• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New barrel or new rifle

Harv24

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
Neenah,WI
So I have an old school PSS 700 I purchased in 1996...Has the shorter 24" barrel...
For years I had a Leupold M-1 MK4 10x with a Premier reticle Mil-dot...shoots 3/4MOA with Fed Gold..
About 3 years ago ,I renewed my interest in long range...I sent the OEM stock out to be milled for a PT&G mag /trigger lower...Which was nice.

Sold the MK4 and replaced it with a Bushnell LRSTI with a EGW 20moa rail and Seekins rings...very nice upgrade..
Then had the barrel threaded for a Lil Bastard...another nice upgrade...
Then the bolt arm snapped off..so I sent the bolt and action to LRI who did an awesome job fixing it and insuring proper extraction.
5WFzLQP.jpg

So here's my question....
Been thinking of switching to 6.5CM....Should I have my tried and trusty PSS rebarreled, or just get a complete new rifle.

I love the idea of simply getting another rifle. But, for me, I don't like have stuff lying around that I don't use.
=> Go with a remage set up; you can change barrels in just a few minutes. You can change calibers to any that use the 308 bolt face and that will feed.

Another vote for the Remage. Once done, it’s just barrels for all the calibers that accept the 308 bolt face and roughly 15 - 20 minutes of your time!

Chasing new rifles is fun, and I'm just as guilty of it as the next, but if you've been shooting this rifle for 20+ years, and it works for you, just do the remage thing. You are probably so used to this rifle anything else is going to feel strange. Barrel nut setups as just as accurate as shouldered barrels. They might not be as convenient, but they certainly wont leave you wanting for accuracy.

Interesting, I've heard of the Remage, does this require the stock to be modified to accommodate the nut. I'm assuming it does.

Interesting, I've heard of the Remage, does this require the stock to be modified to accommodate the nut. I'm assuming it does.

It depends on the stock, some do, some don't. Looks like your stock would need some work to accommodate a barrel nut.

You may need to sand it a bit to make room. Go by hand and spend 10 minutes sanding. Or 5 seconds with a dremel.

I get a wood dowel, wrap sand paper around it and then sand the barrel channel out as well.
0FE295D7-DB0F-4596-9AAF-DFB395B132A9.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that hs would clear a barrel nut. If it doesn't, then the stock was probably contacting old barrel.

New rifle. Easy choice. build on an Origin action if you think you may want to try more than once caliber down the road, or plan to burn the barrel out.

The rifle looks beautiful as is. Build another to what you want for today's use. Keep the old one in case the fit hits the shan.

There are a lot of options but to Remage a Remington 700, you may have to invest in tools if you aren’t tooled up. If you need an action wrench, capable VICE, gauges, barrel nut wrench, etc you could be close $300.00 depending on the parts you choose. Plus a budget barrel is around $300.00, most likely higher.

If you don’t shoot that much, it may not be worth the investment and the pain of violating the sentimental value of that classic 700 PSS.

I made the mistake of not purchasing a capable barrel vice and had to purchase a second one being a Brownells. I would probably buy the short action customs SAC vice and barrel wrench if I did it again, but only if i shot a lot or could be at peace with having expensive tools laying around.

New Barreled actions in KRG bravos, RPRs and other rifles are relatively cheap and may shoot well.

Also Northland Shooters as well as other places sell actions and even “trued” actions. If you didn’t have to disassemble a 700, you could use bench vice jaw covers if you went that route and then use your brake, stock and other components with your new remage.

Unfortunately and fortunately there are a lot of options.

Do you like the stock? Any reason to need another rifle i.e. shooting partners or kids?

If you don't need a 2nd rifle I would go for a new barrel. If you are already sub MOA I would expect the action is good enough and a new barrel will tighten things up enough to be withing your margin of error.

For 99% of my shooting I am the limiting factor.

I'm going to keep it stock, I hate to screw around with a classic old school PSS, I like the idea of a Barreled action in a KRG Bravo.
My range is limited to 550yds, so a 6.5 or any other caliber is not an immediate need. Thanks for everyone's opinions....