• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New caliber and rifle, great first results

Average guy

Low IQ truth teller
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 25, 2018
    I just put together a 6xc. It a 700 Remington with a criterion barrel and a Bergara bmp chassis. First trip to the range was good. Tried 115 DTACS with RL16 and RL23. Great results with 38.5 of RL23 and various loads of RL16. Any 6xc advice is welcomed
    4DB76A97-FC3F-49D3-B46F-8E2010F0F376.jpeg
    1859FA56-C55F-425B-B052-A50997697E95.jpeg
    119E98C2-8552-4C64-8806-786C881673C4.jpeg
    4DB9F0B2-2A57-41CC-AF69-CA9235AA709D.jpeg

I’m going to crono the same loads on Monday. I was shooting at a different range and didn’t get that data. More or less just threw some loads together to see how the barrel was going to shoot. It had 180 rounds down it when I bought it so I figured it was broke in.

Reactions: EN2722
    I’m going to crono the same loads on Monday. I was shooting at a different range and didn’t get that data. More or less just threw some loads together to see how the barrel was going to shoot. It had 180 rounds down it when I bought it so I figured it was broke in.

That’s awesome! I also have a Criterion Remage barrel in 308 however, due to this Corona Virus all the ranges are closed ??

Reactions: Average guy
    That’s awesome! I also have a Criterion Remage barrel in 308 however, due to this Corona Virus all the ranges are closed ??
    I had to shoot at a range I don’t normally use. This covid stuff is cramping my style for sure

The targets are compelling. Might be advantageous to explore a projectile that does more than harvest the wily paperbeast.

For your consideration.

Greg
    I would like to work up a hunting load. Be a great antelope rifle. I’m really liking the 6xc chambering. Seems simple to load for.

Right now, I'm working with the 6.5 Grendel and the Speer 6.5 120gr Gold Dot in both 20" and 24" AR versions. The 24" broke its extractor because I had paid too much attention to pressure signs and not enough to published load limits. I further decided that the extra 4" also prolonged pressure dwell time, and contributed to the failure.

I have a spare 20" barrel, identical to the one that's already mounted.

I'm starting over from scratch on load development, adding 8208XBR and TAC to the propellants, and will be taking off the 24", replacing it with the spare 20". This simplifies load development by a factor of two.

The 24" will have its day, but that's not any time soon. For now, it's going on an extended vacation.

I believe the 6.5 Grendel is a special case, where mandated bolt face/extractor modification have limited its useful pressure band. It's a great round, and I intend to find its actual potential in my gun(s).

But one has to understand one's limits.

Greg

Right now, I'm working with the 6.5 Grendel and the Speer 6.5 120gr Gold Dot in both 20" and 24" AR versions. The 24" broke its extractor because I had paid too much attention to pressure signs and not enough to published load limits. I further decided that the extra 4" also prolonged pressure dwell time, and contributed to the failure.

I have a spare 20" barrel, identical to the one that's already mounted.

I'm starting over from scratch on load development, adding 8208XBR and TAC to the propellants, and will be taking off the 24", replacing it with the spare 20". This simplifies load development by a factor of two.

The 24" will have its day, but that's not any time soon. For now, it's going on an extended vacation.

I believe the 6.5 Grendel is a special case, where mandated bolt face/extractor modification have limited its useful pressure band. It's a great round, and I intend to find its actual potential in my gun(s).

But one has to understand one's limits.

Greg
    I’ve always wondered about the grendel. I’m not much of an AR guy but the round has always been interesting.

What did you average for muzzle velocity? Nice looking rig btw
    Today I shot for velocity. The 38.5 of RL23 with a 115 dtac was an average velocity of 2830 with an SD of 8.5. 37.8 grains of RL16 yielded 2928 with an SD of 9.2. Interesting enough 38.

