• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New build to stretch a little distance

NotBotvinnik

Shooter of things
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2021
Louisiana
Hi everyone-

So after a long wait I’m almost finished putting together a new rifle to try and get out a little further than I can with the old creedmoors. I’m new to long range shooting but I’ve most definitely caught the sickness. I won’t be competing and this is a fun-gun only.

What I put together…

Lone Peak Fuzion
Hawk Hill 7.7 twist finished @ 27” 6.5prc
Foundation Centurion stock
Hawkins Brake

From the the numbers I’ve run I’m figuring to get 3000fps with 153.5 Berger hybrids or 153 A-tips without pushing it too hard.

What kind of distance should that rig be good for assuming I can do my part?

Thanks in advance- Sal

Do your part ? I've regularly shot 243win to a mile, and 223rem to 1km. Sooooo, whatever you want ?

Rather than having a super duper sports car, or a drag car with a rego plate and say "hey guys, how fast can I go with my current setup ?". Why not go and shoot it and say "hey guys, I went this far with my current setup, how cool is that !!".

Not trying to kick you in the guts or big note myself, I'm saying get out and shoot and let us know how you did, which I expect to be more that you think.

Run the numbers in the ballistic app. But you will be good out to 1 mile plus. Just find a good solid load with low SD and go shoot and find out how it performs and how you do. Them more you shoot at distance the easier it becomes

Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven’t got it finished just yet but I expect to in the next couple of weeks. I was just trying to get a realistic idea of what kind of distance that cartridge with those numbers could or should be good for. I’ll be sure to post up the results when I get her running.

-Sal

Screenshot_2021-09-19-14-29-26-47.jpg

153gr Berger @3000fps. Do you have a scope which can do 30mil / 100moa dial from zero at 100m ??

Theory is 2000m, or about ,2200y before it starts hurting.

Thanks so much-
The rail on the action has a 20moa cant built in and the scope is a Leupold MK5 5-25 or 7-35 depending on which one I can find first with the PR2 reticle

A cheats way is to run offset rings with cant in them.

Zero at 100m, do your thing. Then wind the scope turret backwards, find out how much off the bottom of the scope travel you are. You can get custom rings to suit.

However Leupold mk5hd are 35mm rings, which will limit you a bit. I use the 7-35x CCH and love it.

I find after 2000 yards spotting the 6.5’s can get pretty interesting in my local conditions.
In good conditions you can definitely get further with two miles certainly a possibility.

Forward observers about 700m from the target. Off to the side a bit, or behind some natural feature like a tree or rock, or a car. Works well.