• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build decision 300prc or 300winmag

GRZLY

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2024
Mississippi
I’m building a new rifle and I was trying to decide the caliber. I won’t take this past a mile most likely and I was just wanting to get some input. I know 300prc has its advantages at extended ranges. I also know 300win has stood the test of time and has way more availability. What caliber should I go with and why?

I’m building a new rifle and I was trying to decide the caliber. I won’t take this past a mile most likely and I was just wanting to get some input. I know 300prc has its advantages at extended ranges. I also know 300win has stood the test of time and has way more availability. What caliber should I go with and why?
Well, you already decided the caliber, so we are talking cartridge! :p
I just checked brass prices and availability and the 300PRC and 300WM Lapua brass is same price and in stock.
You can get Peterson brass for 300WM a little cheaper in 250 bulk packs.
The price and availability was the only thing the 300WM had over the 300PRC a few years ago, but 300WM loses that one leg left argument now. You are also building custom, so yup 300PRC.

Reactions: Uhlan and GRZLY
Idk where you are, and I hear people say WM has better availability, but I can’t remember a time when that was actually true. Consistently more PRC on the shelves.

I have a 300 Win Mag that I built a few years ago just as 300 PRC started to become popular. If I had to do it again, I would build a 300 PRC since it is the modern version of the Win Mag.

A few things I would recommend you do in your build with ether caliber, is use an action and stock/chassis combo that will let use the 3.805" CIP length magazines for the longest possible COAL. I would also stick to a twist rate between 1:9-1:8 (With 1:85 nominal) and plan on focusing on 208gr to 220gr Berger Hybrid and Hybrid LR bullets. You can shoot heavier bullets, but you start to push the limits of ether cartridge and will burn the barrel out fast, and 300 Norma has more ass behind it to push out the heavier bullets and handles the 230gr and up bullets better.

Barrel length will depend on what you are going to do with the rifle and if you plan to run a can on it. My self, I use my 300WM for hunting and shooting steal and planning to use a can at some point, so I with a 24" barrel. If you plan on doing both like I did, I would stick to a 24" to 26" barrel. If it is just going to be a target rifle, I would do 26" to 28" with 30" being the max.

One last note, if you do opt for the 300WM, make sure you get a barrel with a match chamber that has the deeper throat for the longer bullets.

I have both. Built the WM first and then the PRC. I load them both long and single feed them. I built the PRC so I could have a faster twist for the 250 A-Tips. They both are equally accurate. I love my WM, but if I was building my first 30 cal magnum the PRC would probably be my choice.

Reactions: GRZLY
If you handload, go straight to lapua brass. DO NOT mess around with hornady brass.

Look up 300prc clickers

With the right reamer and throat, the Win Mag can hang with the PRC, pushing things like the 200-230 grain Berger Hybrid or Hornady bullets however this usually means you're reloading only.

IMO, unless you're a clone builder doing an M2010 or Mk13 variant or seeking to purchase an old-school AI AW Magnum (i.e. G22 type. rifle), I'd go 300 PRC...Whether you're shooting only factory ammo or reloading, the PRC has the advantage over the win mag (no stupid-ass belt, longer, better bullets can fit and still feed from the mag with the appropriate amt of jump, better overall case design, no stupid-ass belt, no stupid-assed belt, etc).

Are you going with a pre-fit set up?
If not, I'd recommend doing so - this way you can swap your own barrels, no machining/fitting/gunsmithing, etc...

Reactions: FredHammer
The belted magnum is obsolete. I don't care if military and law enforcement still use it; their winds of change blow slow. Reamers like the AW2 and Manson M2 solve the "clicker" issue. The 300 PRC or Norma Magnum are the way to go for the .30.cal magnums; efficient and easy.
I have two rifles in the shop right now switching from 300 RUM to 300 PRC, that's one dwindling off too.

I have a custom 300wm that is a lazer, but I built it before 300prc was really a thing. With that being said when I rebarrel the rifle I’m going 300prc. Ballistically it is a better round imo.

Reactions: FisherT&C
Done right, the 300WM isn't a slouch and will be barely be behind if not maybe a little ahead of the PRC. Will depend on the chamber on the WM. Have shot a couple of AI chambered 300WM barrels that can push the 215gr Bergers right at 3k FPS with no issues. I can also run 208gr ELDMs at 3049FPS as well on my 300WM. But I have also shot a Proof 300WM chambered barrel and no way in hell you can get close to the loads of that in the AI chambered barrels.

