• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing New ar15 short stroking

JohnLaw

Private
Minuteman
I just finished my first ground up ar build. All parts are Rock River except a 16'' Daniel Defense barrel and Daniel Defense M4 free float rail. The first couple of rounds I chambered jammed the bolt closed. I had to do the buttstock slam on the ground to get them out. I recleaned and lubed everything, that problem seemed to go away. Tried firing a few rounds and the rifle apears to be short stroking. I tore the gas system down and reassembled everything being careful to line everything up. I checked the gas key, gas rings, aeverything seems fine and should be, all brand new parts. The only thing I have not tried is switching ammo and mag. I was using a good qaulity mag and don't think that is an issue. This is starting to be not so fun.

Re: New ar15 short stroking

What ammo are you shooting?
When you say you tore down the gas system and reassembled everythign being careful to line everything up, did you check the gas tube and the position of the gas block in relation to the gas port in your barrel? Gotta ask because it wasn't mentioned.

My suggestion, get some known good factory ammo and run the gun with a few different mags. Try loading one round first and seeing if the bolt locks back after ejecting the round. Now, the bolt catch can catch the carrier instead of the bolt so you need to make sure that its completely locking to the rear.
If it is still short stroking, time to take the gas block off to make sure you have a clear gas port and that the gas tube is correctly aligned with it. I suspect there would be some indication that this was the issue, maybe some signs of gas escaping there.

I was using ammo (unkown surplus) that worked fine in my last rifle. When I tore down the gas system I checked and it did not appear to be any gas escaping.Judging by the powder burns on the gas port the gas block wasn't exactly centerd, fixed that. Starting to wonder if it is a recoil spring/ buffer issue. Magpul ctr stock, tube, spring and buffer. I have to stop and get some ammo, and I have a couple of Pmags waiting for me when I get to work tonight.

I did try one round and the bolt carrier did not lock back. It gets stuck about half way back like something is binding it open. When I pull out the bolt carrier I don't see any unusual signs of wear/ binding and it seems to be moving freely when intaled.

Wondering if I instaled the hammer spring incorectly and its causing extra tension?

Maybee I tweaked the upper receiver when installing the barrel just enough that I can't see it but its causing an issue.

The one plus i like so far, I put a Smith Vortex on, I let one go after dark and that thing is sweet.

two things.

make certain the gas tube on the bolt carrier is staked

make certain the buffer tube has a way to exhaust the air pressure at the rear...that means the screw holding the stock at the end of the tube got a HOLE in the screw.

Make absolutely sure that your gas tube is properly aligned so that the gas key on the bolt carrier is not dragging on it.

Also, some shooters lube the buffer spring in an attempt to quiet the "sproing" noise. Too much grease on this spring will also cause short-stroking. A little grease goes a long way here.

1- Make sure the bolt carrier group is well lubed, new parts need a few cycles to wear in. Cycle the action by hand a few times to verify that there are no issues with binding. Check that the gas key is tight on the bolt carrier.
2- Shoot the gun with good factory to eliminate the "unknown surplus" ammo variabilty. Many commercial guns have extra large gas ports to run reliably with weak commercial ammo. So just because this ammo worked before, it doesn't mean that it will work in a gun with the "correct" size gas port.
3- Remove the gas block and check the gas port size. You can use drill bits and calipers. Mil spec size is .063" The gas hole in the gas block is a bit larger then gas port, so any carefully eyeballed alignment job will provide full gas flow. You can also check that there is a good gas flow path back to the carrier.

much as I love snipers hide, the best AR info is at http://m4carbine.net

Based on what you said in the begining, and checking the gas system, I'll bet your chamber is on the tight side, as long as Wolf wasn't the ammo used, you shouldn't have to jam rounds in.

The more I am reading I am starting to wonder that also. It doesn't seem to be lodging rounds anymore, they never went in hard just wouldn't come out. I checked and double checked the barrel before I bought it. Daniel Defense M4 profile chrome lined 1/7. Brownels was selling them for $169.00. I called Daniel Defense to double check and make sure it was their barrel, they said yes and couldn't believe the price Brownels had them listed for. I thought it was a safe bet to be a quality barrel.

If You have a 2nd known good rifle You can try swapping the upper and lower halves to isolate the problem to the upper or lower.
It sounds like a tight chamber issue to me also though .
Could be a miss drilled , undersized , gas port also . Doesn't happen often but have heard of it more than once .
If the gas tube is not setting into the upper receiver and dragging on the gas key it can cause problems also .
I would think if the buffer tube wasn't lined up properly the bolt wouldn't cycle properly with or with out ammo in it .
Whether You have the wrong length buffer should be easy to tell as the rifle buffer is about an inch longer than the carbine buffer.
The recoil springs are different lengths also and I don't remember the difference of the top of my head .

My money is on tight chamber. Buffer/Spring issue wouldn't cause cause round to stick in chamber.
Send the upper to someone who knows their AR stuff, may just need a turn or two deeper with a reamer.

Did you use go/no go guages to check headspace when you assmebled it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Learned the hard way about two prong barrel nut wrenchs! Pretty much trashed the barrel nut. Ordered a 3 prong wrench!</div></div>

FYI: The best is a dedicated PRI 5 Lug tool. 21.00 the last one you wi;ll ever need.

use of rubber tubing app.1/8''dia 2 feet long and compressed air connect to gas tube with needle nose pliers in back of gas tube in the upper ,hit the air on -you should hear air coming out ,if not gas post to gas block is not lined up or a partly lined up.. one or other is happening .

Update.

Thanks everyone for the info. It was all helpful. I adjusted the barrel nut just enough to make sure the gas tube was properly aligned. I then reset the gas block again. I sprayed down the gas system and chamber with CLP and then used air to blow everything out. I loaded up some different mags with good quality ammo and proceeded to fire. still short stroking. Rechecked gas block. put some more ammo through. Started to feed but not lock open on an empty mag. I checked around the gas block and could see clp/residue coming out between the barrel and block. Fed more ammo. Started to run flawlessly! I think some gas was excaping from the gas block and it eventuly sealed up. It is now even eating the dreaded Wolf ammo! Decided to return the Luepold CQ/T, put on a vortex strikeforce until I can decide / afford either a SB Short dot, or NF nxs 1-4. thanks everbody. Good Luck1

I had some residue on my gas tube where it goes into hte upper receiver recently, finally got my hand grips off my AR - so this has been a helpful post - I may go re-examine mine after shooting next time...

Next thing, put a 30 rd mag in and point downrange and fire it as fast as humanly possible....LOL, that'll get some break-in going for you....

With the gas block on the last DD barrel upper I assembled, the dimple for the gas block setscrew wasn't big enough for the screw tip to grab. I used the drillpress to slightly enlarge the setscrew dimple and then aligned the setscrew hole with the dimple. Put in the setscrews with some Loctite and it was good to go.

-matt

Every now and then a bur will remain from after the gas hole was drilled. That can also cause the type ofproblem you are listed.