• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos New ARP paint job on friend's varmint rifle

Kiba

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2011
Central CA
A good friend and I do a *lot* of ground squirrel control for local ranchers and orchard owners and at least once a year we take a trip up to Alturas for a week of high volume blasting.

About a month ago he wanted to give his long range squirrel rifle a cosmetic makeover and was thinking of doing 3 color GAP camo on the stock; I proposed an idea for "SquirrelCam" and sent the stock and some example images off to ARP.

The result is as you see here... awesome!

As soon as my friend receives his new CZ 455 Precision Trainer the Manners T4 stock is going off to ARP for the same paint job.
grin.gif

Re: New ARP paint job on friend's varmint rifle

Now that is different, in a good way!
cool.gif

Regards,Paul

They should have bushier tales. Kinda look like cats on the stock. Still pretty neat though!

Will make the tails a bit "bushier" on the next ones if the owner wants. I ain't sure I have ever seen a ground squirrel other than the pictures I got and in a magazine I get. Most of the ones that I see in the magazine from the Varmint Hunters Association are in a somewhat mangled state after getting smacked by a high speed cartwheel inducing projectile.

Cats, rats or squirrels ... keep on blasting, my friends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They should have bushier tales. Kinda look like cats on the stock. Still pretty neat though! </div></div>

Here's a couple pictures of a typical ground squirrel we have here in the central valley:

http://petej.com/blog/wp-content/images/ground-squirrel-800.jpg

http://www.clhs-chawks.org/loc_web/animals/mammals/images/california_ground_squirrel.jpg

Our ground squirrels here have somewhat thin tails that look almost mangy at times especially in mid to late summer. My friend wanted silhouettes of ground squirrels on the stock since that's what this gun was built to eliminate.
smile.gif

We have tree squirrels too-- those guys have very bushy tails and look more like a "typical" squirrel. When we go up to Alturas in the northeast corner of the state which is at a higher altitude they have Belding's squirrels; they only have stubby tails (1-3" at most) and the average body size is only about 60-70% of the size of the ground squirrels here in the central valley.

I'd have to check our book but I think we're sitting somewhere in the 2800 range for total kills just this year in the local ranches & orchards. They really do a number on fencelines, drip irrigation lines, and it's amazing how much of a walnut crop a big colony of these little guys can pack away. Above and beyond those, we also got ~900 during our 3 day trip up to Alturas back in April. Small, moving, reactive targets are entertaining.
grin.gif

The .17HMR's get most of the work out to 150Y but beyond that the bigger guns (including this one in .22-250) come out to play.
smile.gif

One of the benefits of helping the local ranchers out is getting more places to shoot; one orchard about 10 miles from the house has a 1400Y long road between two blocks of trees. When the season is over we drag the AR500 targets up there and have fun.