Gunsmithing new barrel for Howa

avd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
ho, tx
I want to order a new barrel for my Howa. However, I am uncertain what to ask for. What will i need to specify to the barrel maker and what will the barrel maker provide? What will the gunsmith have to do to install the barrel?

Thanks in advance,

avd

ChadTRG42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.dallasreloads.com
Re: new barrel for Howa

For the barrel maker- all he needs to know is what caliber (308, 7mm, 6.5mm, etc), twist rate, and how long. The barrel comes as a barrel blank (unchambered and unthreaded)

For the gunsmith- he'll need to know the caliber to chamber and the threading on the Howa action to thread the barrel (he should know this).
This should get you done.

avd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
ho, tx

.308. Im afraid to ask this here but im gonna do it, what twist rate? I am shooting paper and pigs, mostly paper.

ChadTRG42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.dallasreloads.com

If you don't go heavier than a 190 SMK, then a 1:12 twist will work fine. But a anything between a 1:10" to 1:12 twist will work.
If you're going to rechamber, why a 308? Just curious. A 7mm-08 or 260 Rem would be better for longer range with higher BC bullets. But then again, you can't go wrong with a 308.

avd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
ho, tx

i have only shot 168 to 175, but i havent shot farther than 200 yards, yet. As far as a caliber change, i have thought about it but i keep going back to the fact that i have dies, and more dies, and brass and so on for the .308. I still may try the .260.

aqualung

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2008
Co. Durham, North of England

Think seriously about what was said above!

I shoot a 7mm-08 in a rem 700, factory rifle. I could not ask for better accuracy, the recoil is milder than a .308 (Subjective, but it feels a LOT nicer to shoot than my buddy's .308, AND I'm shooting 150grn boolits).

I'm also building a couple of 6.5's at the moment as well.

Do I feel disadvantaged by not having a .308?? HELL NO!!

Last competition I shot in I came second with my 7mm-08. The winner was using a .243. We were comfortably ahead of all the .308's, although, admittedly, we were only shooting the McQueen competition at 200yds (British army snap shooting sniper comp)

There are a lot more choices out there for the .308 bolt face, some VERY accurate, high performance cartridges.

Don't be a sheeple, dont follow the herd.

Hope this helps.

Neil

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
Clearfield, PA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have only shot 168 to 175, but i havent shot farther than 200 yards, yet. As far as a caliber change, i have thought about it but i keep going back to the fact that i have dies, and more dies, and brass and so on for the .308. I still may try the .260. </div></div>

Dies are cheep, your brass can be used for either the 7-08 or 260, plus they will both beat the hell out of any 308.