• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new Barrels

ryaninutah

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2011
Utah
I'm looking to replace my barrel for my 300 WSM. This is something I don't know much about. Any suggestions on types of barrels and where to get them? Thanks

Re: new Barrels

Another vote for Greg (bugholes). Great service and a great guy. As far as what barrel to go with, just stick with one of the major manufacturers (Krieger, Shilen, Lilja, Brux, Bartlein ect.) and you will be fine. You won't know the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carterjoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on bugholes. You can get the barrel you want without the wait. </div></div>

Big +1. I got my 7mm barrels from him just a few weeks ago.

I've also purchased Krieger barrels from 3rd Generation Shooters Supply, another vendor on the Hide.

+1 for greg,bugholes, top notch guy and smith and fast as heck on rifle turn around time

+1 for Greg. The 30 cal Rock 5R he has shoots lights out on 300wsm's ive seen. Currently having one built by Chad Dixon with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for greg,bugholes, top notch guy and smith and fast as heck on rifle turn around time </div></div>

Yep, Greg is da man!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlein... do it right.</div></div>

+1

"bugholes" is GTG, I used Brux and Obermeyer from him. The Brux was a dice roll for me since I had not used them before but looking through it with a bore scope, you wouldnt know you were not looking through a Krieger
smile.gif

Between my buddies gun with a Rock,Other buddies gun with a Bartlein and my Brux, the Brux shoots the best(all three guns shoot less then 1/2 moa). All of our guns are built by reputable Smiths and even they shoot my gun better. I know theres a lot of variables there but I feel the barrel has a lot to do with it. From the get go that barrel really impressed me.

I built 2 or 3 rifles per year for myself for the last 10 years.
Every barrel mentioned is way better than I will ever be.

I can get bug holes with the cheapest bull barrel, and then it fouls in 5 shots and takes 5 days to clean the Copper out. The cheap tapered barrels warp when hot. Some cheap or factory barrels work well, but my time gets wasted finding them.

But all of the above mentioned brands are hand lapped at the factory and stay clean a long time, and then clean fast. They are stress relieved.

The best price I can get on one of these is Shilen select match stainless. They are perfect shooters and the metal cuts like butter on my lathe.

I still like my Krieger, Hart, Lilja, Lothar Walther, and Douglas barrels. I just like getting access to Shilen wholesale prices better.