• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build modifying barrel need some opinions

exedotbat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Montville, NJ
I purchased a WOA 18" SPR barrel, 1/7 twist, mid length, 223 wylde.

My original intentions were to cut and crown at 16", however now I am thinking of either just cutting the threads off and crowning, which would make it around 17 1/2, or leaving it at 18 and have the threads removed.

What are your opinions?

The whole reason for doing this, is I can't have a threaded barrel, otherwise it needs a brake welded on which I don't want to do.

Re: New build modifying barrel need some opinions

You could have a thread protector made to match the contour of your barrel. That would leave it at 18". On the other hand, I doubt you'll notice a large loss in velocity between an 18" barrel and a 17.5" barrel. May be cheaper just to cut and recrown.

If you absolutely can't have threads I would stick to the original plan and cut/crown.

I'd put on a brake/hider and be done with it. Messin' with Jersey regs is a pain. The more generic the rifle appears, the less nosiness it will attract.

If you don't want a brake/FH permanently attached (pinned/welded) to the barrel to comply with NJ law, then I would opt for having the threaded portion ONLY cut down and then get the barrel recrowned with a good target crown.

Having just the threads themselves removed (leaving a weird/awkward looking section of barrel hanging out there) is going to just look stupid IMHO.
wink.gif

I want to stay away from the brake only due to the fact that its a pita to remove the free float rail if i choose to do so. So if i cut and crown should i do it at 16 or keep it as long as possible which would be another inch?

Or a silver soldered on protector. If I had to make a similar decision, I would have to teeter between chopping it to 16" or having the thread protector permanently attached.

I only say this because your 18" barrel has a mid length gas system on it. Chopping it to 16" will probably result in more muzzle blast/flash, but it will also probably make the rifle shoot more smoothly (with less recoil impulse), because by cutting the barrel to 16", you have reduced the dwell time.

Generally speaking, I've found 14.5" mid lengths and 18" rifle lengths to be the smoothest shooting rifles.