• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New bino search $2k

samson7x

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2014
I'm in the market for some new binos and looking for recommendations. I currently have vortex diamondbacks and I need better performance. I turkey hunt in KS and need better resolution to judge beard size and color resolution for picking out Toms. I also went elk hunting last year and would have enjoyed better glass while viewing bulls/the herd in general.

I would like to keep it under $2k and I'm not opposed to buying demo/used. I will be going with 10x42 as I think that's a good "do all" magnification without getting too heavy and requiring tripod. Currently I'm looking at Swaro SLC, Vortex UHD or razor HD, Zeiss conquest HD. I do not have a local shop that carries all these brands and will have to purchase based on recommendation alone. Has anyone viewed all/some of these and can provide input?

I've used the Swaros a good bit as an RO at matches, and now own the Bushnell Forge 10 and 15x binos. Personally, I'd buy the Forge and be done with it. Even in the absurd mirage Sunday afternoon at the recent Altus match, I had no issues seeing all the impacts and misses on my stage. Color and clarity on them is excellent, and the 10s are less than $500.

$2K will get you a used EL 10x42. I just sold a pair for that and I’ve seen plenty of others. There is no better glass than EL’s. Might as well get the beat since it’s in your budget.

Reactions: skinney_7
New Swaro EL 10x42s with field pro package can be had new for under 2k. Wouldn't choose anything else for hunting. The Maven B2 9x is also a good option. Looked side by side with @wjm308 and was not disappointed. Not sure what those go for but I believe he said they were just a touch over 1k. The Swaro SLCs are good also. But the price I got my ELs for, I would do it over again.

^^^ What jwk said above, the Maven B.2 9x45's performed extremely well compared to his Swaro EL's, we were both a bit surprised. If you can get a set of EL's for $2k then you can rest in the fact you have the absolute best; however, if you'd like to save a bit and don't mind 9x vs. 10x for the benefit of having a larger exit pupil (low light) then the Maven's cannot be beat for their price. This guy was selling his a while back, I was so tempted to buy them but bought some other gear instead (including some Maven B.3 8x30's which I love!) - https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/maven-b2-9x45-like-new.6951462/

Not sure if they are still for sale but might be worth sending him a PM as that is an excellent price for those

Reactions: MOUNTIC
I think the SLC's are likely the best out of the ones you've listed, but I agree with others above that if you can swing $2k you can find yourself a set of Swaro EL's either demo/used.

Edit. EO and Sport optics were a little more then I started new.

Or shoot me a note OP and I'll get you in touch with a guy for possibly a better deal even.

Reactions: samson7x
New Swaro EL 10x42s with field pro package can be had new for under 2k. Wouldn't choose anything else for hunting. The Maven B2 9x is also a good option. Looked side by side with @wjm308 and was not disappointed. Not sure what those go for but I believe he said they were just a touch over 1k. The Swaro SLCs are good also. But the price I got my ELs for, I would do it over again.

Mind sharing where you found them new for under 2k?

Edit-just saw your most recent post. Sending PM.

I think the SLC's are likely the best out of the ones you've listed, but I agree with others above that if you can swing $2k you can find yourself a set of Swaro EL's either demo/used.

That may be the route I take. I'm not in a big hurry because my next trip will be turkey next spring.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
12x50 Vortex UHD are IMPRESSIVE, even compared with Swaro EL 12x50s

I am in the middle of doing a review comparing the two. Also have the 18x56x

Vu

Interesting, looking forward to your review.

12x50 Vortex UHD are IMPRESSIVE, even compared with Swaro EL 12x50s

I am in the middle of doing a review comparing the two. Also have the 18x56x

Vu
Will you be posting your review to this thread or starting a new one? I am interested in your conclusions as well.

I am a huge fan of my Leica Ultravid 10x42. Perfect glass and less bulky than Swaro and Zeiss. I did side by side comparisons between the big 3. (Leica, Swaro and Zeiss). All comparable but the Leicas were more pleasing to my eyes and Fit better in my hands. While this might seem like splitting hairs, when your on the side of an icey cliff ergonomics matter.

Last edited:
I recently purchased the Swarovski 10 X 50 El’s after taking the advice from some of the members here. I was struggling between the 10 X 50 or the 12 X 50, but after the purchase don’t regret going with the 10 power (great FOV, unreal clarity, and steady when hand holding). I went through SportOptics and was able to receive a discount which put me close to your 2k limit, but still over it. Rokslide EE always seems to have a good selection of used binoculars if you haven’t looked there.

