• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Bushnell Forge "Secret" Option

Mongoose67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado
I have been a Leupold owner for most of my life (also still have some classic Redfield). Most recently I have the VX-3i. I always thought of Bushnell as a budget brand (think childhood 22). Earlier this year I picked up a Bushnell DMR II on sale for $600ish on Midway and really fell in love with the quality, glass and turrets. I like it so much, it replaced a Vortex PST Gen II. I am now a believer in the higher end Bushnell scopes.

There are some new great scopes for a bargain price from Bushnell which were originally designed for the European market. These are the new Bushnell Forge from South Korea. Recent Bushnell Forge scopes available in the US were Chinese scopes with 30 MM tubes however some earlier ones were reportedly made in South Korea. These also had 30MM tubes. They have received good reviews overall. The Korean Forge scopes come with 34MM tubes and ED Prime Glass. This is the same glass found in their DMR III optics. The optical quality is excellent and beats the pants off the Vortex Viper PSTs and the Chinese Forge scopes. The turrets and zero stops are also great. The one thing of note is the turrets are marked in CM rather than MIL. This really isn't an issue since the measure the same. I bought the Forge 2-16x50, there is also a 3-24x56 and a 1-8x30. The scope offers an Germin 4i reticle which is illuminated. They can be bought on ebay for $549 the Bushnell site offers the 1-8x30 as well. You can identify them as they are the only Bushnell Forge scopes with the German 4i reticle and the 34MM tubes and an amazing 8x power range.

Took it to the range today for the first time and it shot and tracked well. The glass is crystal clear edge to edge. Nice scope.

Last edited:
To date all Bushnell Forge scopes available in the US were Chinese scopes with 30 MM tubes. They have received good reviews overall. The Korean Forge scopes come with 34MM tubes and ED Prime Glass.

Some of your facts are wrong. The original Bushnell Forge 2.5-15 and 4.5-27 FFP were 30mm Korean scopes (I own one).

Interesting. Everything I have seen said China.

That change was made somewhere between 2018-2020. I even have seen and own some of their cheap prime and nitro scopes that were made in Korea before they changed over. The Korean ones beat the new chinese significantly in every dimension.

That change was made somewhere between 2018-2020. I even have seen and own some of their cheap prime and nitro scopes that were made in Korea before they changed over. The Korean ones beat the new chinese significantly in every dimension.
This sounds more correct than what the OP is saying. I want to say the Korean 30mm Forges were only made for one year, maybe two. They were very expensive (nearly $1k) before Bushnell re-released them in a new magnification range from a Chinese manufacturer. Like I said, I have one of the 4.5-27 Korean Forges and I prefer it over a PST2 5-25 FFP I had. Only downside is it has a slight tunneling effect, not as bad as the Nitro (I had one of those as well when Midway was blowing them out for $300) but still apparent. In the grand scheme of things the tunnel effect doesn't really make it a "worse" scope, just gives the impression of looking through a toilet paper roll.

Yep. Not everything needs a $2K scope.

are-you-sure-will-ferrel.gif

This sounds more correct than what the OP is saying. I want to say the Korean 30mm Forges were only made for one year, maybe two. They were very expensive (nearly $1k) before Bushnell re-released them in a new magnification range from a Chinese manufacturer. Like I said, I have one of the 4.5-27 Korean Forges and I prefer it over a PST2 5-25 FFP I had. Only downside is it has a slight tunneling effect, not as bad as the Nitro (I had one of those as well when Midway was blowing them out for $300) but still apparent. In the grand scheme of things the tunnel effect doesn't really make it a "worse" scope, just gives the impression of looking through a toilet paper roll.
Have you ever compared the quality between the Chinese Forge and Korean Forge?

Last edited:
I updated my post. The 4.5-27x50 was also made in China. This article from 2018 notes all the Forge scopes were being made in China. I take your word for your experience, I just haven't read that anywhere.

Debating between the 3-24 & 2-16 for an SPR-ish build. Since they're priced & weigh almost the same, any real downside to getting the higher mag scope? The barrel is an 18 inch Strike Industries that I bought from Primary Arms when they were blowing them out. Not expecting anything phenomenal from it so this scope should be good 'nuff.

