AR-COMP/Sierra 77gr/CCI450/LC brass. That load chrono's around 2650 fps and I was able to get .8MOA group @ 200yd through my tired ol' Criterion rifle barrel.

I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

Yeah, AR-COMP is pretty dirty. I can't let the rifle go long in between cleanings as I could with Varget.

I'm running 22.4gr AR-COMP/Sierra 77gr/CCI450/LC brass. That load chrono's around 2650 fps and I was able to get .8MOA group @ 200yd through my tired ol' Criterion rifle barrel.

I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

I may do that... A local shooter swears by it for his match loads as well.