• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New ATV recommendation

Brazo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2018
Verona, NJ
What do you guys like for a new ATV these days? Looking for something no less than 400 cc

Uses would be pulling a small buggy full of firewood / gravel, hauling game, and my ass up the mountain with another rider at times.

No racing or obstacle climbing needed lol thank you all, I appreciate it.

Have only owned a Yamaha Grizzly 400 with push button 4wd, did a decent job fitting my needs but nothing to compare it to so open to anything. Must admit not too versed in this arena.

Budget is as high as 10k if necessary. Very interested to hear your recommendations, thank you

I’ve got a Polaris sportsman 850 that has never done me wrong. That said, I’m going to look real hard at canam for my next one...

Reactions: Soulezoo
Hard to go wrong with a Honda. Mine continues to take everything I throw at it and every time I hit the start button she doesn’t disappoint. Fuel injected and sips gas. That said, Polaris has also been playing this game a long time and makes a good machine.

Reactions: riverside jeep
Unless you want to do constant maintenance, buy a Japanese machine. I’m partial to Yamaha. I went the Polaris route a couple times and I’m back to Yamaha.

10k will get you into a hunting/trail sxs if you shop around. Once you get a sxs, you’ll forget a 4 wheeler. You picked a bad time of year to find a deal though.

Nvm...... a quick search found this.

Good machine with upgraded suspension and eps. Tops out about 50-52 mph. Good on trails with long belt life.

Last edited:
I've had a Polaris Sportsman 570 for 5 years now and am very happy with it. Gets used daily here on the farm pulling/hauling probably more than it should. Taken it to Montana 3 times for bear hunts. Its alot of machine for the $.

Honda or Kawasaki
Have only owned a Yamaha Grizzly 400 with push button 4wd, did a decent job fitting my needs but nothing to compare it to so open to anything. Must admit not too versed in this arena.

Budget is as high as 10k if necessary. Very interested to hear your recommendations, thank you

You should be able to get a 2019 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 for way less than that, might even find a left over 2018. I'd stay with Honda or Kawasaki..

That BF will rip your mouth off, its a beast.

I agree the Japanese machines are really the only way to go. Currently on the place, we have 2 Hondas, 1 Kawasaki, and 1 Suzuki. They all pretty much get the job done. Couple of things to consider, if you get a Honda make sure it has a spin on oil filter, some of the older ones you had to take the skid plate off (first thing to get bent, and not want to go back on), and used a proprietary filter=PIA. Also, the Honda transmission requires a certain voltage from the battery or it won't shift. Other than that they are good machines. In the past we tried Polaris, but we no longer have any of those.

Reactions: rtB
My Sportsman 800 is my golf cart, my tractor, my mower, my plow, and my snowplow. It's a 2007 model and all I've really done is change fluids and put one belt on it. It goes places a SXS can't.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
^^^, but a sxs carries a load and people better. I have, however, had 5 x 50 lb bags of feed, a ladder, and 4 people on my sportsman 850. If you need to carry a lot of stuff/people over dirt roads, a sxs is tits. But, if you need to bail off into brush/muck/other to recover a deer, a quad really comes into its own.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
SxS go places a quad can't as well. I don't know anyone that has went back to a quad after switching. My dad has had real good luck with his teryx if you are wanting something on a more utilitarian side. I have had 4 Polaris rzr's that have been great, but I'm more into hauling ass than I am firewood. We have several polaris rangers in the family as well and not a one has had any trouble.

Yamaha Kodiak or Grizzly
Honda Rancher or Foreman

Those would be my work-horse choices

For more play time....Polaris or CanAm...the Yamaha Grizzly is also a good one for play time.

I’ve seen the Yamahas do things they shouldn’t be able to do, and go longer than they should be able to go, with minimal maintenance of oil changes and new tires.

YMMV but I’ve pulled one too many Polaris machines in my lifetime to own one. They’re nice, and when they run good they’re fun...but in my experience, they’ve been one of the least durable brands.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
haha i have a 87 big bear and it tows my 20ft sea ray around the grass no problem obviously super reliable its a 87!

