• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AR upper. Build or buy

mercracing

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    Hey guys, I am kicking around the idea of a .260 or 6.5CM upper. I would LIKE this to be modest in price but accurate as I can afford. Is it easier to just find an AR10/LR308 upper and swap the barrel and bolt? Should I just buy the upper stripped and build it as I see fit? In my mind building it seems better. I can buy the exact parts I want, when I can afford them or I find a good deal. Just curious what others thoughts are that have done something like this. Thanks for the help!

Two questions budget and intended /accuracy required. Likely though buying a whole bee upper just to swap almost the entire thing won't make a whole lot of sense. Aside from the barrel and bolt the upper will be unlikely to cost more than a few hundred bucks.

As far as a budget, I'm not real sure. I don't know how much parts totals will be. I would like to get a bartlin, kreiger, lija etc barrel. Other then that I'm not sure. As far as accuracy goes I'm sure it will be more accurate then I am. I would like it to be super accurate, but I'm not looking to build a 2k dollar upper.