Also watched a video maybe a year ago from Mark and Sam After work stating the 300WM vs the 300 PRC, that the PRC will reach pressures faster than that of the 300WM. Not sure what reamers and freebore they are using.

• Wow
Reactions: moosemeat
Done right, the 300WM isn't a slouch and will be barely be behind if not maybe a little ahead of the PRC. Will depend on the chamber on the WM. Have shot a couple of AI chambered 300WM barrels that can push the 215gr Bergers right at 3k FPS with no issues. I can also run 208gr ELDMs at 3049FPS as well on my 300WM. But I have also shot a Proof 300WM chambered barrel and no way in hell you can get close to the loads of that in the AI chambered barrels.

Also watched a video maybe a year ago from Mark and Sam After work stating the 300WM vs the 300 PRC, that the PRC will reach pressures faster than that of the 300WM. Not sure what reamers and freebore they are using.
Holy fuck!

Hmmm def not been my experience between the 2

I was loading my WM loads at about 3.65”. Out of a 26” barrel I was getting 2960 with 225 ELDMs.

Reactions: XP1K
I was loading my WM loads at about 3.65”. Out of a 26” barrel I was getting 2960 with 225 ELDMs.
I haven't tried the 225s yet on the 300WM, only on the 300NM. But will probably be moving all my 215s, 225s and 208s for 300 WM use only. N570 with the heavies in the 300WM is magic. The 300NM is now only going to get the 245s since they have been in stock and I have quite a bit of it for that barrel.

I haven't tried the 225s yet on the 300WM, only on the 300NM. But will probably be moving all my 215s, 225s and 208s for 300 WM use only. N570 with the heavies in the 300WM is magic. The 300NM is now only going to get the 245s since they have been in stock and I have quite a bit of it for that barrel.
Just found me a 215 Hybrid 300WM load with N570. 80gr 2930s out of my 23.5” barrel. (93gr h2O case capacity brass)

If you handload, go straight to lapua brass. DO NOT mess around with hornady brass.

Look up 300prc clickers

Almost all of the 300prc clicker issues have to do with the saami max cartridge width vs the saami minimum chamber width.

As long as you get a reamer that's 0.5345 or 0.5350, you'll be fine regardless of brass manufacturer.

It's not a brass issue. Harder brass just doesn't suffer from the issue created by not so great specs. Basically it's a bandaid and not a fix.

Almost all of the 300prc clicker issues have to do with the saami max cartridge width vs the saami minimum chamber width.

As long as you get a reamer that's 0.5345 or 0.5350, you'll be fine regardless of brass manufacturer.

It's not a brass issue. Harder brass just doesn't suffer from the issue created by not so great specs. Basically it's a bandaid and not a fix.
That's also what I thought......
Until I had my chamber reamed with the AW2 reamer and still had clickers on once fired hornady brass.
On my 4th firing of lapua and still no clickers.

I am heavily invested in 300WINMAG. I am probably never going to leave it behind. I have 2 rifles chambered with long throats for shooting long bullets.
Several years ago I built a 30 NOSLER. I figured I could a get few more fps. Turns out, with the 210 Bergers, I could get more fps than the load I had built up for the WINMAG but the accuracy fell off. If I only pushed the 210 the same as the WINMAG, phenomenally accurate but not more so. I am using less powder to launch at that velocity in the WINMAG.
I have a sort of friend shooting 210's in his PRC with pretty much same results. I think he is getting 3050 fps and I am only getting 2950 fps. I have never fired his rifle, he won't let me. He's a little strange.
All that being said, if there had been a 30 Nosler or a PRC option in the early 1980's, I would probably not have gotten into the belted case option. I would recommend to anyone just getting into a 30 caliber magnum to be looking at the non-belted options and not rule out the 300RUM.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottVA
Agree with Aftermath. 300WM is a terrific cartridge. Truth be told, sadly, all but obsolete today, the 308 Norma Mag was probably better than both of them.

New videos up! Come watch the Pokemon Rifle (Bergara 300PRC) with Ivey adj base and Sighton glass shoot 1k and 1250. Not my best shooting but it was a good day. Running 220ELDX over 7828SSC in ADG brass.
Exclusively on RUBMLE I will no longer give Ad Revenue to YT - I feel they will soon *poof* all good reloading videos anyway so I'm trying to stay ahead of the curve. Roast or post - Press or cry like the rest...

I’m getting excellent results with my 300 WSM TS Customs 26” 1/10 chambered for 215 Bergers. Norma brass at 2800+ fps is very impressive.