Debating between the 3-24 & 2-16 for an SPR-ish build. Since they're priced & weigh almost the same, any real downside to getting the higher mag scope? The barrel is an 18 inch Strike Industries that I bought from Primary Arms when they were blowing them out. Not expecting anything phenomenal from it so this scope should be good 'nuff.
Glass is the same. With the 3-24 you loose FOV and increase weight. I chose the 2-16 because it was going on a M1A. If you are using it for benchrest shooting or long distance shooting 3-24 should work fine. For hunting you would want the lighter scope with wider FOV.

Reactions: JS8588
Glass is the same. With the 3-24 you loose FOV and increase weight. I chose the 2-16 because it was going on a M1A. If you are using it for benchrest shooting or long distance shooting 3-24 should work fine. For hunting you would want the lighter scope with wider FOV.
The weight difference is like 1.5oz. FOV is worth consideration, though. I'm taking a drive up to EuroOptic on Wednesday to take a look at both in person.

Paycheck came through this morning & I couldn't help myself. Ordered the 3-24. Free returns if I don't like it & less than $600 shipped. Why not? I'll post my impressions here once it's in. Only my 2nd scope purchase so far.

Got mine in and initial impressions are mostly good. Glass is way better than my Meopta Optika6 which itself is good for the price point. Given the magnification range, I'm surprised at how good the eye relief/eyebox is. Now the "bad". The illumination is not daylight bright. Compared to my Optika6, the Meopta comes out on top. Also, instead of a point of light at the center of the reticle, it's a little ball, which is also etched. So if you're looking for a precision aiming point, this scope isn't for you. Given the build I'm putting it on is basically an experimental long(er) range DMR-ish setup, this scope will work just fine.

Reactions: Ldecker81
Got mine in and initial impressions are mostly good. Glass is way better than my Meopta Optika6 which itself is good for the price point. Given the magnification range, I'm surprised at how good the eye relief/eyebox is. Now the "bad". The illumination is not daylight bright. Compared to my Optika6, the Meopta comes out on top. Also, instead of a point of light at the center of the reticle, it's a little ball, which is also etched. So if you're looking for a precision aiming point, this scope isn't for you. Given the build I'm putting it on is basically an experimental long(er) range DMR-ish setup, this scope will work just fine.
How big is the center dot “ball” as you called it, sounds huge. I can’t find any info on the reticle size. I’m interested in the 3-24 for a 22lr rifle tat spends its days at the range

How big is the center dot “ball” as you called it, sounds huge. I can’t find any info on the reticle size. I’m interested in the 3-24 for a 22lr rifle tat spends its days at the range
About the same thickness as the Outer lines or 3x the thickness of the thinner inner lines.

Interesting find. If it helps, this is a pic from the ebay listing. It's marked 11-18 above the barcodes. Presumably the manufacture date.

s-l1600.jpg

Made in South Korea so, no problem.
Wow, that was quick. Yeah I'm ok with the south Koreans .. except for the wholesale sanctioning of dog meat farms...but other than that. . . At least they're not actively seeking our destruction.

And no, I was really just talking as a general point. There was a whole lot back and forth about where it was made. But at least they're not actively trying to unthrone the free world.

What REALLY struck me though, and I would like to ask you about .....
Does the Forge REALLY has better glass than an Optika6 ?!

Wow, that was quick. Yeah I'm ok with the south Koreans .. except for the wholesale sanctioning of dog meat farms...but other than that. . . At least they're not actively seeking our destruction.

And no, I was really just talking as a general point. There was a whole lot back and forth about where it was made. But at least they're not actively trying to unthrone the free world.

