• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Cartridge by Vortex, 6.5 BC

6.5? , a little late to the game IMHO, I think Vinnie has it right!
7mm and .257 would be much more interesting!

Hell yeah, launching a 140 at 3400fps. Now thats interesting.

These guys only have 400fps to go.

Are they for real right now? Remember for April Fools one year that did that Bullet Camera thing. Fooled some people! (Maybe even got me)...

What are they saying velocity with 140's will be? Why in the world is anyone doing ANOTHER 6.5mm???

Suddenly I want to sell my Vortex Razors and switch to Nightforce or something.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoyt7mm
Are they for real right now? Remember for April Fools one year that did that Bullet Camera thing. Fooled some people! (Maybe even got me)...

What are they saying velocity with 140's will be? Why in the world is anyone doing ANOTHER 6.5mm???

Suddenly I want to sell my Vortex Razors and switch to Nightforce or something.
Its an adventure in wildcatting, not a product launch. It is a marketing tool to get everyone talking about them, and apparently it is working very well.

Id be happy for them on making a nothing new cartridge if only I could find some of any of there other cartridges on any shelves like the ones i am looking for funny time to make a new one when they can't keep up with the demands of the old ones .

Id be happy for them on making a nothing new cartridge if only I could find some of any of there other cartridges on any shelves like the ones i am looking for funny time to make a new one when they can't keep up with the demands of the old ones .

Apparently RCC has no problem doing custom engraved one off wildcat cartridges in the midst of all this.

Reactions: acudaowner
I am sure they partnered with someone in the ammo business already to make this, but I am not seeing the need for another 6.5 cartridge. We have 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 PRC that cover everything from AR-15 platform to full magnum performance. I would also like to see a 7 PRC (long action magnum launching 180's around 2900-3000 fps from a 24" barrel with a long neck). Basically a beltless, modern 7mm rem mag.

You talking about the 27 nosler?

You talking about the 27 nosler?
No, 28 Nosler would be closer but a little bigger than I had in mind. 270 would work if there was an abundance of heavy bullets, but there is not making 7mm a better choice. Looking for ~80 grains of water capacity to match 7 rem mag, Nosler is at 93. They do not give any data in the video, but the 6.5 BC is probably in this range guessing off of the performance and description in the videos.

No, 28 Nosler would be closer but a little bigger than I had in mind. 270 would work if there was an abundance of heavy bullets, but there is not making 7mm a better choice. Looking for ~80 grains of water capacity to match 7 rem mag, Nosler is at 93. They do not give any data in the video, but the 6.5 BC is probably in this range guessing off of the performance and description in the videos.
The Gunwerks 7 LRM at ~82 grains water capacity is probably close to what you've described, but that has never really caught on outside the niche hunting markets either

Reactions: kyzim311
Started taking elk with a 6.5 in 1994.The cartridge was a 6.5x308 wildcat using Barnes 120gr X bullet. Every year since then my 6.5x08, newer Savage 260 Rem, my decades old 6.5x06 ( pre 6.5 PRC ) or 264 mag has never failed me on my elk harvest . Before 1994 I felt I had to use a 338 mag which worked but had a bit more recoil, really a lot more. Now it just sets. A 6.5 with the proper tough deep penetrating bullet, properly placed works. Has never failed me. Do I need a new 6.5 version ? Don't believe I do, but for those who want one, go for it . It seems giving a cartridge a new catchy name brings about lots of OH's & AHS, wonders for sales but does not perform over what has been around for years. In 1893 the 6.5x55 came out. Some how it has preformed quite well on moose in Scandinavia, & around the world. Yes I have taken elk with a 7 mag & even a 7x57. It came down to the same procedure, a proper bullet properly placed. A good hunting buddy took a very nice elk this season with his 30-06. No splashy name , just proper bullet placement.
That's all it takes with any round. The key is Proper Placement!!!

I know of at least 1 6.5-338lm Improved reamer floating around. Probably need 2 barrels though. 1 for load development, and one for actual hunting

Hi,

Yep, Lapua made and tested the 6.5LM decades ago. Downside was that no projectile could handle and keep up with the speed.
Luckily today with the advancements in projectile knowledge and significantly better barrels....the 6.5LM is in need of a rebirth.

Sincerely,
Theis

I bet it doesn't track. Not sure how you can make a bullet not track but if anyone can so it vortex could. But warranty.

Hi,

Yep, Lapua made and tested the 6.5LM decades ago. Downside was that no projectile could handle and keep up with the speed.
Luckily today with the advancements in projectile knowledge and significantly better barrels....the 6.5LM is in need of a rebirth.

Sincerely,
Theis

See now that would be interesting, what's the velocity on something like that?

WTF, Vortex go big or go home.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis

Turned solids @4000 FPS sounds mighty interesting

If you have the time and money laying around to get new reamers and barrels cut and dies made to to accomplish an extra 150fps (or whatever the improvement is) over a well established alternative then all the more power to you. Again if they sell some to similarly fortunate people, well congrats to them again. No one is harmed by this.

Some guys down here in Australia experimented with a 7CM. Personally I don’t see what it would do that 7mm-08/7mm-08Ai wouldn’t but hey, it was Informative and they did an okay job collecting the data on it and showed how it could be done. If these bloke got some good data from it then at least you can look at it against a similar case type and compare it objectively.

With the reaction in this thread to new 6.5 cartridges I wonder how you all feel about newer 6mm cartridges, say 6gt. Why be upset about more choices? They seem to be coming to every caliber now days

Its an adventure in wildcatting, not a product launch. It is a marketing tool to get everyone talking about them, and apparently it is working very well.
Depsite the antiquated saying, not all press is good press.

Started taking elk with a 6.5 in 1994.The cartridge was a 6.5x308 wildcat using Barnes 120gr X bullet. Every year since then my 6.5x08, newer Savage 260 Rem, my decades old 6.5x06 ( pre 6.5 PRC ) or 264 mag has never failed me on my elk harvest . Before 1994 I felt I had to use a 338 mag which worked but had a bit more recoil, really a lot more. Now it just sets. A 6.5 with the proper tough deep penetrating bullet, properly placed works. Has never failed me. Do I need a new 6.5 version ? Don't believe I do, but for those who want one, go for it . It seems giving a cartridge a new catchy name brings about lots of OH's & AHS, wonders for sales but does not perform over what has been around for years. In 1893 the 6.5x55 came out. Some how it has preformed quite well on moose in Scandinavia, & around the world. Yes I have taken elk with a 7 mag & even a 7x57. It came down to the same procedure, a proper bullet properly placed. A good hunting buddy took a very nice elk this season with his 30-06. No splashy name , just proper bullet placement.
I’m going on cow hunt Sunday wow what a day I have 6.5 prc bergara had Cabeleas mount 20 Mia rail/rings And a x1000 4x16x50 there gun smith must be Dmf no kidding it to 156 Moa clicks anyone had that kind of problem I know cabelas lost my business I call them and there like well I can be bore sited and still not hit paper I did what said 50 yards per spot app 143 eldx should be dead on at 200 it wasn’t is the scope a peice of crap I was shooting of a table with a bag

I’m going on cow hunt Sunday wow what a day I have 6.5 prc bergara had Cabeleas mount 20 Mia rail/rings And a x1000 4x16x50 there gun smith must be Dmf no kidding it to 156 Moa clicks anyone had that kind of problem I know cabelas lost my business I call them and there like well I can be bore sited and still not hit paper I did what said 50 yards per spot app 143 eldx should be dead on at 200 it wasn’t is the scope a peice of crap I was shooting of a table with a bag

Did he actually bore sight? Or just put it atop the rifle? I don’t know how anyone would trust someone at cabelas to do any sort of quality scope mount job but it’s not difficult to do yourself. Get a scope mounting kit. Get rifle level, use a plumb bob at say 20-50 yards and level scope to rifle. Properly torque it down. Bore sight by actually removing the bolt and looking down the barrel while it’s properly supported, acquire target within the barrel. Now adjust scope reticle to what you see in the bore. This will get you on paper and then just make final adjustments. Simply put, do it yourself if you want it done right. Don’t trust some guy at cabelas that has no actual knowledge on the matter.

do you happen to bow hunt and pour concrete?

For those that want a modern case in the 7 mag space. The 6.5rpm necked up to 7mm is within a grain of capacity.
Swamplord on LRH necked up the case for the picture below. As he stated in the thread take .015 taper out of the shoulder and you would pick up another 10ish grains. That would also prove to show less pressure at the case head. That would be damm close to the 7/300win in capacity and performance.
This is the picture he posted, these were just straight neck up no body dimension changes. Obviously the 257rpm is a neck down. All on a standard bolt face.
1608427849475.png

Reactions: gnochi
For those that want a modern case in the 7 mag space. The 6.5rpm necked up to 7mm is within a grain of capacity.
Swamplord on LRH necked up the case for the picture below. As he stated in the thread take .015 taper out of the shoulder and you would pick up another 10ish grains. That would also prove to show less pressure at the case head. That would be damm close to the 7/300win in capacity and performance.
This is the picture he posted, these were just straight neck up no body dimension changes. Obviously the 257rpm is a neck down. All on a standard bolt face.
View attachment 7506514
That 408 and 416 are pretty cool looking!

That 408 and 416 are pretty cool looking!
Swamplord has a bunch of very high horsepower wildcats with the big bullets. Like he said if you push that shoulder out you are at the same capacitiy of the standard H&H length magnums. On a standard boltface I can see myself doing a 30rpm with the aforementioned taper fix. I have way too many 30.06, 270 and 35 Whelan's. I have a springfield and a barrel I think I will order a reamer after the holidays.

This is painful to watch lol "should he be cleaning the tool between cases?" @10:55

Been 3yrs. I can’t find any info newer than 2020