• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New AT finally arrived and a little confused.

Teddy

Minuteman
Jan 19, 2014
Orlando Fl
Forgive the potential topic repost.....So I finally get my AT home and I'm looking it over, very impressive and I agree the thing is built like a tank. I roll her over and on the barrel is stamped 7.62 x51mm which left me confused since all the markings on the outside of the packaging etc state 308win; which is what I expected to see on the barrel. Am I to assume that I can only use NATO rounds since there is potential to damage the weapon if I use .308 rounds? With the manual stating the caliber is .308/7.62 and round selection being counter intuitive to the AR platform which I'm used to, any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Teddy

As I recall, this all sparked from a Copper Units of Pressure (CUP) vs. PSI issue. 50,000 CUP is not equal to 50,000 PSI, and there is no direct conversion factor... but that's a can of worms...

Long story short, whatever difference may exist (IF one does at all) isn't worth worrying about. Semi-auto or otherwise.

Thanks for the info guys. My concern was the pressure issue stated above. I didn't want to ruin my new toy! Today I should be able to mount my S&B and tripod and get to the range sometime this weekend.

There is only a VERY small difference in the shoulder between 7.62x51 and .308. My SSG-04 doesn't chamber the 7.62X51 as easy as .308. I called Steyr and they said it a small difference in how the chamber is milled. My AI doesn't care chambers both without issue.