I recently purchased the Swarovski 10 X 50 El’s after taking the advice from some of the members here. I was struggling between the 10 X 50 or the 12 X 50, but after the purchase don’t regret going with the 10 power (great FOV, unreal clarity, and steady when hand holding). I went through SportOptics and was able to receive a discount which put me close to your 2k limit, but still over it. Rokslide EE always seems to have a good selection of used binoculars if you haven’t looked there.

I’m not familiar with rokslide but I’ll check it out. I’ve heard sportoptics has great prices when calling in. I’m not ready to buy immediately so budget is a little flexible.

Reactions: HillBilly n TX
I’m not familiar with rokslide but I’ll check it out. I’ve heard sportoptics has great prices when calling in. I’m not ready to buy immediately so budget is a little flexible.
Definitely call and check for discounts if you decide to purchase. I’ve purchased several NightForce scope‘s through them and I’ve had nothing but excellent service.

I'll also vote for the Swaro EL's.
I don't think you can beat the EL glass. I've had the 10X50 SLC's and got rid of them for the 12X50 EL's, a bit tougher to keep stabilized, which is why you might look at the 10's. I've also had the 10X42 EL Ranges and got rid of them for the HDB3000's, glass goes to Swaro, but the LRF in the Leica is stupid good. I've hit 3060 more than a few times.

Will you be posting your review to this thread or starting a new one? I am interested in your conclusions as well.

Starting a new one. There is no doubt the ELs are bad ass, but I think if someone looked through a pair of these UHDs, I would be shocked if someone said they are 1000.00 more in performance.

Reactions: DangerRanger
Starting a new one. There is no doubt the ELs are bad ass, but I think if someone looked through a pair of these UHDs, I would be shocked if someone said they are 1000.00 more in performance.
That was my experience as well with the Maven B.2 9x45's

Vortex Razor HD 12x50 Left
Vortex Razor UHD 12x50 Right
Vortex Razor UHD 18x56 Middle

kbvFnjM.jpg

Reactions: Wyzrd
I just came back from hunting out west glassing off of a tripod all day for days. I can 100% recommend the Swarovski EL binos without any reservations. I used the 10x50 but I'm sure the 10x42 would suit you better. Get the money together and just get some ELs, they were in a league of their own compared to the glass of my hunting partner.

I compared the Vortex UHD and the Swaro EL 10x42's yesterday evening. It was about 45 minutes after sunset and I can honestly say that I could not determine any difference between the two. I have been hunting for many years and have experience with good and bad glass. The UHD's have a slightly bigger FOV which can be nice so if I were you, I'd save money and go with the UHD's.

The shop owner, who I'm good friends with, runs Swaro's as his own binos for 15 years and even said he couldn't recommend the EL's over the UHD's.

I have the 2019 Swaro SLC 10x42's and have compared them to the 10x42 Swaro ELs. The difference is very small, and in fact they have the same quality glass. The EL may give you slightly better color fidelity due to its coatings, but are very similar in overall clarity and light gathering capability. In fact I would rate the SLC slightly better at twilight. For my money the recent model SLC's are probably a better buy as the differences are very slight. The ELs are also a few ounces heavier.

For comparison I also have a pair of Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42's with the integrated range finder. The Leica's are actually a bit sharper in the very center of the image than the Swaro SLCs, but the Swaro has a slight advantage in brightness during twilight conditions. I would assume the non-range finding Leica Ultravid has similar glass quality.

For weight, size, clarity and price I would recommend the Swarovski 10x42 SLCs for general hunting.

I have the 2019 Swaro SLC 10x42's and have compared them to the 10x42 Swaro ELs. The difference is very small, and in fact they have the same quality glass. The EL may give you slightly better color fidelity due to its coatings, but are very similar in overall clarity and light gathering capability. In fact I would rate the SLC slightly better at twilight. For my money the recent model SLC's are probably a better buy as the differences are very slight. The ELs are also a few ounces heavier.

For comparison I also have a pair of Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42's with the integrated range finder. The Leica's are actually a bit sharper in the very center of the image than the Swaro SLCs, but the Swaro has a slight advantage in brightness during twilight conditions. I would assume the non-range finding Leica Ultravid has similar glass quality.

For weight, size, clarity and price I would recommend the Swarovski 10x42 SLCs for general hunting.
The EL also has a field flattener lens and offers superior edge to edge sharpness, some like the flat field, others don’t. The SLC’s offer great value for the money.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug