• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Cheek Piece - Updated! Group Buy

Re: New Cheek Piece - Updated!

That looks awesome! Don't thank me thank XLR!

I am gauging interest in another group buy. PM me if anyone wants in.

That looks great John! Mine's supposed to arrive sometime and it'll be going on my Savage McMillan, yours gives me an idea of what it will look like!

Iggy if you do another group buy on the spacers I may be in. I ordered some stuff from McMaster Carr that I'm going to try, and if it works I'll show and tell here. If it doesn't I'm probably going to be in for the spacers and a fill job on two bad holes.

Awesome! If you find a cheaper alternative let us know. I searched everywhere including McMaster and found nothing.

I've got my smith cutting some pillars out of 6061 aluminum, only $25.00. I found the buy one day to late. I will thread them myself I will let you know how it turns out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mr45acp2u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got my smith cutting some pillars out of 6061 aluminum</div></div>

I thought about doing this too. Actually it wouldn't be that hard to get some aluminum rod and drill and tap it on the drill press. My concern was that with the torque required to keep the cantilevered rest from moving and repeated adjustment, the aluminum threads would give way. We had this problem on our Superbike engine cases and had to helicoil almost every fastener.

Let us know how it works.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had this problem on our Superbike engine cases and had to helicoil almost every fastener.</div></div>
Wow, what a pain in the ass! I just had to make ONE helicoil for a bike I'm building last weekend and that was enough for me. I can't imagine the time it would take to do everything on the case.

Got my cheek piece from Kyle today, and he is a great guy! I'm still waiting on the hardware I want to try from McMaster Carr though, so I won't be able to start this project until next week when I get back from MO.

I hinted at something I'm going to try to Iggy above, but the jist of it is I'm going to try and make a loose hole with spacers and a tool and die compression spring to have a "reverse" tension on it. The main point being to just loosen the screw/bolt combo to relieve the tension holding the piece in place, adjust it as necessary, then tighten it back up with the spring providing enough tension to hold it in place.

If it works, it won't be a cheaper alternative to the spacers Iggy did the buy on, and it'll mean a decent bit more material comes out of the holes in the stock, but it should work a little smoother than loosening/tightening both bolts to hold the piece to the stock.

Anyways, if you wanted to skip reading that mumbo jumbo, I'll get a mock-up made first in wood. If it works, or even if it doesn't, I'll post some pics up so improvements can be suggested.

That was the dilemma I faced since the bolts are steel. This is potentially a piece that will have a lot of tightening and loosening so if you over tighten or strip the spacers you're SOL.

Plus the spacers are small so the weight of SS is negligible.

I've been real busy at work to get another group buy going. My machinist might have to up the charge a few bucks because it took more time to make them than he anticipated. So the next run might be more expensive.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Ok guys, I talked to my machinist yesterday and he's is getting some CNC machines. This will hopefully either bring the price down or make them available without a group buy.

He told me he wants to pick them up this weekend if the weather permits, but I don't know for sure when this is going to happen.

Is everyone willing to wait a month? Or is there enough interested now for another run?

Well, I had a few issues today so I didn't get my hardware done, but I took pictures of the basics of what it will look like.

I started off with these:

IMG_2421.jpg

XLR cheek piece, 2x 1/4d" screws with 3/4d" knurled heads, 2x 3/4d" knurled nuts, and 2x die springs.

I then made 2 sleeves(total of 4 will be made) out of 3/4" aluminum round stock. I plan on making the final version out of stainless so it will stand up to the die spring better.

The sleeves will go into appropriately sized holes drilled on each side of the stock. This picture shows a "looking through" kind of shot.

IMG_2423.jpg

Although I didn't get it finished, I wanted to take a few skeleton pictures of how the cheek piece will look on the screw system.

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

I wanted to build it like this for one reason: simplicity. Although it's been a PITA for me to do(on a 7x10 mini lathe no less) once it's done I won't have to worry about finding any sort of wrench to adjust the cheek piece, which is the major purpose of the die springs. With basic testing on the cheek piece, the loosened screw allows adjustment fairly easy, while tightened against the force of the die spring, it didn't want to move at all.

This is just version 1 though. Now that I'm not frying my brain over the lathe, I don't know why I didn't make the sleeves to where the spring is always contained on the inside, as it would have been much easier to do all around, from the lathe work all the way to the stock drilling. Needless to say after that little kernel, I'll be making the second screw sleeve like that and when I get pictures I'll update this post. With luck I'll have spare time in class tomorrow to do so.

Unfortunately, it took me ruining one of the die springs to figure out the best way to cut it, so I may not get this finished until I can find somewhere to get a new one locally or until I get one from McMaster Carr.

ETA: The extra screw length will be cut off as well. I'm just waiting until closer to the end just in case I botch that too.

I had actually planned on counter-sinking the hole in the stock to where the sleeves were flush with the stock's surface, allowing the option of leaving a roughed outer surface so it could be bedded in place.

Actual fabrication brought design insight though. I am going to do my best to get the new version done tomorrow in class, but think of it like an adjustable leg with two push buttons. There will be one main sleeve, then the two pieces like those shown will contain the spring, with the screw going through the whole piece. This will allow cheaper material cost, as the die springs were the worst part of the whole bill. It started out at around $25, but with doing it the new way I think it'll cut itself down from using less die spring material.

