• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build new optic

fordsoldier

Just a dude, doing dude stuff.
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2005
Illinois
Ok building a Grendel with a craddock barrel. 18"-20" looking to push rifle to 600 to 800 yards. Currently looking at 3-18 razor gen 2, have a 4.5-27 gen 2 on my creedmoor bolt gun. I like having the extra magnification at times especially when doing load development.

4.5-27 to much on a grendel? I know I can always turn it down. But is 27 overkill?

Ok building a Grendel with a craddock barrel. 18"-20" looking to push rifle to 600 to 800 yards. Currently looking at 3-18 razor gen 2, have a 4.5-27 gen 2 on my creedmoor bolt gun. I like having the extra magnification at times especially when doing load development.

4.5-27 to much on a grendel? I know I can always turn it down. But is 27 overkill?
How about a MK5 instead of that boat anchor?

Cool. It's a better scope, have used them both extensively. Get the Vortex, your clearly biased. Did you come here asking opinions when you already have your mind made up?

Cool. It's a better scope, have used them both extensively. Get the Vortex, your clearly biased. Did you come here asking opinions when you already have your mind made up?
I was asking about magnification powers, I do like my boat anchors though.... :cool::cool:. Nothing wrong with a Luepy. Just like the reticles in the vortex.

The weight and size of the 3-18 and 4.5-27 is basically the same. I have never heard anyone say they wished they had an extra 1.5x on the LOW end of their magnification. Now we have all heard people say they wish they had more on the TOP end. For precision work (even if you don’t always use it) the higher magnification may serve you better over having the extra field of view from the 3x over the 4.5x.

if the two scopes you are interested in were significantly different in size and weight; that may lead me more towards the 3-18. But since they are so close, I say base it off the magnification. The 4.5-27 would be fine.

I'm still flip flopping between the two optics, only 150 dollars difference in the two.