• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New B&C Stock .... any tips??

Muttt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Well, I looked over and saw that I had 99 posts. So, I figured i'd just go and post something stupid to get to that magic 100 posts .... LOL.

Anyway, I finally decided to buy a B&C stock. I just ordered the B&C Tactical Medalist Style 2 literally a few minutes ago. Do these need anything else right out of the box or will they perform well enough just torquing the action bolts and going to the range as is???

Re: New B&C Stock .... any tips??

I have the Tac Medalist A5, I had to open up the barrel channel by hand because I'm using a #10 MTU barrel. Other than being somewhat heavy, I have no complaints.

i would as well bed the recoil lug and action with devcon watch this set of vids, they little long but will make your action a sewing machine 1 on 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdUhYz0q30o

its a 9 part series but i did mine with confidence and it is amazing how much it helped, also look at bedding a scope rail as well

Hey, that's my stock.
smile.gif
I tried to oder one and they were sold out.

What color did you go with?
I am looking at the olive with black web

That'll get you going just fine and quickest. If you feel like bedding it, you can always do it later, like a weekend with bad weather, this will also allow you to see if it made a difference, if you're the curious type.

Flushcups? Pic rail for an atlas?

As easy as it is to do a skim-bed, it's a great idea. I'm not a "curious type", so I bedded mine before I ever shot with it.

Good luck, have fun.

a good bedding job makes a world of difference with these stocks. It can, at times, cut group size in half. Otherwise, good choice on stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arrowslinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, that's my stock.
smile.gif
I tried to oder one and they were sold out.

What color did you go with?
I am looking at the olive with black web </div></div>

All they had in stock was the tan and the black. I ended up going with the black. I figured I could always just paint it later if I want color. Soon as I ordered, all they had in stock was the tan.

I have been reading a bunch of the bedding posts. It has raised some questions, but seems pretty straight forward. What exactly is skim bedding?? I understand pillar bedding.

Skim bedding is the same as regular bedding, just with less material, because in theory your bedding block should be pretty close to fitting proper to the bottom of the receiver anyway, and with a bedding block pillars are not neccesary.

First thing I did with both of mine was to brake out the belt sander and a small handheld sander and marine tex and got rid of the horrible fore end. I just couldn't get used to the feel. Felt like I was shooting with a 1x4 nailed to the bottom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a good bedding job makes a world of difference with these stocks. It can, at times, cut group size in half. Otherwise, good choice on stock. </div></div>

I don't quite understand this. I thought the whole point to having a stock with the aluminum bedding block was so you don't have to bed it.

I have a Rem 700 AAC-SD in a B&C A2 stock that shoots under 1/2 MOA consistently. Do you think I could shrink that down to 1/4 MOA by bedding it?

Something I did notice about the bedding block, though, is that the action seemed to "settle" into it over time. The apparent contact points seemed to get a little larger after 100 rounds or so which seemed to make it more consistent. There was also some excess material around the bedding block that needed to be cleaned up before it would make full contact with the action. After doing that the performance has been very impressive.

One thing to keep in mind: Torquing the action consistently is critical to the performance of these stocks. You might have to play around with it to find the best torque value for your rifle, however mine does great with 65 in/lbs. *If you use the factory bottom metal you might want to go a little lower.*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First thing I did with both of mine was to brake out the belt sander and a small handheld sander and marine tex and got rid of the horrible fore end. I just couldn't get used to the feel. Felt like I was shooting with a 1x4 nailed to the bottom. </div></div>

I did this to mine also along with adding some flush cups. The factory forearm shape is very uncomfortable for off hand shooting. If you are going to shoot from a bipod or bags exclusively it shouldn't be an issue though.

After using mine for a while I also decided a butt hook was needed so I am in the process of adding one.

I am beginning to think I should have went with a McMillan A-5 after all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After using mine for a while I also decided a butt hook was needed so I am in the process of adding one. </div></div>

I'd be interested in seeing your process and final product. I've been thinking of doing this as well.

I didn't really document anything. I just got some fiberglass mat, cut it into strips and layered it on using some fairly thick epoxy instead of fiberglass resin. I built it up until it was at the desired height and shaped it using sandpaper and some files.

Originally I tried to shape it so I could reuse the factory recoil pad but that didn't allow me to make it as tall as I wanted. I have since acquired a new pad and am planning to make it a little larger.

I think I have some after pics on my phone. I'll try to post them later.

I got the A2 in tan and my Remington 700 was a perfect fit and I didn't have to mess with anything

I ordered one of these today as well. Its currently on back order but I wanted to get mine ordered before the sale ended. Anyways, I was going to bolt mine up and see how it preforms before I bedded it. As far as I know you dont HAVE to do anything to it. Maybe just clean up some loose ends.

what rifle? on my sav, just bolted it down to ck and got more than tight enough groups. read some folks do skim bed them. shoot it and see. can always use carbon paper or marker on al bed block then shoot to see contact points if it does not shoot well. depending upon what you see you can grind off or skim bed if needed.

On my Tac Medalist A5 I had to minimally enlarge the bolt handle cutout. Otherwise the bolt wouldn't close completely. I just used a file to take away some of the stock material, until the bolt closed completely and wouldn't hit the stock any more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Medalist A5 is basically the same stock but with the adjustable cheeck piece right????

Does anyone know where the best and possibly cheapest place is to buy the screw in flush cups?? </div></div>

The A5 also has an adjustable butt plate and an Anschutz style rail in the forearm. The ergonomics are a little different also.

If you are looking for just the threaded flush cups then you can buy the directly from GrovTec. You can Google their number. However, if you need the sling swivels with it you'll probably need to check at Brownell's, Midway, or some place similar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After using mine for a while I also decided a butt hook was needed so I am in the process of adding one. </div></div>

I'd be interested in seeing your process and final product. I've been thinking of doing this as well. </div></div>

Here's a picture I promised:

107w.jpg

I'm waiting until I finish the butt hook to touch up the paint around the flush cups and DBM.