Attachments

• C43C9CDB-7906-4240-8FE4-D396DCAC14DF.jpeg
    C43C9CDB-7906-4240-8FE4-D396DCAC14DF.jpeg
    750.9 KB · Views: 36
  • AA661F59-2F5A-40A3-9AA1-649E4D7A8E8B.jpeg
    AA661F59-2F5A-40A3-9AA1-649E4D7A8E8B.jpeg
    801.4 KB · Views: 29
Deere Gator 4x4. We’ve got 700 hours and it’s just getting to the point where it needs some work. The bed is big enough to hold all the tools, supplies, chainsaws, fencing supplies or anything else you need for a days work. It’s small enough to get to places a pickup can’t. And the dumping bed let us move uncounted yards of mulch, process, dirt, brush, wood chips, firewood than dump them. IMHO much more useful as a workhorse than an ATV. I favor the older models over the newer ones, less plastic and lower bed height. I’ve seen low hour used Gators under your price.

SxS go places a quad can't as well. I don't know anyone that has went back to a quad after switching. My dad has had real good luck with his teryx if you are wanting something on a more utilitarian side. I have had 4 Polaris rzr's that have been great, but I'm more into hauling ass than I am firewood. We have several polaris rangers in the family as well and not a one has had any trouble.
Unless you mean "the city thinks my sxs is a golf cart, so I can legally drive it on neighborhood streets" I've never seen anything a sxs could traverse that a quad could not. Longer, wider, heavier, and comparatively underpowered, a sxs is not the off road vehicle that a quad is. But, they haul people better, haul stuff better, and are less likely to get squirrelly in front of a trailer. If you need a farm or ranch tool, I think a sxs is better. If you're moving a group of hunters around a dove field or dropping them off at deer stands, I think a sxs is better. But, a quad is going to get further from the road, more easily, than the sxs. Know your use case.

Edit to add- I love my quad, but if I had it to do again, I'd probably get a sxs 4 seater.

Last edited:
I owned a Teryx for 10 years . It could go places I didn't have the guts to take it . Very agile ! As far as quads , I have to agree with most guys here . You can't go wrong with Yamaha or Kawasaki .

My 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI X2 (dump box) with is a large ATV. Only problem I've had is fuel pump crapped out after 8 years. Polaris wants to sell you a new fuel tank with pump installed for $600+. I took mine apart and installed a better fuel pump for $35.00.

It's a hard working machine with lots of grunt!

Well, for once I feel I can actually be helpful on a post! I’ve worked at a PowerSports dealership now for the last 12 years now, and have been fortunate, (and unfortunate) enough to carry every line available, minus the shitty kitty’s. (Sorry to you Arctic Cat owners I’ve offended there.) I here all you guys in regards to your preferences, and can agree with most all of you in some way or another. So here’s my OPINION, and please understand it’s just that. An opinion.

Can Am/ Polaris-If you are a person that loves innovation and performance, Can Am and Polaris are by far the leaders in these areas. Both companies are constantly pushing the bar with new features, updated performance year after year, and don’t seem to settle for anything less than being the best. I personally lean towards these two before anyone else because of this. The continually push the limits and innovate.

Honda- I have mixed opinions about Honda. On one hand, they make a great quality machine that will last years and years. On the other, they last forever because they haven’t changed anything in forever! No new features, and no innovation at all. Plus, from the dealership level, they are a pain in the ass to deal with!

Yamaha- They are the anti-Honda in a lot of ways, but also very much the same. Slow to bring new stuff to market, but WAY better of a company to deal with. They are growing on me rather quickly.

Suzuki and Kawasaki- more technology than Honda overall, but just not much to choose from.

It’s just opinions, like I stated, but I look at a lot of it like I do with products in the firearms industry. Honda, to me is a lot like Schmidt and Bender. Great product with just nothing new in forever. Can Am and Polaris are kind of like your Tangent Theta and Zero Comp optics. Absolutely awesome performance. If I were picking one to go with personally, it would probably go in this order.

1. Can Am
1. Polaris (yes, it’s a coin flip.)
3. Yamaha
4. Kawasaki
5. Honda
6. Suzuki

That’s just my 2 cents.

Yamaha for my money. I’ve tried to kill two rhinos over the past 12 years. 17 to 18,000 miles on each one of them. Don’t recall how many hours. The dealership used to ask if we owned a street vehicle or just use the rhino for all of our transportation. Every hour on each of those machines was work, pulling far beyond the rated weight capacity of the machine. We ranched in Texas in both black land and sand with hard pack and mud. We sold the first one to one of the kids and still have the second one. Both held up to the Texas heat and muddy as well as dusty/sandy conditions. We've roped calves out of them, (yes, there was a driver), moved cattle and chased and retired more hogs and pigs than you can count. The rhinos were very fast compared to Mules( maybe not quite as tough)but also very nimble. Did a fair amount of research and visited several dealers that sold all models. We bought another Yamaha side-by-side, this time a four seater wolverine. (Grandkids!) They love it and so does their grandmother. The remaining rhino will go to the kids again. The ratings that I got from several dealers all over the state seemed to be fairly consistent. Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki were the highest rated (not always in that order);with Canned Ham being listed as fast with fair reliability. Consistently Polaris had low rating for dependablity especially regarding their belt drive issues. Didn’t look at Gators or off brands. I hope this new Wolverine is at least 1/2 as tough as the Rhinos. Yamahas side by sides like most have plastic floors that will not turn sticks or rocks or whatever. High speed in brushy areas is asking for a projectile thru the floor or a leg. A full complement of skid plates can save you and your floor or get a Kawasaki Teryx (metal floor and front fender well area.)
It should go without saying that proper maintenance is a must; but I mentioned it anyway. Good luck !! Hope y’all get a good’un!

Reactions: 4X4Dad
Unless you mean "the city thinks my sxs is a golf cart, so I can legally drive it on neighborhood streets" I've never seen anything a sxs could traverse that a quad could not. Longer, wider, heavier, and comparatively underpowered, a sxs is not the off road vehicle that a quad is. But, they haul people better, haul stuff better, and are less likely to get squirrelly in front of a trailer. If you need a farm or ranch tool, I think a sxs is better. If you're moving a group of hunters around a dove field or dropping them off at deer stands, I think a sxs is better. But, a quad is going to get further from the road, more easily, than the sxs. Know your use case.

Edit to add- I love my quad, but if I had it to do again, I'd probably get a sxs 4 seater.
Both sidexsides and quads have their place, but if you think a quad can keep up with a rzr turbo-s or maverick x3 in rocks and big hill climbs, or for that matter the desert or dunes, you have never been around a modern sport side by side.

Both sidexsides and quads have their place, but if you think a quad can keep up with a rzr turbo-s or maverick x3 in rocks and big hill climbs, or for that matter the desert or dunes, you have never been around a modern sport side by side.
Ive out ran a few of those in the dunes. But you actually have to be ready to ride and be good at it. But rocks and hill climbs no way they be gone

One of my uncle's has/had a ranch. (It's my cousin's now, as my uncle passed) This is way WAY up in Northern B.C. Fair sized ranch, too. Point is, over the years they had all different brands and models up there. Started way back with the 3 wheeler's. Most all ATV's (Quads) would do the work, and run the miles. Each machine got an average of 10,000 miles put on it a year. (no, that's not a typo)

2 things.

A- Polaris's were not allowed on the property. They just had way too many 'problem points' and were more work than they were worth. Held everyone back from actually getting the job done, be-it too heavy and getting stuck, or too-exposed chain drive and going nowhere due to debris.

2- Yamaha's were eventually the "Family choice" over all other brands for this one very important reason. Maintenance/repair. They didn't have the luxury of a dealer nearby, so ANY maintenance/repairs were done by them. (here's the kicker) All machines pretty much lasted the duration needed, as well as did the job required about equal, BUT,,,, the Yamaha was designed to be repaired 'faster'.

Any other brand, especially HONDA, required the splitting of a casing in order to start a repair.

Most of the 'mileage' repairs on the Yammy's were able to be done simply by flipping the machine over onto its handlebars and grab a wrench. Much faster/easier/cheaper to get back up and running again.

Granted, this is before the SxS's came out, but that is what I know. Myself, I had the 400 Kodiak (97) gear-jammer, and I still miss that machine to this day. (ex sold it out from under me, whilst I was away to work).

Whatever you get, make sure it has a winch on it.

OMG, a wench. Definitely a "better to have and not need item," but need it one time and it's paid for itself. The only times I've ever used mine were to pull stuck sxs out of gumbo mud...