• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Build - Opinions Please

barlowrs

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Hello everyone, I’m pretty new here, been lurking for a while, and learning a LOT of stuff (thank you very much), but now I need opinions.

I am beginning a build on my Rem 700 .308 SPS Varmint. The plan for this build<span style="font-style: italic"> was </span>as follows:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock: </span>JAE-700 Chassis (only another month or so wait until I get delivery)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Optics:</span> Vortex Razor HD 5-20 (On its way)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Rings: </span>IOR V-Tac HD Rings (On its way)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Rail:</span> 20MOA LaRue (haven’t bought yet, may change)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Tirgger:</span> Jewell Tigger
<span style="font-weight: bold">Bipod: </span>GG&G HD (Arrived)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Monopod:</span> Accu-Shot (Arrived)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel:</span> Stock until I wear it out (it will give me lots of time to practice as well). Once ready to replace, I will get aftermarket and have the action blueprinted.

The goal was to make an accurate rifle out to 1000 yards, mostly just stationary range, however some moving targets for fun though. It is not going to be a service rifle, unless the world collapse and I need it, but she will be a pig to carry around.

NOW FOR THE QUESTION: As said, the original plan was to take my .308 varmint and use it, however, I am now wondering if I should go completely custom with a new action and barrel and build something for even longer range, such as 300 Win mag or 338 lapua.

If I go this route, I can change my order on the J Allen as it is not built yet, use all the goodies for the custom build, however the J Allen is built for a rem 700 action (Long or short), so I would need an custom action that fits Rem 700.

I guess I am just curious if the 308 will do all the gear justice, or if I should go for something a bit bigger and custom, then just throw a McMillan or more traditional stock on the 308. (Nothing against 308, I still fully believe it is one of the most useful rounds ever created..that and 270 for all my hunting needs)

So, the million dollar question: <span style="font-weight: bold">what would YOU do</span> (you know much more than I do)?

Re: New Build - Opinions Please

I think you've got a good plan there. You should always have a go-to precision 308. It's cheaper to shoot, easy to get ammo for and reload, and won't beat the crap out of you during a long day of banging steel. Once you get that 308 figured out, then you can decide between a 300 WM or a 338 LM, either of which will cost you much more to shoot.

The 308 is a great round, which is why so many people use it. Maybe someday you'll want to get a 260 or 6.5CM to squeeze the most of out the short action, non-magnum receiver you have. But for now, I'd stick with the 308. Have you started reloading yet? That's got to be on your list as well.

Re: New Build - Opinions Please

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you've got a good plan there. You should always have a go-to precision 308. It's cheaper to shoot, easy to get ammo for and reload, and won't beat the crap out of you during a long day of banging steel. Once you get that 308 figured out, then you can decide between a 300 WM or a 338 LM, either of which will cost you much more to shoot.

The 308 is a great round, which is why so many people use it. Maybe someday you'll want to get a 260 or 6.5CM to squeeze the most of out the short action, non-magnum receiver you have. But for now, I'd stick with the 308. Have you started reloading yet? That's got to be on your list as well. </div></div>

Yes, I have been reloading for a few years now, and I have a LOT of 308 supplies (brass, 175gr Matchkings, etc), which is one of the reasons I was headed that way. I have nothing for 300 or 338 right now. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.