• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New bolt action shooter, new rifle

rbdub474

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
Missouri
I am not totally new to bolt actions, just used them for hunting and informal paper punching in the past.

I just picked up a new Savage Model 10 Precision in .308 for $450. Is that a good deal on this rifle? I have a couple questions for all you guys that shoot a lot of bolt actions. Most of my time is spent with short AR's and handguns, so this is all pretty new to me. I'm thinking I will enjoy a little longer distance shooting, and want to get a nice setup to start with.

I am looking for a decent scope, that won't break the bank. I like the looks of the Millet Long Range scope I believe it is 6-20x56 with an illuminated mil dot reticle. Is this a good scope to go with or is there something better for around the same price.

I am also going to need a scope base and rings. What is a good base preferably one piece and solid rings that would work on the Savage with the above listed scope.

I would also like to have a higher capacity magazine. I see that Sharp Shooter Supply has a replacement 9 round mag for the centerfeed mag that my rifle came with. They also have a universal bottom metal kit that I think would fit. My question is would the universal bottom metal fit my rifle, and would you recommend that over the replacement mags or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance

Re: New bolt action shooter, new rifle

I think you will be satisfied with the savage. I had a 10fp in 308 and was a good rifle.

As for the Millett I have a LRS, and have had pretty good luck with it. No its not a USO or Night Force but a pretty good for a middle of the road scope. Some of the other guys on here may be able to recomend somthing better. Mine is a 35 mm tube and its adds quite a bit of weight. Guess it depends on what your are wanting.

As for the mag system IDK if the aftermarket kit will bolt right into what you have or not. But CDI has a bottom metal kit to take AI mags for savages and if you send in the stock your gonna use they will inlet and set everything up for you and send it back. I called about my savage is how I found this out.

You may just want to use the current setup with the extended mag until you get more familiar and this will keep your initial cost down.

But there others that will probably chim in on this and be able to give better advice than me, as I am a novice when it comes to the long range game.

Hello

thanks for the good words on the LRS. as its a large scope and there is a big hunk of glasses in it, the weight is not light. We were the first to come up with a resonable priced 35mm scope.

Glad you enjoy it.

Steve

Millett/Bushnell

Look at the Vortex Vipers. I have one fitted to my .223 M10PC. "Fits" well. 20 MOA EGW base and Warne QD rings. Liberty Optics gave me a decent price on it and I'm very happy.
You have the accustock so I would really check which BM will fit it. I would not bother with SSS.

EDIT***
AI mags or a REAL mag system are the way to go. Worth sending it off to get fitted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rbdub474</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a new Savage Model 10 Precision in .308 for $450. Is that a good deal on this rifle? </div></div>

First off... Welcome to the Hide!! Second... Welcome to the world of Savage!! Enjoy your stay in both.

Holy cow!! Is that a good deal?? You are seriously asking that question?? Absolutely, you got a totally awesome deal... basically it is a STEAL... you done good.

Here is the thing... you ALREADY bought it, so it is up to YOU to decide if it is a good deal. My opinion is most definately. I wish I could score a deal somewhere even close to that.

DK