• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing new build project doesnt feed

PaulStafford

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hi all,

I am new to the game, and need some advice on what to do next. I bought a Stiller TAC300(.300wm) that I had my local gunsmith bolt into an XLR chassis(along with a Timney trigger) by my local gunsmith. The excellent XLR chassis uses AI magazines. Unfortunately, when I got the assembled rifle home it didn't feed from the magazine. The round jams when it's moved about 1/2" forward. The Stiller action works smoothly without shells in the magazine. I can manually load shells into the action, and they eject fine. The TAC300 is Rem 700 action compatible, as is the XLR, so they should work together.

I had thought to save some money and time by going this route instead of using an integrating gunsmith like Gradous. Now of course, each manufacturer has made exactly what they promised, and I love both parts. But there's something wrong with the way they work together...

I will take it to my local gunsmith for his look see, but he's out this week. I was hoping that there was perhaps some experience with this combination, or other ideas out there I could try.

feeling a little sick...

Re: new build project doesnt feed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought those had some sort of adjustment for the magwell. Kyle of course will know what to do. </div></div>

That'd be my guess, is it binding against the action's factory feedlips?

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all,

I am new to the game, and need some advice on what to do next. I bought a Stiller TAC300(.300wm) that I had my local gunsmith bolt into an XLR chassis(along with a Timney trigger) by my local gunsmith. The excellent XLR chassis uses AI magazines. Unfortunately, when I got the assembled rifle home it didn't feed from the magazine. The round jams when it's moved about 1/2" forward. The Stiller action works smoothly without shells in the magazine. I can manually load shells into the action, and they eject fine. The TAC300 is Rem 700 action compatible, as is the XLR, so they should work together.

I had thought to save some money and time by going this route instead of using an integrating gunsmith like Gradous. Now of course, each manufacturer has made exactly what they promised, and I love both parts. But there's something wrong with the way they work together...

I will take it to my local gunsmith for his look see, but he's out this week. I was hoping that there was perhaps some experience with this combination, or other ideas out there I could try.

feeling a little sick...</div></div>

I recommend contacting Stiller directly (he's a member here) and getting to the bottom of the issue. i know there have been some issues lately and I am sure he is more than willing to fix them all.

yes, the round stops as the bullet is rising on the feed ramp.

I'll drop a line to Russ at Stiller as well.

I didn't know there were mag well adjustments. Kyle hasn't mentioned them. I don't see them, but that doesn't mean they're not there
smile.gif

dieselten
is there a spec for this ?
When the bolt first touches the cartridge, it is engaging the top 1/8" only. That's enough to move it, of course.

If the mag is too high, the bolt will hit it, but it sounds like there's room for it to come up.

thats what Robert Gradous told me this morning.
I understand adjustment needed is usually very slight.
I may end up sending it to him if my local smith doesnt have experience with AI mags in this area.

If you don't mind a wee drive, contact Mike Bush @ Underground Skunkworks in C. Falls. He's a member here and I'm sure he can fix you up without having to send anything off.

John

Is the bolt riding up over the rear of the case rim as the ogive of the bullet starts up the feed ramp. If so, then it sounds like the mag is sitting a little low. You should try widening the feed lips of the mag a few thousandths and see if this helps. Measure the width beforehand so that you can return it to spec if it doesn't work.

Hope you get it running.

BLK7

Hi all

Thanks for all the help- this group is great. Robert Gradous was nice enough to walk me through some measurements over the phone this morning. He felt the mag was at the right height, and agrees with the rest of you that the mag feed lips need adjusting. He suggested a tool from HL Precision to do this, but I will feel better taking it to someone with experience.

I'll be taking it to Mike Bush at Undergound Skunkworks next week since he's within sort of easy driving distance (2+30), and see if he can square it away.

I'll report back late next week.

PS BLK7- yes, it rides over sometimes, and other times it simply jams. Given the fact that when the mag is empty you can see the bolt riding just over the mag lips, the mag couldn't be any higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend contacting Stiller directly (he's a member here) and getting to the bottom of the issue. i know there have been some issues lately and I am sure he is more than willing to fix them all. </div></div>

I think the mag is too low or the lips are in need of adjustment. I can think of nothing in the action that would cause this.

By the way, I dont know of "some issues lately". What are you referring to???

If the mag is sitting high enough the lips are just shy of dragging on the bottom of the bolt, then the mag lips need to be tweaked to allow the round to sit a little higher and be presented to the lip of the bolt.

If there's a gap between the mag lips and the bolt, then the mag is sitting too low and needs to be raised, either by using a longer mag catch or reducing the length of the pillars.

Ok,so i've installed a number of companies' DBM's...From my experiance these are the most likely problems:if the mag is too high up,typically the feed lips of the mag will stop the bolt from closing or just bind the bolt up from being able to move front to back,cycling,etc.If the mag is too low,it will miss the top round in the magazine.On a side note,if the rear of the mag can still clear the bolt and the bolt can catch the rear of the case to push the round forward, but the tip is getting caught under the edge of the feed ramp,most likely the front of the mag is too low.The magazine needs to seat pretty snug against the actions factory feedlips,if the mag is too low in the front or rear of the magazine,the magazine may not feed properly.I like to take the action out and test the action bolts' length with the DBM installed w/magazine while out of the stock to see if the action with the new DBM will feed correctly.In your case of the XLR stock.I would basically open the bolt and place a loaded magazine into the chassis and before trying to close the bolt try to feed the top round with your finger and physically see if it is getting caught up on something.then go from there.hope this might help.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.

As I mentioned, I will be taking it up to Mike Bush at Underground Skunkworks in Kalispell sometime later this week. Mike was kind enough to offer his help (and this right after a shop move!)and I do not feel skilled or experienced enough to do it right.

Most here feel the magazine lips need adjusting. I would agree. The bolt rides just above the empty mag(mag couldn't be any higher), and the bolt outer body engages the cartridge base fine (mag shouldn't be any lower). Which is good, because there is no "bottom metal" to be adjusted - AI mag compatibility is integral to the XLR chassis.

I do want to reiterate as I did when I first posted that I am very happy with with both components. The XLR fits me perfectly and is well-made. The Stiller TAC 300 action works smoothly, and they did a beautiful job chambering and mating the Lilja SS barrel. The service and customer care both offered during the manufacturing process was awesome (I think I exchanged 35 emails with Russ at Stiller, and his responsiveness was impressive). Kyle at XLR was also easy to work with, and has been engaged ever since. It would not be fair to hold either responsible for the interaction of their components with a third party component and I do not. That's the responsibility I assumed when ordering the parts as I did.

I'll post here after I've been up there. Fingers crossed!

Paul,
Give me a call tomorrow (406-892-1850) and we can coordinate our schedules. The new shop is up and running and I should be able to knock this out for you pretty quickly. Thanks....

FYI Paul,last try is to bend the feed lips at the front out so slightly,by doing this you'll notice it tilt the front of the bullet up torward the chamber and in alignment witht the feed ramp of the action,this works great too.Hope you figure it out.

~Reagan

I gotta say that I'm always impressed with the professionalism that is displayed by many of the fine company's, and the average Joe that inhabit this forum. If the rest of the world had the same values of these gentleman we would all sleep a little better.