Today I shot for velocity. The 38.5 of RL23 with a 115 dtac was an average velocity of 2830 with an SD of 8.5. 37.8 grains of RL16 yielded 2928 with an SD of 9.2. Interesting enough 38.

Nice! With all this time on my hands lately, all it's done is allow me more time to cruise the interwebs. I've been eyeing the 6XC caliber, which is why I asked!

Great work and I'm interested in following this through your load development. Thanks for the info!

Nice! With all this time on my hands lately, all it's done is allow me more time to cruise the interwebs. I've been eyeing the 6XC caliber, which is why I asked!

Great work and I'm interested in following this through your load development. Thanks for the info!
    I’m really liking the 6xc so far. Seems super easy to reload for. When I get a 115 load nailed down then I’ll probably try some Barnes 112. I also have a 500 pack of 105 Hornady match that will probably find their way down the barrel.

I’m really liking the 6xc so far. Seems super easy to reload for. When I get a 115 load nailed down then I’ll probably try some Barnes 112. I also have a 500 pack of 105 Hornady match that will probably find their way down the barrel.

Nice! I have been reading that within the 6mm community there are people who swear by the 105/107 grainer's and then there are people who swear by the 115's.

I would be curious to see how they all shake out.

Nice! I have been reading that within the 6mm community there are people who swear by the 105/107 grainer's and then there are people who swear by the 115's.

I would be curious to see how they all shake out.
    I’ve had good luck with both in my 6cm rifles. That being said I’m liking the xc better than my creedmoor rifles as far as load development goes.

I chose the 6.5 Grendel after a couple of years of coveting a 260 AR-10 platform. They were all too expensive.

So my thinking slowly (...very...) evolved to look at other 6.5 AR chamberings, and the 6.5 Grendel became quite appealing. I dove in with both feet, buying an AR Stoner Type II Upper, a spare barrel for that, and did a sporter build using AR Stoner components, including a 24" Stoner barrel

Both Uppers ended up with dedicated, very basic PSA PA-15 EPT lowers, upgraded with PSA Nickel Boron two Stage triggers, and AR Stoner Bolt release extensions.

For such projects, stressing affordability; I believe the PSA PA-15 EPT lowers are an admirable starting point.

I did load development using various Hornady bullets, W-748 loads from the Hornady manual, and tried some Wolf WPA and Hornady ammunition for benchmarking/comparison purposes. I wasn't getting very far, so I looked at he pressure signs on the fired cases, made a (bad) decision, and started exploring loads above the Hornady recommended loads. Broke the extractor, first shot, first increment above book max. Classic reloading error.

Looked at the results, thought them through; and decided to shelve the 24" barrel, replacing the extractor with the JP Improved version. We now stand where the previous post reported.

I think the 6.5 Grendel is an outstanding AR chambering, and has even better potential in a bolt gun (...some day...). I would recommend it to an experienced reloader. I am continuing with development on the front burner; older and hopefully wiser.

Greg

Last edited:
    I chose the 6.5 Grendel after a couple of years of coveting a 260 AR-10 platform. They were all too expensive.

So my thinking slowly (...very...) evolved to look at other 6.5 AR chamberings, and the 6.5 Grendel became quite appealing. I dove in with both feet, buying an AR Stoner Type II Upper, a spare barrel for that, and did a sporter build using AR Stoner components, including a 24" Stoner barrel

Both Uppers ended up with dedicated, very basic PSA PA-15 EPT lowers, upgraded with PSA Nickel Boron two Stage triggers, and AR Stoner Bolt release extensions.

For such projects, stressing affordability; I believe the PSA PA-15 EPT lowers are an admirable starting point.

I did load development using various Hornady bullets, W-748 loads from the Hornady manual, and tried some Wolf WPA and Hornady ammunition for benchmarking/comparison purposes. I wasn't getting very far, so I looked at he pressure signs on the fired cases, made a (bad) decision, and started exploring loads above the Hornady recommended loads. Broke the extractor, first shot, first increment above book max. Classic reloading error.

Looked at the results, thought them through; and decided to shelve the 24" barrel, replacing the extractor with the JP Improved version. We now stand where the previous post reported.

I think the 6.5 Grendel is an outstanding AR chambering, and has even better potential in a bolt gun (...some day...). I would recommend it to an experienced reloader. I am continuing with development on the front burner; older and hopefully wiser.

Greg
    I’ve always thought that the grendel in bolt gun would be a neat combination. I just seem to always find something else I want more.

What reamer did you use for your 6XC? Thanks.

What sizing die are you using?

One thing about my criterion 6xc barrels and my forster reloading dies.

• First barrel I had lots of norma brass as it was my comp gun so I only ever got up to 7 firings on them all before the barrel was toast.
    • So I put on the second barrel and noticed bolt clickers with that same old norma brass after its next and 8th firing; aka the base of the case was too large. I chalked that up to not following the new barrel-new brass motto. BUT the new batch of 100 peterson cases I bought for it was clicker free, just like the old norma was, right up until its 8th firing as well. I took careful notes on each firing of this brass and noticed that the base wasnt getting sized much if at all, it just took more firings on the brass for it to manifest itself as an actual issue.

Criterion Chamber, .470 base
    1586354077406.png

A Tubb 6xc chamber, .470 base
    1586354307922.png

Proper 6xcII chamber, .4714 base
    1586354131969.png

So I am guessing that the forster die is cut for somehting more like the 6xcII chambering than the original 6xc chambering. Tubb even notes as much on his website
    1586354604723.png

I was skeptical of it for a couple years because I didnt get enough firings on my old brass and barrel so I never functionally encountered the problem.

So to summarize, take notes of the case dimensions on each firing and see if you can watch that base growing.

I have a PVA small base only sizer that should be here soon, Im hoping that it will work like envision and it knocks the base down a thousandth and I can burn this barrel out clicker free. If not and I have to buy a second sizing die in the tubb to make it work Ill probably move on from 6xc after this barrel to something that doesnt have two different chamber generations/parent cases.

My 6.5 Grendel bolt gun preference is the Ruger American Rifle Predator 6.5 Grendel. The stock isn't my favorite design, but the platform is convenient, especially since it would appear to support the AR style 6.5 Grendel magazines I already possess.

I'm interested in the bolt gun option because I suspect the larger cartridge base diameter mandates mods to the AR bolt face that significantly limits the velocity potential of the cartridge. For now, with the AR, I am content to accept those limitations because I have a very nifty 260 bolt rifle onhand to fulfill any higher asperations.

Greg

Last edited:
    What sizing die are you using?

One thing about my criterion 6xc barrels and my forster reloading dies.

• First barrel I had lots of norma brass as it was my comp gun so I only ever got up to 7 firings on them all before the barrel was toast.
    • So I put on the second barrel and noticed bolt clickers with that same old norma brass after its next and 8th firing; aka the base of the case was too large. I chalked that up to not following the new barrel-new brass motto. BUT the new batch of 100 peterson cases I bought for it was clicker free, just like the old norma was, right up until its 8th firing as well. I took careful notes on each firing of this brass and noticed that the base wasnt getting sized much if at all, it just took more firings on the brass for it to manifest itself as an actual issue.

Criterion Chamber, .470 base
    View attachment 7293367

A Tubb 6xc chamber, .470 base
    View attachment 7293370

Proper 6xcII chamber, .4714 base
    View attachment 7293368

So I am guessing that the forster die is cut for somehting more like the 6xcII chambering than the original 6xc chambering. Tubb even notes as much on his website
    View attachment 7293371
    I was skeptical of it for a couple years because I didnt get enough firings on my old brass and barrel so I never functionally encountered the problem.

So to summarize, take notes of the case dimensions on each firing and see if you can watch that base growing.

