• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New brass sizing / RL 550B technique

michael_aos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Normally when I get a new box of rifle brass, I lube the inside of the necks with dry lube on a brush. Then I dab a little Imperial sizing wax near the case head. I run them through a factory neck-die (station 1) and body die (station 3). Then I trim and run them through the cleaner.

When I load, I just have a generic decapping die in station-1, powder funnel in #2, and sweater die in station 3.

Does anything sound "wrong" with this setup, or any suggestions? I kind of hate sizing brand-new brass, but it also seems like a good practice to do so.

Re: New brass sizing / RL 550B technique

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Normally when I get a new box of rifle brass, I lube the inside of the necks with dry lube on a brush. Then I dab a little Imperial sizing wax near the case head. I run them through a factory neck-die (station 1) and body die (station 3). Then I trim and run them through the cleaner.

When I load, I just have a generic decapping die in station-1, powder funnel in #2, and sweater die in station 3.

Does anything sound "wrong" with this setup, or any suggestions? I kind of hate sizing brand-new brass, but it also seems like a good practice to do so. </div></div>

I load on a 550b and for 223 and 308, I have separate sizing tool heads that I use my Redding body die and twin neck bushing dies in.

Station 3 is my body die.

Station 4 is the first neck die with a large step down bushing and no decapping stem installed. I've removed the case 'kick-out' wire after station 4, but left the locator button in. The bushing will be .339", or .340".

Station 1 is the second neck die with whatever final bushing I need and the decapping stem sans expander ball. If it's semi auto fired brass, I have a carbide expander button installed, so I don't worry about lubing the inside of the necks.

I use either RCBS CaseLube II, or Imperial Sizing wax.

In one pull, I bump the shoulder back, step down the neck to a manageable diameter, then decap and finish off with the final bushing diameter.

Chris

Re: New brass sizing / RL 550B technique

Sounds like a nice setup. I load on a D650. I dump fired brass into the casefeeder and simply use a Lee Decapper and decap all my brass. Then clean. Then I put my "real" toolhead in:

Station 1: Forster bushing/bump die
Station 2: Sinclair expander to finalize neck ID @ .306" (for 308)
Station 3: Satern powder funnel
Station 4: Forster ultra-mic seater

I use a necksize bushing that leaves the neck ID around .304", so the sinclair expander actually has to "work" a little. This expander step has made my bullet seating SLICK and CONSISTENT. Best thing I ever did for consistent/slick bullet seating.