• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build - Hide experiment

Windrunner408

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2014
Denver, CO
Been considering a quick change action for new build. Possibly a Ti action (not quick change). I am not looking for caliber recommendations only parts. Going to be a .308/6.5CR build for fun and beginner friendly (Lady). Cost is not a factor. Looking to build something based on recommendations and see how she goes. Doesnt have to be mainstream. Quality and functionality are the top aspects. Unique is good.

Parts confirmed (not changing my mind, already have)
Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel(s)
Jae -700 Chassis (SA)
Scope

Parts pending (open to discussion)
Action (short) - Zeus, Lone Peak fuzion Ti, Lone peak fuzion, Defiance, ARC, ???
Trigger - open
Brake/FH
Bipod/ carbon fiber tripod

Last edited:
This doesn't come across as a WTB ad at all...🙄

Seems like you're trying to circumvent the PX rules.

There's a pay to play option available. I'd suggest you exercise that option before the kitty decides to pounce.

Not trying to skirt any rules. I will remove the last section. Look for honest feedback. Im by no means an expert and would like to tap into anyones knowledge on the subject.

First off, for a female beginner, I would keep recoil at a minimum. Unless she particularly enjoys recoil, I would go as little of recoil as possible. I would skip the .308, and possibly even 6.5 Creedmoor. Can we open it up to cartridges that require reloading, or are you stuck with just factory ammo? Depending on whether you can reload or not, I would look at .223, .224 valkyrie, 6BR, 6GT, etc.

I went through this with my wife, and I built her a 6BRA on a LP Fuzion with KRG Bravo chassis with custom paint job to make it more "girly", 24" heavy palma Brux barrel, BnA Tacsport trigger and a Steiner M5 scope I had sitting around. She bought a SiCo Omega to go with it.

I would strongly consider the LP Fuzion (steel version), it has a light bolt lift and lighter bolt close. I'm a big fan of BnA triggers, so I'll throw in a 2 stage tacsport into the hat. Insite Arms Heathen brake. Bipod would be Atlas CAL or TBAC.

Weight may be something to keep in mind as well. My wife complains sometimes how heavy the rifle is (~18 lbs), but also wouldn't mind something less recoiling then the 6BRA ( 🤯 ), if she ever burns that barrel out I will rebarrel her rifle with a .22 BRA :p

First off, for a female beginner, I would keep recoil at a minimum. Unless she particularly enjoys recoil, I would go as little of recoil as possible. I would skip the .308, and possibly even 6.5 Creedmoor. Can we open it up to cartridges that require reloading, or are you stuck with just factory ammo? Depending on whether you can reload or not, I would look at .223, .224 valkyrie, 6BR, 6GT, etc.

I went through this with my wife, and I built her a 6BRA on a LP Fuzion with KRG Bravo chassis with custom paint job to make it more "girly", 24" heavy palma Brux barrel, BnA Tacsport trigger and a Steiner M5 scope I had sitting around. She bought a SiCo Omega to go with it.

I would strongly consider the LP Fuzion (steel version), it has a light bolt lift and lighter bolt close. I'm a big fan of BnA triggers, so I'll throw in a 2 stage tacsport into the hat. Insite Arms Heathen brake. Bipod would be Atlas CAL or TBAC.

Weight may be something to keep in mind as well. My wife complains sometimes how heavy the rifle is (~18 lbs), but also wouldn't mind something less recoiling then the 6BRA ( 🤯 ), if she ever burns that barrel out I will rebarrel her rifle with a .22 BRA :p

Something like the .224V or one of the other 223/224 caliber options, pushing heavies might actually be a really nice rig for her as you could keep the weight down and easily get way out there while having minimal recoil.

Reactions: kthomas
Not trying to skirt any rules. I will remove the last section.

I do reload, so I can experiment there. The reason I decided to go with the .308/6.5cm is for hunting. Given this thing will most likely weight 15 lbs i don’t think she will mind the recoil but i may also consider something with interchangeable bolt face and have a .223 or similar “trainer” to start her out on.

What are you going to be hunting? Elk?

If it's just deer, they are small animals. A decently placed shot with a centerfire .22 will easily take out a deer.

Been considering a quick change action for new build. Possibly a Ti action (not quick change). I am not looking for caliber recommendations only parts. Going to be a .308/6.5CR build for fun and beginner friendly (Lady). Cost is not a factor. Looking to build something based on recommendations and see how she goes. Doesnt have to be mainstream. Quality and functionality are the top aspects. Unique is good.

Jae -700 Chassis (SA)
Scope

Action (short) - Zeus, Lone Peak fuzion Ti, Lone peak fuzion, Defiance, ARC, ???
Trigger - open
Brake/FH
Can the shooter achieve proper length of pull with that chassis? How short does a J. Allen go down to?

Quick change with a set screw set up and a .223 bolt face will give you a lot of usability and will work for both you (if you want to shoot the .308/6.5) and her (223) without much trouble. I have a Zeus with both bolt heads and I like it. Set screw allows you both to shoot it at the range if you want to easily change barrels. I don’t know if that’s reasonable for you or if you’d rather have it torqued on and set it and forget it with whatever caliber it’s got on. I’d that’s the case then any action will work just fine.

Also will be hunting goats. Length of pull is no issue. Recoil limit for her is .308/6.5. She want to be able to spot and follow up if necessary with this setup while I’m on my rig. This will also serve as a backup if mine in down.

I feel like there is a lot of competing components and objectives here.

If cost is not a factor, then why not buy a lightweight hunting rifle (say Tikka), and use the JAE to build a more purpose built hunting rifle?

I love JAE chassis', but not really a hunting chassis.

Is this rifle going to be solely a hunting rifle, or a jack of all trades that sucks at all of them?

Because it’s in stock and light weight.

Hi,

Ok, but just FWIW...Titanium has some potential major issues in a rifle that you will actually shoot a lot...in a 20 round a year hunting rifle it is ok but for a routinely used rifle it has some major issues.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Ok, but just FWIW...Titanium has some potential major issues in a rifle that you will actually shoot a lot...in a 20 round a year hunting rifle it is ok but for a routinely used rifle it has some major issues.

Sincerely,
Theis
Tell me more. Does it heat up and cause issues?

Hi,

FWIW..Titanium has pretty bad wear resistance.....that is why the aerospace world has spent and continues to spend millions of dollars in creating and testing surface film lubricants geared specifically for Titanium.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

It does not take a rocket doctor to read the documentation on titanium's' strength AND weaknesses. The weaknesses far far outweigh (no pun intended) the strengths when we are discussion rifle actions and their utilization.

Sincerely,
Theis

H4350 in that BRA will make your wife love you again LOL!

Savage 110
30-06

iu

Jae -700 Chassis (SA)
Scope

Trigger - open
Brake/FH
Just call Jason at Jack Keister Customs and have them build you a rifle. They are a distributor for Pierce who makes a titanium action. They also make their own carbon fiber stocks, about 4 different styles. Their complete rifles with a Swarovski scope mounted weigh barely more than as a bare JAE 700SA chassis. They also build exceptional tactical rifles.

Reactions: Windrunner408