I have a PVA small base only sizer that should be here soon, Im hoping that it will work like envision and it knocks the base down a thousandth and I can burn this barrel out clicker free. If not and I have to buy a second sizing die in the tubb to make it work Ill probably move on from 6xc after this barrel to something that doesnt have two different chamber generations/parent cases.
    I’m running Redding full length dies,and a Forster seating die. I will definitely keep tabs on the base dimensions. Thanks for the heads up. So far I’m loving the 6xc.

Went out yesterday and stretched the xc out a little. The 38.2 grains of RL16 load was spot on to my ballistic app. 6.9 mils at 1025 yards. 2 shots to get the wind figured out then it was an absolute laser. My son and I both recorded several 4/5 strings at that distance. Moved to a plate at 635 with a 10-12 mph crosswind. One shot to get windage and all hits from there. I’m really liking the caliber and the DTAC bullet. Been some fast load development.

Shot today with my step daughter. Cold bore hit at 633 yards. Dialed to 1025 and confirmed dope. Put my 15 year old behind the gun first shot hit. She went 5/10 with a tricky wind. Moved to a 933 plate and she went 4/5. Awesome caliber and awesome day.

6xc update

my son and I shot today at steel ranging from 282 out to 933. The RL16 DTAC combo is still awesome. Didn’t get a pic but shot a 2 minute group at 400. I’m liking this caliber picture of my son shooting a Barret 50 cal
    75512958-6FC1-4999-B6B3-B39AB6E91BE6.jpeg

Y’all are killing me. When my Vudoo sells it 6xc time for me. I’m leaning heavily towards an exact Tubb spec build. Seems to be that most of the issues with the 6xc are due to straying from the specified path. Not saying it’s the only way, remember I don’t have personal experience with it. Just seems to be the safest bet. So I’ll play it safe and do the paint by numbers 6xc.

Y’all are killing me. When my Vudoo sells it 6xc time for me. I’m leaning heavily towards an exact Tubb spec build. Seems to be that most of the issues with the 6xc are due to straying from the specified path. Not saying it’s the only way, remember I don’t have personal experience with it. Just seems to be the safest bet. So I’ll play it safe and do the paint by numbers 6xc.
    I really like my XC. It has been the simplest load development I have ever done. .020 jump on a 115 DTAC. I use RL16 and truthful all the load I tried were sub moa. Most were around 1/2 moa. I settled on 38.2 grains because it was .4 accurate had an Sd of 8 and decent velocity (2930). It’s been an absolute laser out to 1025 yards. Tubb got it right with the 6xc.

A67E71D1-C1F3-4D8C-AC49-B64C5F127D39.jpeg
    I’ve been shooting my xc at distance as much as weather allows. Took my 14 year old daughter with me today. She had solid hits at 615,860,1025,1050 and went 3-5 at 1195. The xc combined with the 115 DTAC seems to be a great combination. Just enjoying shooting it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: wvlapua and EN2722
    Time passes and plans change.

The 24" Grendel now has the JP Improved Grendel Extractor.

It also has a complete reconfiguration; going from an M4-ish collapsible stock to a Choate E2. This also necessitated a complete replacement of the buffer tube and buffer assembly with A2 parts. The same was also done with the 20" PA-10 308, and with the other 20" Grendel. The spare 20" barrel remains a spare. The 308 now also runs a JP Silent Captured 308 Buffer system.

Incentive bucks and lockdown months/hours enabled this portion of the various projects.

The 24" Grendel has been repurposed to shoot the Speer 90gr TNT.

As of now, the three PSA/Stoner rifles are configured as bag riders; intended solely for bench/range shooting.

Should be interesting.

Greg

Last edited:
    Bow did that pva die work out?
    The bushing was too small. It was sizing down to .461 or so instead of the .465 I was expecting it to do as claimed making it damn near impossible to use.
    And I really needed something like .467-.469 so the .465 was marginal to start with.