It'll be easier shown than said though.

This is a great find, I may be getting into a T5, but really need some height as I run my "A" stocks pretty high.

I will definitely be calling Kyle if the deal goes through on the stock!

I'm getting a little tired of trying to get my stock pack just right. That an having to take it off to remove the bolt like jrob said.

I think it would be cool if you can shape this cheek piece to match the top of the stock instead of have it round.
I have a Karsten on another rifle and that round shape pushes me away from my scope a little. If you could angle the sides in and have a flat top like the top of jrob's stock I think it would work better and look better.

If that aluminum is pretty strong it would be a moot point though.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Update - more fiddling with my stock pack and it is now freaking perfect. I think. Unless I find something wrong down the line.
It's a Triad Large Rifle Stockpack and you can just pile up velcro strips until it is just right, then cinch it down and it is pretty solid. I'm dead nuts center on my scope from standing and prone, but I still have to shoot it more which is taking some time because a dumb-ass surgeon messed up my right arm and I'm building a new biz.

Actually, I'd envision that it's easier to make an angled one than it is a rounded one. I can see the angled one being a crapload more uncomfortable though, even with the foam pad.

An angled one would only require you to take your cut piece of aluminum sheet, place it in a sheet metal brake, bend to your desired angles, and voila. Then you just have to figure out how to keep your glued cheek pad to adhere to angles that will wear and tear easier.

Just makes more sense to me for XLR to go an extra mile for a radius form and a little less pad worry, but maybe I'm just seeing things how I'd think about it, which is the case I'm sure. As with most things, some will like it, some won't and YMMV.

iggy

I dont mind a little wait, still waiting on my scope as well.

I am starting to think I may need (want) one of these.

Any update on another group buy for the mounting hardware?

Ok, guys. I'll put together a group buy today. I need to get some details around 12pm PST.

I'll post up the details soon. Thanks to everyone for your patience.

Ok I got the pricing on these for a second batch. It looks like from the last run my machinist needs to charge a bit more, the spacers are going to be $20 for a pair with bolts, $5 shipping and paypal fees.

I'll get the page up and running tomorrow.

Guess I better get these now, before I forget.
Thank you sir

Thanks guys, it looks like this GB might not make it. Only a few days to do and 20 more spacers to go.
frown.gif

Thanks for the support on the group buy! Unfortunately we could not get enough buyers to complete it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

All orders have been refunded.

That stinks (the GB not happening); if you want to try again put my on the list. I didn't catch this thread on time.

I can't believe this didn't happen!

I would have jumped on those spacers

Any effective way of installing this?

It would go on a b&c a2 stock

I have a Manners T4 (not adjustable, wasn't offered as T4A in the Group Buy) coming and REALLY want in on this.

Edit: I would bet that some other guys from that GB would be interested as well??

Yes he does.I had a Mcmillan non adjustable that I had considered putting a karsten on until I saw what Joe did for TBannister. The KMW loggerhead adjustable cheek modification he did was Top notch. Sent Mine to Joe and he let me know the day he got itand the day he shipped it back.Five days start to finish! When I got the stock back I was so amazed at how crisp,clean and perfectly aligned the modifacation came out I had to get out my a-5 adjustible to compare.
You did a GREAT job Joe Thank You!
Joe is also a Predator Tactical match sponsor So any of you guys looking to do a stock mod should consider Joe because he supports us shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stockdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check these out
Before
tb2.jpg

after
tb4.jpg
</div></div>

Cost to do this to a Non-Adj McMillan A-5 stock?

He just quoted me $175.00. $125.00 if you supply the KMW Logerhead hardware. I'm shipping mine to him tomorrow.

Up from the dead -

Does ANYONE have a set of the spacers they'd be willing to part with? Or the XLR + spacers?
I thought for sure by the end of this thread - this would be put together in a kit and for sale.
frown.gif

I was very sad to see it is not....lol.....
I don't want to go through the hassle of finding a machine shop to build me spacers.
Thanks for any info -

Up from the dead -

Does ANYONE have a set of the spacers they'd be willing to part with? Or the XLR + spacers?
I thought for sure by the end of this thread - this would be put together in a kit and for sale.
frown.gif

I was very sad to see it is not....lol.....
I don't want to go through the hassle of finding a machine shop to build me spacers.
Thanks for any info -
Any luck?

ha9ugy8e.jpg

After seeing this thread, I decided to give it a try on my Manners. It made a world of difference on how this stock feels. It also looks much cleaner (in my opinion) than a Kydex type piece. Thanks for the idea!

tu9enyru.jpg

uve2e8ez.jpg

Not the best pics due to the lighting & background. I found some 1/4-20 round standoffs from Zoro Tools. I bought the 2" long standoffs and had the length turned down to 1.7", this let them protrude from the stock slightly so the cheek piece would slide against them and not the stock (less likely to scratch the stock). The standoffs are also 1/2" in OD which gives it enough surface / contact area to support the cheek piece.
http://www.zorotools.com/g/Standoff Round Aluminum 1 4-20/00094054/None