What REALLY struck me though, and I would like to ask you about .....
Does the Forge REALLY has better glass than an Optika6 ?!
I don’t know if the glass is better on either one, but I do have an interesting email from Meopta about country of origin. Last year I bought a optika6 4.5-27 and was curious to it’s place of manufacturing. There was a lot of love for the optika6 here on the hide, with the DLO having designed one of the reticles for the 5-30 model I believe. Most people assumed the optika6 line was manufactured in the Czech Republic, but nowhere on my optic or packaging stated it’s origin so I emailed Meopta . They replied that in order to offer the optika6 line at its incredible price point Meopta chose to manufacture the line in Asia. He wouldn’t say where exactly but he did say if I was interested in a Czech built scope, they offer higher quality lines. I just thought that was interesting and figured I’d share it here.

Reactions: carolinahunter
I don’t know if the glass is better on either one, but I do have an interesting email from Meopta about country of origin. Last year I bought a optika6 4.5-27 and was curious to it’s place of manufacturing. There was a lot of love for the optika6 here on the hide, with the DLO having designed one of the reticles for the 5-30 model I believe. Most people assumed the optika6 line was manufactured in the Czech Republic, but nowhere on my optic or packaging stated it’s origin so I emailed Meopta . They replied that in order to offer the optika6 line at its incredible price point Meopta chose to manufacture the line in Asia. He wouldn’t say where exactly but he did say if I was interested in a Czech built scope, they offer higher quality lines. I just thought that was interesting and figured I’d share it here.
WOW! It's amazing that you got that out of them.... I suppose you were speaking to Erik? I have a proposed m98[a1] build, proposed with a 3-18x50 Optika6... I wish they would just come out and say it, but I believe if it turned out to be chinese, I would be absolutely heartbroken.

My spidey senses have been telling me for months not to put that scope on there...citing that the cost ratio of the rifle / scope wouldnt be equitable.

I will plan for the MeoStar line now, I guess... I guess I'll try to forget that I heard this, for now. ...but it won't be the same. Then I guess that also means that the optika5 is made over there, as well.. and to think that outlets have had the nerve to raise those prices up to nearly $500. That horrible.

I don't see why some of these companies wouldn't move production, and/or contact manufacturing in South America? At least those people aren't sitting down to a German pointer on their plate, no matter how poor they are. AND, it would help stop the flood at the border.. Not to mention, they actually know what the word conservation means. And before anyone says they don't have the means, nor the technology; don't. They make whole cars, firearms, etc... At least it would keep the transfer of technology in this hemisphere.

All these companies, marketing products, with their prime base, being supposed Patriots... And all these so called Patriots, blindly; yet directly supporting an enemy country.

~~"theres nothing quite like turning to communists to feed our capitalistisms.."
~Boom

Tomas Rocek, the marketing project manager is whom I spoke with. I was surprised he was as candid as he was, though he wasn’t specific about location.

As an update, to tell you how well I liked the 3-24, I just ordered a 1-8 for a 7.62x39 build. These were finally disco'd. After my purchase, the guy on Ebay has 5 left. Still has a good number of the 2-16s in stock. If you're thinking about it, just go ahead and order one. You'll definitely have spent more on less.

Reactions: Mongoose67
FYI, Natchez has the 2.5-15 version for sale at $379. Use coupons to drop it down to $350 before tax and shipping.

First impression is it a lot of scope for $375. Glass is good on par with my XRS II and plenty for Alabama hunting. The illum dot is day bright and easy to pick up.

The confusing part of the scope for me, the top of the turret reads 1 click = 0.05 Mil but the turret has 10 marks and clicks to the 1 value. So does the 1 value represent 0.5 Mils or is the top label wrong?

IMG_0258.jpeg

FYI, Natchez has the 2.5-15 version for sale at $379. Use coupons to drop it down to $350 before tax and shipping.

First impression is it a lot of scope for $375. Glass is good on par with my XRS II and plenty for Alabama hunting. The illum dot is day bright and easy to pick up.

The confusing part of the scope for me, the top of the turret reads 1 click = 0.05 Mil but the turret has 10 marks and clicks to the 1 value. So does the 1 value represent 0.5 Mils or is the top label wrong?

View attachment 8168958
Chinese or South Korea? What are the current discount codes?

South Korea. Looks like the code is no longer active but I’m sure another 10% off will be here for the 4th. Also found my answer here (link below). It’s a solid deal if the mismatch turret doesn’t bother you.

Reactions: Scopeye